Author Topic: Focus 3: Embermage  (Read 5300 times)

RaymondLi

• Synergies Focus Group
Focus 3: Embermage
« on: October 30, 2013, 04:24:10 PM »
We'll use this thread for discussion of which skills of embermages need to be looked at by devs.

Just balance and tweak instead of rework.

:)
Anu belore dela'na

Ghostblade4802

• Class Developer
  • Synergies Co-Developer!
Re: Focus 3: Embermage
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 08:28:32 PM »
Arc Beam immediately comes to mind. Needs to build charge and/or needs to be longer range.

RaymondLi

• Synergies Focus Group
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 10:23:07 PM »
Arc Beam immediately comes to mind. Needs to build charge and/or needs to be longer range.

At lv 15 the range is OK for me. But at beginning levels, it is too short.
Charge is OK, but maybe need a penalty like 50% or even less.

Arc Beam is a strange skill, that if you have a non-wand weapon in the main hand and a wand in the off hand, the actual DPS is combined from both 2 weapons.
The base frequency is 5 times per second and can be affected by cast speed directly. ( I test this by observing the max armor reduced from the dummy, using a weapon with - XXX all armor per hit)
Anu belore dela'na

Ghostblade4802

• Class Developer
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 10:50:12 PM »
Huh. Weird.

I think we should re-adjust the range - level 15 range is fine, so we reduce the scaling and bring it up more in the early levels.

RaymondLi

• Synergies Focus Group
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 11:26:09 PM »
Currently the range of arc beam is starting at 8 and growing 0.5 per level.

Anu belore dela'na

dreams

• Synergies Focus Group
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 05:29:27 AM »
Channeling skills are generally bad for range builds that need to kite. Maybe let it proc life on hit?

Ghostblade4802

• Class Developer
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 06:42:38 AM »
Heh, Siphon Ray.

I'd be pretty okay with that. I would love to see Arc Beam buffed, I like the concept a lot. Too bad it wasn't very well executed.

dreams

• Synergies Focus Group
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 07:06:14 AM »
Ya dont really fit the theme. :P I think it just need something to help the build tank or help keep mobs away while channeling. Would chance to immobilize be too OP?

Ghostblade4802

• Class Developer
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 09:02:39 AM »
I'm not sure a chance to Immobilise would fit either.

I always thought Arc Beam should have a stacking armour debuff of some kind, like it's a laser cutter.

Momiji

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 10:08:15 AM »
I'm not sure a chance to Immobilise would fit either.

I always thought Arc Beam should have a stacking armour debuff of some kind, like it's a laser cutter.

Maybe we can give it a chance to shatter enemy shields then? :P

ONE thing I've had problems with my embermage on elite, is the TON of shield-bearing mobs in Act 1. The only reliable shield-breaking skill that you can get early for the class is Magma Mace....at level 15 for tier 1 iirc, for a 25% chance...

Maybe Arc Beam would actually be legit in /at least/ an early build if it did something useful. Just a random thought.

RaymondLi

• Synergies Focus Group
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 10:32:42 AM »
Arc beam is very hard for an early build, because:
1. long cast warm-up and stop-attack animation: minimum cast animation: 1200ms
2. too low damage rate: lv 1 DPS =10% *5 < auto attack
3. too short range for beginning levels
4. cannot build charge

Add shatter-shield or armor-degrading can only help one or two respects above.
Anu belore dela'na

RaymondLi

• Synergies Focus Group
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 11:51:26 AM »
Only arc beam is all you concern? I will try to open a new topic for arc beam and paste all you guys' posts to it.

Any other skills?
I feel firebombs is too weak.
The astral ally as well.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 11:58:58 AM by RaymondLi »
Anu belore dela'na

Momiji

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 06:01:18 PM »
Only thing I can think of is maybe altering magma mace's tier bonuses, so the shield-break is part of the base skill, and the tier one bonus could increase that to 50%?

In vanilla, shields aren't a big problem, but in synergies on ELITE and with all the random affixes, and hero mobs with tons of HP, sometimes for me shields can just be a total turnoff for a play session...it really makes me NOT want to ever play embermage on Act 1 in synergies...

Other than that I really like the skill, the stun gives it good useage when things get close, and life/mana steal proc is nice too, as well as the 100% chance that other hits proc fire brand, since it gives fire DoT
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 06:03:29 PM by Momiji »

dreams

• Synergies Focus Group
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2013, 08:28:32 PM »
Elemental Boon - Guess runic wanted it to be a support for burst damage but the boost is really weak. Maybe reduce the CD so that it becomes a skill with 100% uptime? So that it is a constant boost instead of burst damage.
Shocking Burst - Weak damage and range. Not really sure what to change without changing how it works. Anyone who uses this skill can give some suggestions?

Can the fire bombs' fire pool proc? I have a wand from another mod that gives me the fire pools and it can proc wand chaos. So was wondering whether it was the wand or the mechanics of the pool.

RaymondLi

• Synergies Focus Group
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2013, 11:51:51 PM »
Shocking burst has ~1.5-2 times more damage per hit than arc beam (when you have equal strength and focus), and 7.7 times attack per second (~55% faster than arc beam), and can be affected by cast speed as well. (Test this by observing the max armor reduced with a -all armor per hit wand)
Nobody mentions arc beam has low damage issue except me. Now here is a 2 or 3 times stronger skill ...
It can be amplified by Strength, focus (as electric damage), and electric damage bonus% and cannot proc any spell effect (glacial spike, etc) or steal effect.
If you have a good DPS weapon and high cast speed, the damage is really insane.

Can the fire bombs' fire pool proc? I have a wand from another mod that gives me the fire pools and it can proc wand chaos. So was wondering whether it was the wand or the mechanics of the pool.

It was the wand, absolutely. Fire pool is a flat damage skill, which probably doesn't even have options to proc any spells.
And wandchaos itself already says very clear: only auto attack and magma spear, magma mace, icy blast, shock bolts can proc wandchaos.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 12:06:30 AM by RaymondLi »
Anu belore dela'na