Author Topic: Contributions  (Read 2004 times)

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
Contributions
« on: January 08, 2013, 11:31:59 PM »
My policy on accepting contributions:

If it is something I should do that is in the direction of the mod I will consider it.  I will MOST LIKELY ALTER IT before putting it into the synergies.pak.  The reason for this is mod direction/balance.

I will gladly NOT put something someone else has modded into synergies if someone tells me not to either before, or shortly afterwards.  All contributions will be marked and recorded.  After a period of time if the modder asks to have thier mod removed the answer is simply no.  I have most likely changed/altered/worked on it myself and it has become a portion of the mod as a whole and no longer a stand alone mod.

Models/Art that are submitted to synergies as synergies only content will be considered the property of the mod from that point on.  The artists agree to this or the art will be removed at the time of being put into the mod.  If the artist LATER decides synergies does not have the right to the art work and ask it to be removed the answer is simply no, as it is the property of the mod at this point.

(ya im not a legal writer, but im sure someone will give me advice on how to write this correctly)

Basically.. I will take offers, and see if it fits, alter it as needed.  If someone doesn't want this, I will gladly make my own version instead, or not include their art.
People motivate themselves, and are inspired by others.
--- I love making FUN encounters, the ones that make you scream with terror, and remember them forever! ---
**more awesome then an awesome possum**

MFS88

• Edge Master
  • Art Developer
Re: Contributions
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 01:52:38 AM »
Now that's a legal notice ;) but it's a good way to prevent this MOD from being abused by others..

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 02:20:12 AM »
It's definitely prudent...
People motivate themselves, and are inspired by others.
--- I love making FUN encounters, the ones that make you scream with terror, and remember them forever! ---
**more awesome then an awesome possum**

Patches

• Former IT Guy, Lurker of Threads
  • Administrator
  • I am a weather.
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 02:33:52 PM »
GPL is a good license for them to release it to you under.

This file is part of Foobar.

Foobar is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
    it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
    the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
    (at your option) any later version.

Foobar is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
    but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
    MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
    GNU General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
    along with Foobar.  If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.

Basically, when released to you under the GPL (so you don't have to read the whole license like I have) you have the right to modify and redistribute anything under that license. If people don't release to you with a specific license or a legitimate trade mark you are free to do this anyway. However, the GPL will protect you from any possible legal concerns :P

Also states that they can never charge for the works (then again, neither could you).

There is a lot of information on it, and the only thing that is required of them is to say "We release this under the GPL", and a copy of the GPL in a text file with whatever they send you.

Or you can post it here, with a bit more of a formal wording.

Any content, including but not limited to images, code, patches, names, places, or textures
submitted for use in Synergies MOD for Torchlight 2 (henceforth refereed to as "the mod") becomes
the mutual property of both the developer(s) of "the mod" and the creator of the content.
After the point which the content has been modified or integrated into a revision of "the mod" it becomes
the SOLE property of the developer(s) of "the mod", releasing the original creator from all copyrights and ownership of said content.

All content accepted into "the mod", or otherwise submitted was done so with full acknowledgement of this notice.
All software, images, code, patches, names, places, textures, or any other form of content is provided as is WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; implied or otherwise.

Or you know, don't do that. It doesn't matter, just trying to help. I generally release my code and whatnot under the GPL so long as it seems appropriate. Use what you got, or either of the options listed.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 02:35:34 PM by Patches »