Author Topic: RoD Harder than DK Leveling?  (Read 5320 times)

hokewi

RoD Harder than DK Leveling?
« on: November 04, 2013, 06:04:07 PM »
Disclosure:  I've lurked here for a little and registered to make this post in particular.  I assume responsibility for any and all beatings that result from this kind of first post.

I've been playing Synergies for a couple of months and been having a blast.  I had been leveling a few characters up in DK Leveling (Elite Difficulty), because I grew weary of iterating through the story repeatedly and it was working really well.  My current distraction is a 72 Cannoneer.

With the new Realms of Discord/Ember Steps I'm constantly being insta-gibbed immediately after zoning into the first map/realm.  I can't figure out if there's something different about the new leveling area that requires a change in tactics/gear/gems or if the general difficulty is ratcheting up on account of my level.  In the old DK-Leveling I would occasionally get a bad spawn of an ancient troll and nasty hero that would kill me at the entrance, but for the most part I could grind through the zones if I paid attention to what I was doing.  In addition, when I did die the downtime was really short to get back into the action.  Now, even if I put a portal down in the "Ember Steps" zone, I still have to traverse it before I can get back into action.

TL;DR:  I probably suck, but I feel like the new leveling area is substantially harder than the old one.

Any thoughts or insight?

GulyFMG

Re: RoD Harder than DK Leveling?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 06:39:07 PM »
What do you have for gear? Maybe you have little damage reduction our are undergear, how much HP do you have?

I have a level 40 necro that was bread in the RoD im still in act 1 and in the first mission loool.  :D but in my experience you need some DR and a CC skill i know the engi as a shield, cant remember the name  :(.

I know the class is different but i have phase to evade those attack that you cant run a CC skill bone cage to stop a monster from following me lol gives me time to recover and bone armor for that ranged attack and extra armor.

Im sorry that i cant give any thoughts about the engi but never played with one. :(

Bue

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 08:04:21 PM »
There are still levels where it appears that the zone-in breather space hasn't yet been implemented.  Some of the zone-ins can still be quite, um, overwhelming :)

Such as this one:

This one I survived, but it's about 50/50 when this kind of zone in happens.     One CC isn't going to save me, and a quick escape move *may* buy me space, but often it does not.  Sometimes I just run into another pack, and just try to get a few licks in before I die.

If I was still leveling my summoneer, I would probably use tremor, then force burst (Onslaught would serve same purpose) to get my bots up so that maybe I could finish them off.   

I don't think Salan intended to make this harder to level.  This does not include the boss for the Halloween quest -- my little necro hasn't managed to kill Peake yet, haha, but we were forewarned that fight was not written for lower level characters.  However, she was able to finish the quest to get the War Titan and earn a magnificent soul :)

With the exception of the Peake fight and the zone-in mobbings, I'm finding the Ember Steps to be about the same difficulty as the the DK leveling zones, and I love the variety.  I'm finding the phase beast boss rather tough on my lower level characters, but I saw in the development notes that Salan is planning on tuning him down a bit.

hokewi, may I suggest you post some screenshots of where this happens?  It might help Salan tune the dungeons. 

If you're getting frustrated, an alternative I used sometimes when the old DK leveling was still in place, would be to go to Selrock and do a quest or two from there, or buy a portal to the Clockwork Castle and just kill champs for awhile (the xp in Clockwork Castle was very good, btw.  My husband and I pushed to reach level 100 in time for the Halloween quest there, and it worked out well). 

And welcome to the forums :)

Regards,
Bue

hokewi

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 08:29:21 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  Like Bue said, I think it might be a mix of my gear and getting unlucky with the zone spawns.  At 72, I'm at around ~6800HP, 1K armor and no DR-All gems yet.  I don't even think I've seen anything but physical damage reduction gems yet, but I guess they'll come.  Up to this point I have been gemming completely offensively to melt things before they get to me, but it might be time to pivot to a more defensive strategy.

I had recently started doing some of the quests/scrolls in Selrock, so I think I'll give those a try for a while with Clockwork Castle and with some Realms mixed in.

Thanks for the suggestions!

GreatName

• Sound Developer
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 08:34:57 PM »
DR helps a ton, focus on grabbing some of that and you should be golden  ;)

Watch Torchlight 2 Videos on GreatName's YouTube Channel

Ghostblade4802

• Class Developer
  • Synergies Co-Developer!
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 08:56:39 PM »
The bigget problem I have is getting swamped by world bosses as soon as I walk in - the portal guy, Grell, a dragon, the Artificer and god knows how many adds happen about one out of three times.

Less world bosses and more Hero mobs would be good. And making that big portal guy spawn only in certain rooms (so he isn't part of the welcome party) would also be good.

Bue

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 09:03:32 PM »
You're not seeing Limoany gems drop?  I would have thought those (and Reichlius for HP) would have started dropping for you by now.

Regards,
Bue

Ghostblade4802

• Class Developer
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 09:10:08 PM »
Me?

A couple of level 100 gems, I think, no idea what they are. Some souls too, even a top level (4-cell) one.

Can't use any of it yet, barely level 20. Which is probably why I'm getting my ass kicked so much.

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 09:53:49 PM »
I made a 10 to 20 no spawn box around the portal in.  The problem is some of the bigger monsters you can run into have a lot larger view range than any spawn box, and other monsters have larger damage react ranges so when something DOES get hit, they come looking as well, even if they can't see it.

The thing with these maps is they are smaller and you are spawning in the center of teh maps rather then the edge.  I wanted to create a non linear direction for each map in MOST cases.   

I could make the box a bit bigger in most of the maps I guess.
People motivate themselves, and are inspired by others.
--- I love making FUN encounters, the ones that make you scream with terror, and remember them forever! ---
**more awesome then an awesome possum**

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 09:56:29 PM »
The bigget problem I have is getting swamped by world bosses as soon as I walk in - the portal guy, Grell, a dragon, the Artificer and god knows how many adds happen about one out of three times.

Less world bosses and more Hero mobs would be good. And making that big portal guy spawn only in certain rooms (so he isn't part of the welcome party) would also be good.

In almost all my testings i'd be lucky to run into 1 "boss" (vanilla or mine) once every 2 or 3 levels, and hero's weren't all that often either.     
--- I love making FUN encounters, the ones that make you scream with terror, and remember them forever! ---

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 09:58:19 PM »
I'll see what I can do for the zone ins after work tonight.

Ghostblade4802

• Class Developer
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 10:01:57 PM »
Maybe I'm just rediculously unlucky. I can say that getting swarmed by the portal guy and at least one other boss happens every other map, makes the first fight stupidly hard and the rest of the map kinda weak.

I know the random element is the thing with RoD, but still.

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 11:42:06 PM »
Still nothing.. in going to make them look for you harder... muhahah.. whatdid i say above?

Bue

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 04:17:29 AM »
Me?

A couple of level 100 gems, I think, no idea what they are. Some souls too, even a top level (4-cell) one.

Can't use any of it yet, barely level 20. Which is probably why I'm getting my ass kicked so much.

Heh, I was asking hokewi

hokewi

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 05:31:23 PM »
I've gotten a total of one Limoany skull and a few decent HP skulls, which I have in my stash, I'll start tossing them in my upgrade pieces.