Author Topic: Storm Embermage Charge  (Read 4761 times)

KooriJoufu

Storm Embermage Charge
« on: April 14, 2013, 02:22:20 AM »
I recently started playing Torchlight II with Synergies and today I got around to messing with the Embermage. Thinking that the storm tree would be pretty interesting I soon noticed one glaring flaw about the spells. None of them besides Prismatic Bolt give you any charge and it's not like the spells were particularly cheap to cast to offset that. When I spec'd into fire I started to actually have fun with the class now that my spells were giving me charge.

Basically my point is that the storm tree's spells should be sustainable without the charge bar, or that the spells should have something about them to warrant their difficulty in working with the charge mechanic.

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
Re: Storm Embermage Charge
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 01:51:32 AM »
I always wondered why they did that... mmm

what could gain charge and not break the class.  Things like Storm Locus shouldn't gain charge, but if prismatic does why doesn't the lightning balls or the lighting spray... hmm
People motivate themselves, and are inspired by others.
--- I love making FUN encounters, the ones that make you scream with terror, and remember them forever! ---
**more awesome then an awesome possum**

Craftea

• Synergies Focus Group
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 07:16:03 AM »
Thunder Locus is the only spell that explicitly states that it does not build charge.

Shocking Orbs and Shock Bolts gain charges.

Arc Beam and Shocking Grasp do not gain charges. These two are channeling spells.

Fire Bombs and Fire Storm from the Fire tree explicitly state that they do not build charge.

Hailstorm from the Ice tree explicitly states that it does not build charge.

Perhaps it is just a quirk of Arc Beam and Shocking Grasp that they do not build charge, rather than a balance/design choice by Runic?

DarkAcheron

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 06:07:48 PM »
arc beam should be buffed a bit and gain charge imo. storm is kinda lackluster besides the pbolt build

Craftea

• Synergies Focus Group
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 08:00:33 AM »
I've heard some stuff about Shocking Orbs being a viable source of damage.

As for Shock Bolts, its the best spell to proc Wand Chaos (and whatever other effects) with.

I don't think those two spells would need any tweaks to their damage. (maybe some other tweaks, though)

Shocking Grasp could immobilize instead of stun, perhaps?

dreams

• Synergies Focus Group
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 08:13:12 AM »
The good thing about shocking orb is that you can anticipate where you are going or where the boss will spawn and pre cast the spell. 30+ orbs with maxed out weapon damage is devastating, even bosses dont stand a chance.

Serene

• Nyohohoho!
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 11:45:01 PM »
Perhaps it is just a quirk of Arc Beam and Shocking Grasp that they do not build charge, rather than a balance/design choice by Runic?

Arc Beam and Shocking Grasp attack too fast. If they could build up charge, they would probably fill up the bar in seconds if used on a single, durable opponent.
"Signatures are overrated."

Craftea

• Synergies Focus Group
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 07:14:41 AM »

Arc Beam and Shocking Grasp attack too fast. If they could build up charge, they would probably fill up the bar in seconds if used on a single, durable opponent.

Certain spells gain charges at a slower rate.

If what you say is true, Arc Beam and Shocking Grasp could easily have been given a drastically reduced charge rate instead of outright neutering their ability to gain charge.

(Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Charge is generated based off damage rather than # of attacks.)

Tregolani

• Synergies Focus Group
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 08:33:35 AM »
I also found the lack of charge-building mechanics in the storm tree to be a bit bothersome. I love games that utilize storm spells, but Torchlight II's storm arsenal was always lacking compared to the fire and frost trees.

I'm currently working on a mod that fixes or at least makes the storm tree more viable outside of a hybrid build. I'm still testing it to find a good balance with Synergies (it's probably going to be a bit too powerful for standard TL2), but if you'd like to check it out, the link is listed below. 

Link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=170361985

The idea is that Arc Beam will be your main nuke spell, but I am also in the process of tweaking Shocking Orb.  I will probably take a look at Shockbolts as well, but it's not high on my priority list at the moment.

EDIT:  I updated my mod - every skill in the Storm tree got a bit of an overhaul.  Most build charge now at fairly balanced rates. 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 07:59:39 AM by Tregolani »