Author Topic: Charge Generation and Usage  (Read 3187 times)

Craftea

• Synergies Focus Group
Charge Generation and Usage
« on: April 13, 2013, 11:54:00 PM »
(Bear with me for a bit, because I'm going to be stating some facts)

The Engineer's Charge bar holds up to 5 charges. Charges are generated through dealing damage and through the effects of certain skills. The following skills have effects that generates charges:

- Based on number of enemies hit (Dynamo Field, Shield Bash)
- From killing enemies (Charge Domination)
- Per hit (Supercharge)

There are also certain skills which do not damage Charges, despite dealing damage. They are:

- All summons (Spider Mines, Gun Bot, Sledge Bot, Immobilization Copter)
- Ember Hammer
- Onslaught

Charges are used for the following:

- Passively improving the effects of certain skills (Shield Bash, Ember Reach, Ember Hammer)
- Expended to improve the effects of certain skills (Force Field, Shock Grenade, Flame Hammer)
- Expended to enable further effects (Tremor's Damage)
- Additional passive effect when charge is expended (Charge Reconstitution)

There are also skills that have no direct interaction with Charges (other than dealing damage).

[ To be updated at a further date ]

Flame Hammer Engineers use up charges fairly quickly, but other Engineers usually stockpile Charges for Force Field. In general, I feel that there is a lack of Charge generating and expending skills; the Charge bar does not feel as important as it should to the Engineer.

I'd like to see more skills using and expending charges, and managing charges to be a central and unique aspect of Engineer gameplay.

Thoughts?

BlooDLotuS

Re: Charge Generation and Usage
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 09:16:36 AM »
I agree.
When I first started playing TL2, I thought that the ENG's charge was by far most interesting and fun.

Every skill (well almost) really should contribute to it or derive something from it in one way or another.
Increased effects the less charges are available would be a nice addition.

Also, some of the skills, mainly FF, totally takes priority over all other charge consuming skills...

RaymondLi

• Synergies Focus Group
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 11:31:10 AM »
+1
And not only for melee and summoner, ranged cannon eng cannot get charge if they use skills instead of auto-attack.
Anu belore dela'na

BlooDLotuS

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 12:08:57 PM »
Totally hey.
E.g Cannon Blast eventually replaces a connoneer, at mine's, auto-attack.
It should generate at least some charge, no matter how little.

I'm actually 'working on' a minor overhaul for the ENG.
Wording everything is much harder than one'd think, so that the ideas come across to others as you envision them.

I have't seen the Paladin's skill yet, but really think the Shield skills (SwordBoard, Bash, Bash and Aegis) would compliment him WAY better, seeing as Aegis doesn't trigger with FF on, and FF is basically included in virtually every ENG build.

RaymondLi

• Synergies Focus Group
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 02:10:41 PM »
Totally hey.
E.g Cannon Blast eventually replaces a connoneer, at mine's, auto-attack.
It should generate at least some charge, no matter how little.

I'm actually 'working on' a minor overhaul for the ENG.
Wording everything is much harder than one'd think, so that the ideas come across to others as you envision them.

I have't seen the Paladin's skill yet, but really think the Shield skills (SwordBoard, Bash, Bash and Aegis) would compliment him WAY better, seeing as Aegis doesn't trigger with FF on, and FF is basically included in virtually every ENG build.

Aegis of fate could be trigger with FF on, only when your standing in the middle of a ground of fire ... This is the only case.
Anu belore dela'na

Craftea

• Synergies Focus Group
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 02:01:10 AM »
Aegis of fate could be trigger with FF on, only when your standing in the middle of a ground of fire ... This is the only case.

Aegis of Fate (iirc) has a chance to proc when you lose health. When you get damaged with Forcefield, Forcefield takes the damage instead and you don't lose health (hence you can't proc Forcefield).

Somewhat clunky, personally.

Note that taking damage with Aegis of Fate active won't proc another Aegis of Fate for the same reason.

RaymondLi

• Synergies Focus Group
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 06:28:16 AM »

Aegis of Fate (iirc) has a chance to proc when you lose health. When you get damaged with Forcefield, Forcefield takes the damage instead and you don't lose health (hence you can't proc Forcefield).

Somewhat clunky, personally.

Note that taking damage with Aegis of Fate active won't proc another Aegis of Fate for the same reason.

I did see AoF can be proc with itself on when you are surrounded by monsters.  The proc rate is just way too low.
The best of AoF is actually unlimited duration.
Anu belore dela'na