Author Topic: Outlander static damage spells  (Read 2353 times)

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
Outlander static damage spells
« on: April 24, 2013, 10:23:24 PM »
I am willing to look into balancing the static damage skills of the outlander for the enviroment we play in,  I can't think of much else beyond a few nerfs to acid rain and such like that that I should really be making to this class atm.
People motivate themselves, and are inspired by others.
--- I love making FUN encounters, the ones that make you scream with terror, and remember them forever! ---
**more awesome then an awesome possum**

xpoferens

Re: Outlander static damage spells
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 02:17:12 AM »
Nerfs negate players' investments into their characters.

If one skill out of ten is superior to the other nine, the solution is to make the other nine good instead of making the superior skill suck as much as the other nine.

If making all ten skills good puts too much power imbalance for the player, the solution is to counterbalance by making the enemies tougher, as all skills are only as effective as the threats are susceptible to them.

Moreover, nerfing abilities in your mod will make new players wonder why they should bother using it if their character suddenly sucks with the mod rather than playing without it. "Why doesn't VH work as good here? What the fuck is this? Fuck this mod.", is what they'll say immediately before deleting it.

Never nerf anything. Ever. Ever. Ever.

Ever.

Late edit:  I apologize if this post sounded childish. I just hate nerfs of any kind in this kind of game, because I just see the tendency snowball. "If X got nerfed why not Y?" is how that logic comes, and ten adjustments later instead of having 1 good skill and 9 shitty skills we have 10 shitty skills. I'd prefer to have 10 good skills.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 11:51:35 PM by xpoferens »

sofiloteo

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 02:24:42 AM »
Good dps is the only thing going on for outlander... no base dr, less elemental options than embermage, arguably worse defensive skills. I too believe nerfing it is unneeded. VH damage might be high later on, but its takes a build completely tailored for it and actual gameplay (juggling 3 dervishes, 2 debuffs) to reach omgdamage numbers.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 02:28:19 AM by sofiloteo »

HughManatee

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 09:43:28 AM »
Nerfs negate players' investments into their characters.

If one skill out of ten is superior to the other nine, the solution is to make the other nine good instead of making the superior skill suck as much as the other nine.

If making all ten skills good puts too much power imbalance for the player, the solution is to counterbalance by making the enemies tougher, as all skills are only as effective as the threats are susceptible to them.

Moreover, nerfing abilities in your mod will make new players wonder why they should bother using it if their character suddenly sucks with the mod rather than playing without it. "Why doesn't VH work as good here? What the fuck is this? Fuck this mod.", is what they'll say immediately before deleting it.

Never nerf anything. Ever. Ever. Ever.

Ever.

Late edit:  I apologize if this post sounded childish. I just hate nerfs of any kind in this kind of game, because I just see the tendency snowball. "If X got nerfed why not Y?" is how that logic comes, and ten adjustments later instead of having 1 good skill and 9 shitty skills we have 10 shitty skills. I'd prefer to have 10 good skills.

It all depends on the overall situation though. If one class has one skill that is stronger than anything else, it makes no sense to have to alter all the other classes and monsters in order to re-balance the whole mod to that one skill. Not speaking specifically to the Outlander, but given that we have Salan working alone here and on such a wide variety of projects, time has to come into account... we can't expect him to remake 9 skills when it could be balanced by nerfing 1 skill. That said I totally agree that it would have to be actually balanced, rather than just "made shitty".

Rocket88

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 11:30:03 AM »
I agree with xpoferens - Never. Nerf. Anything. Ever.