Author Topic: Melee combat and other areas of effect  (Read 2135 times)

xpoferens

Melee combat and other areas of effect
« on: April 22, 2013, 11:45:30 PM »
Just to get the ball rolling on something here.

Forgive me for not researching Runic's forum to see if this kind of subject has been beaten to death, but one primary action which I find myself continuously annoyed by is how TL2 handles melee combat.

It feels like the melee default attack range should be larger. I always have a feeling where I have the player positioned where I want, and attacking, but the attacks whiff the target and the Berzerker strikes air until I manually re-click on the intended target and force the character to change orientation.

I also notice attacks like Frost Breath being able to hit everything that's not at point blank range fine, but completely overshooting targets immediately in front of the character. I can stand directly in front of one urn among several in a line, shoot a Frost Breath, and shatter all but the one which is right in front of me. Is this intended?

Is it within the scope of this mod to address or modify this behavior?

Am I just not playing the character correctly?

Please advise.

Craftea

• Synergies Focus Group
Re: Melee combat and other areas of effect
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 08:13:05 AM »
There is an attack animation associated with attacking. (or "swing speed/time")

If an enemy moves away while your character is in this attack animation, your attack will miss. The same is also true for enemy melee.

Why...? I guess it adds to the gameplay that you can dodge certain attacks and your attacks will miss, so you'd have to think (a little) before you just random decide to swing. (besides, it lets you dodge enemy melee attacks, and kite those really fast mobs)

As for Frost Breath, I'd take a wild guess and say that it's a problem with the AOE.

Intended or not, well, I'm no Runic dev/spokesperson.

xpoferens

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 12:44:13 PM »
I understand that a visible distance gap between the parties will cause a whiff, and that's why knockback resistance is desirable for Berzerker.

What I'm trying to get at is that I feel like I have too many times where an enemy is outside of my attack arc radius, such as in standing to my immediate left or right, and my attacks look like they would strike the target just from the appearance of the attack animation (and the animation visually overlapping the target) but the attacks do not connect. I'm curious to know if there's some way for the mod to address this, either by having some sort of snap-to logic where either melee attacks would automatically change the character's orientation to the closest enemy in melee range, or widen the melee area of effect to the point where this sensation would not occur.

The word I've used to describe this sensation to other players is "sticky", as opposed to "smooth". I feel like I have to struggle with the character's actions and movements to have melee combat occur with a smooth flow.

Craftea

• Synergies Focus Group
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 07:14:10 AM »
Sounds like an animation/coding issue.

I don't know GUTS, so I'm not sure if this is fixable.

Although, I've never had a problem with missing melee attacks. The hit detection seems to work perfectly fine for me.

Do you use the hold position key often when you're meleeing? (default: Shift) That might be what's causing you to 'miss'. If not, I don't know what's causing your problem; you might want to direct this to the official Runic forums, see what they can do.