Author Topic: Public Class Concepts  (Read 7458 times)

Hatesu

Re: Public Class Concepts
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2013, 12:57:40 AM »
Guess this is as good as place as any to put this. Just a few idea's I would like to see for playable classes in TL2. I don't really feel like going into great detail about skills and such, I am less than creative.

Bard .... I would love to see a decent bard or minstrel class. I haven't seen a decent bard class since Dark age of Camelot, which was an MMO  and not a action RPG. Still it would be nice to see in TL2. They could have a number of songs  at their disposal to either support team members in combat by buffing them with attack speed, run speed mana/hp regen ect. Some songs could be geared towards enemy by doing the opposite. Hinder movement, attack speed ect.

Cleric ... Not everybody likes to run into zergs of mobs. Some  ppl  like myself like to play support roles  like this. I'm unsure how it would effect balance but it would be nice to see a healing class.  One of the tree's could be dedicated to smite spells  to make it interesting.

Casters.... I know  with necro and embermage there are already a few casters but personally I love to blow stuff up with spells. It would be cool to see some other casting  classes  with interesting skills that could effect game play.  I don't have anything specific in mind  as casters as just fun in general.

Ghostblade4802

• Class Developer
  • Synergies Co-Developer!
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2013, 05:15:48 AM »
Bard .... I would love to see a decent bard or minstrel class. I haven't seen a decent bard class since Dark age of Camelot, which was an MMO  and not a action RPG. Still it would be nice to see in TL2. They could have a number of songs  at their disposal to either support team members in combat by buffing them with attack speed, run speed mana/hp regen ect. Some songs could be geared towards enemy by doing the opposite. Hinder movement, attack speed ect.

I had an idea for a Bard not so long ago, after seeing MFS88's awesome two-handed axe guitar. This Bard wouldn't be your average Bard - he'd be a lot more like Eddie Riggs from Brutal Legend, with heavy metal lightning and fire and stuff like that. Probably demons too.

I know that's not what you had in mind, but I think that'd make a more interesting class than a typical D&D Bard setup.

Cleric ... Not everybody likes to run into zergs of mobs. Some  ppl  like myself like to play support roles  like this. I'm unsure how it would effect balance but it would be nice to see a healing class.  One of the tree's could be dedicated to smite spells  to make it interesting.

My only problem with the Cleric is making it different enough to the Paladin to justify it's existence.

On top of that, a dedicated support class, personally, won't fly with me. It would have to have at least SOME damage capability. You could swing it like a WoW Priest, with one tree full holy power, one tree more martial, and another more darker and evil. That might work.

Casters.... I know  with necro and embermage there are already a few casters but personally I love to blow stuff up with spells. It would be cool to see some other casting  classes  with interesting skills that could effect game play.  I don't have anything specific in mind  as casters as just fun in general.

Tried the Techmage before? :D

I've got a class spec half-way done that incorperates a lot of casting. Not exclusively, but lots of lightning and nature spells and all that good stuff. Might be a little while before we see that guy, though.

And I've got an Elementalist spec, again no idea when it'll see the light of day, but he's all planned out. And if you like wierd, crazy gameplay, you're going to love this guy.

alteisen

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2014, 01:44:19 PM »
Is this place also for "I have great idea but I cannot do computer stuff" people?

potterman28wxcv

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2014, 05:51:41 PM »
Is this place also for "I have great idea but I cannot do computer stuff" people?

I suppose so.

Still, if you propose something, you should be aware that it's not possible to modify the mechanics of the game. So, new complex mechanisms are really hard to do.

But, it's possible to add animations, add effects based on other effects, etc..

A typical example or something that is not possible to do (or really hard) : make an enemy losing x% of his life. I mean, if you place an almost infinite amount of damage, you can one shot him, and thus reducing his life by 100%. But you can't make a skill that would do :
"Reduce the health of the target by 25%" for example.

That's the kind of thing that can't be done, because it's not implemented in the Torchlight II engine.

NotEpoch

• King of Trolls
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2014, 10:21:07 PM »

I suppose so.

Still, if you propose something, you should be aware that it's not possible to modify the mechanics of the game. So, new complex mechanisms are really hard to do.

But, it's possible to add animations, add effects based on other effects, etc..

A typical example or something that is not possible to do (or really hard) : make an enemy losing x% of his life. I mean, if you place an almost infinite amount of damage, you can one shot him, and thus reducing his life by 100%. But you can't make a skill that would do :
"Reduce the health of the target by 25%" for example.

That's the kind of thing that can't be done, because it's not implemented in the Torchlight II engine.

Not to spoil your fun, but that actually is easily doable.

potterman28wxcv

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2014, 01:46:31 AM »
Hmm yeah my mistake then ; it's true that if the berzerker skill can regenerate one's health by x%, then if you place a negative value, i suppose it will work as reducing instead of healing ?

That would work if you want to diminish x% of max health ; but for example, if you have a spell that does "Drain half the life of your target". You cast it once against a target who has 1000 HP, it becomes 500. Then you cast it another time, and HP becomes 250, etc..

I think that is currently not that easy to do with guts, but i may be wrong
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 06:11:56 AM by potterman28wxcv »

Deimos

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2015, 09:35:36 PM »
I wanna use and expand the Netherim theme a bit more and post the "Venom Mage" as a concept character/class.

Character/Class type: Spell-caster
Magic/Ability Theme: Netherim (purple and dark blue)
Specialization: Poison, Curses and Minions
Playstyle/Build: Glass cannon (no all damage reduction effect by default)
Weapon type: Staff and wand/dual wield
Charge Bar: WIP

To be continued.....

chiko13th

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2016, 07:07:52 AM »
druid please

arobi

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2016, 02:31:20 PM »
druid please

I'm considering making a druid. Will be a while though.

arobi

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2016, 12:48:13 PM »
druid please

I'm considering making a druid. Will be a while though.

After some research, it does not appear possible to perform shapeshifting. I'm considering making a Druid that has Berserker-like skills (animating a mesh during a skill) instead of a true shapeshifting class.

Thread to look at if you want more details (I hit the same issues as found by others):
http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=59223