Author Topic: FOCUS 2a: Forcefield  (Read 3924 times)

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
FOCUS 2a: Forcefield
« on: October 14, 2013, 11:07:40 AM »
For the discussion on the forcefield.  the idea here will not be to rework the skill, but to make it more reasonable without gutting the build.
People motivate themselves, and are inspired by others.
--- I love making FUN encounters, the ones that make you scream with terror, and remember them forever! ---
**more awesome then an awesome possum**

Craftea

• Synergies Focus Group
Re: FOCUS 2a: Forcefield
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 11:40:29 AM »
For the discussion on the forcefield.  the idea here will not be to rework the skill, but to make it more reasonable without gutting the build.

:P The problem is that Force Field is used in every build.

My main issue is that Force Field is a flat damage skill, that doesn't scale. There is no way to balance it for T1 without having it being broken for T0 and too weak at T2.

entropus

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 03:57:16 PM »
Maybe reworking it as some kind of 3 second invincibility (total) with 15 sec cooldown. rather than a 30K bonus HP.

RaymondLi

• Synergies Focus Group
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 05:59:00 PM »
I still think that the charge bonus is too high.

And if the tier sets can work like WoW -- directly affect on some skills --- then this would be easier balanced.
But it seems impossible.
Anu belore dela'na

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 06:39:56 PM »
I don't think its impossible, you can say have a gear piece give a new stat, and have the skills use the stat for their bonus...  its actually an interesting idea, but would be class requirements without the requirements. hmm

I'll test it with the warlock and hellfire
--- I love making FUN encounters, the ones that make you scream with terror, and remember them forever! ---

dreams

• Synergies Focus Group
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 07:46:01 PM »
Meaning it could be like in D2 where we have +skills affixes? Whereby the affixes power up the skills directly? Oooo this will open up so much more possibilities.

RaymondLi

• Synergies Focus Group
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 08:40:54 PM »
Meaning it could be like in D2 where we have +skills affixes? Whereby the affixes power up the skills directly? Oooo this will open up so much more possibilities.
My thought is that not exactly +skill, but maybe when you cast some skills, the affixes on tier sets or equips would proc a buff on your characters, like an additional tier bonus for several skills.
Anu belore dela'na

dreams

• Synergies Focus Group
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 10:12:59 PM »
My thought is that not exactly +skill, but maybe when you cast some skills, the affixes on tier sets or equips would proc a buff on your characters, like an additional tier bonus for several skills.

Would this be possible?

Ghostblade4802

• Class Developer
  • Synergies Co-Developer!
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 11:19:25 PM »
With statwatchers, I'm convinced basically anything is possible.

BlooDLotuS

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 06:00:33 AM »
How about this:

A
Reduce Charge bonus from 50% to 25%
No longer consumes Charges upon cast (FF is no longer a Charge hog)
However # of Charges when cast will influence the Cooldown/Mana Cost instead.

B
Reduce Charge bonus from 50% to X%
Every Charge consumed increases Cooldown and Mana Cost significantly.

C
All non-melee damage has a 50% chance to bypass the shield
Remove duration

That's all I have for now :z
But face it, if FF was on the other classes, it'd be an instant pick too...
So rather just nerfing the skill, instead it should be made viable for some ENG builds and not so much for others, so that doesn't get included into every freakin' build 'cause it's so good to pass up, same with Heal Bot...

RaymondLi

• Synergies Focus Group
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 08:15:07 AM »

B
Reduce Charge bonus from 50% to X%
Every Charge consumed increases Cooldown and Mana Cost significantly.

I agree on this one if X=15.
And those cannon skills should be able to build charges (should have a 30%-50% charge penalty tho. ) Sorry for off topic.

Anu belore dela'na

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 11:30:16 PM »
totally agree on these points just so you know :)

Ghostblade4802

• Class Developer
  • Synergies Co-Developer!
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 12:38:54 AM »
I'm not sure I'd go for B - there's no effective way to manipulate your charge to get exactly the Forcefield you want, and it's stupidly easy to build charge, so people will most likely end up with the 5 point charge anyway.

I haven't used it, but just looking at it, Forcefield is too safe. 30 second duration with an 8 second cooldown? That seems far too easy to sustain for what it does.

I think we should either:

A)
- Keep it's 8 second cooldown
- Reduce it's duration to somewhere around 10 seconds
- Make it a support/tank ability that you have to focus on, rather than a use-and-forget

Or,

B)
- Increase it's cooldown to something like 45 seconds
- Slightly lower it's duration, something like 20 seconds
- Increase it's power
- Make it more of an SOS skill

dreams

• Synergies Focus Group
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2013, 04:26:12 AM »
I think we need to identify what is "wrong" with FF first and from there try to fix it.

- Is it too powerful? For me not really. Considering we have bosses who bypass it or can smash right through it, it is not that "OP". Maybe we can tone it down a little but i feel it is not the main problem.
- Is it too cost effective? Definitely yes. For what it does, it cost next to nothing and is extremely easy to maintain. More effort should be required to sustain it. Maybe reduce the duration to 10s and make it cost 50% more mana per charge.
- Does it work with all builds? No. Dont work well with charge spenders and because of this, makes alot of skills useless. If we greatly increasing the cost maybe we can still let it be influence by amount of charge but not consume any. I am not so sure about this because i feel the engineer should be about charge management. All skills should consume or build charge.

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2013, 04:34:50 AM »
I think dreams is hitting it basically on the head.

Its not about nerfing the crap out of FF, its about making it work better.. part of that of course is lowering its bonus while allowing it to not gobble up charge itself.