Author Topic: A noobs View of the Paladin  (Read 4963 times)

R3DSKULL

A noobs View of the Paladin
« on: November 08, 2013, 06:27:45 AM »
Hello everyone i just wanted to say Synergies is awesome, I am a super diablo 2 fan and when the turd that was diablo 3 came around i was hella disappointed waiting 10 years for this utter piece of.... I then luckily discovered the minds behind Torchlight were some of the minds behind D2, So i got a hold of it and wow its awesome but i felt it was lacking some classes and a few tweaks. Then i stumbled on the synergies mod with the release of the workshop for T2. I have to say wow. When i first came out the paladin wasn't complete so i waited to play it. Just a few days ago i reentered the life of the paladin. I have to say well done i do enjoy the work put forth i am grateful for a chance to play this iconic character in such an awesome world. But as always i have some questions and suggestions.

1. is it my game or are 2 skills incomplete stuck in the mode to place a point with no skill present? I get this at the divinity skills tab the second tier skill seems to be nothing atm. Also the tier 4 skills in the justice skill. I wasnt sure if these are just incomplete or i have a bug or something.   also i want to point out a bug i found with Rightous Charge this skill will not always work properly especially facing up or down ramps or stairs it wont go down them like the berserkers skill does. 

2.I am sure there are a plethora of suggested skill if those 2 skills are unfinished and its not a bug, if so id like to make some suggestions here. For the Divinity skill set in number 2 i suggest a shield skill as its traditional for a paladin to role with a big ass shield. Maybe a shield bash skill or something to enhance his shield in some way. I have not yet noticed anything that focuses on the classic nature of a paladin and his big ass shield. (i run mace weapons and Shield semi traditional more D&D cleric style).  The other skill is under the Justice skill tree i suggest an aura of resists that when wearing a shield grants the paladin another special bonus when active for resists similar to divine bulwark but not proc based but active based. and as it lvls up you get more resits and more time for activation duration at more mana costs.

3.Lastly the most important to me Angelic embrace. This skill as many seem to come waaay to early. The skills dont seem to scale properly with the vanilla, I feel this skill should not be acquirable till much later in the game much like in D2 the amazon had the valkarie. As for leveling it i am going to look back to the valkarie, I believe as it levels up the first 5 levels the angel should gain more hp,attack so on grow stronger so to say the angel should never hit near as hard as the hero but tank waaay more than the hero. at lvl 5 this is key it should get a special skill like a vengeance skill when hit at a certain % to all enemies surrounding the angel. Also change its appearance with each of the tiers. The current model is cool but its more like empty armor with angel wings. As it hits lvl 5 and it could then say change to white wings and its appearance of its armor to white armor and now have a glowing face. Then say at lvl 10 it now floats and its wings flap and now its sword shoots instead of swings. Its lvl 10 skill could be holy wrath it shoots holy fire from it sword. And then at lvl 20 it looks like a full blown divine angel and its really nasty.   

I do hope you give the angel part the most consideration for the paladin comparing to the D2 valkarie which did infact change appearance with lvls, as well as strengths and abilities. If changing models and animations is too hard per 5 lvls maybe reworking the skills it has at each lvl to have a large effect on it so its not just another pet or minion but more of a divine companion. Also the skills i hope they get reworked to tier more with vanillla i feel getting final skills at lvl 19 a bit disappointing. Those skills i believe should be lvl 30 to 40ish. I saw a post on this i and i do hope its being taken very seriously.

Also last questions for you wonderful guys at this great mod. I have notices 3 classes since idk last year? how come so much more focus on world shaping rather than new class creations? I do admit the fact that this mod offered 99 new upcoming classes had me the most sold over anything, and im not in one bit complaining about the awesome new monsters and world shaped stuff. but i would like to see classes get alot more focus than the world imho thats what its about to me.

thanks synergy people Salan and ghost and whoever else helps them i look foward to seeing the new classes ninjas or whatever else you got in store dont give up your doing amazing work.

Buddahpal

Re: A noobs View of the Paladin
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 09:41:33 AM »
Well as to the working on classes as far as i know Ghost has been the only one working on the paladin now while Salan is working on other stuff, and Ghost is having his final right now and said he cant really do any work on it until the end of November.

The 2 skills are missing right now but i do think he has idea for them already, but again he needs to find time to work on the class.

Ghostblade4802

• Class Developer
  • Synergies Co-Developer!
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 10:03:52 AM »
Hey! Thanks for playing the class while it's still WIP, and taking the time to post about it. I really appreciate it :D

1. is it my game or are 2 skills incomplete stuck in the mode to place a point with no skill present? I get this at the divinity skills tab the second tier skill seems to be nothing atm. Also the tier 4 skills in the justice skill. I wasnt sure if these are just incomplete or i have a bug or something.   also i want to point out a bug i found with Rightous Charge this skill will not always work properly especially facing up or down ramps or stairs it wont go down them like the berserkers skill does.

Nope, those skills are blank. I have plans to slightly change up the Divinity tree, and that involves making a tier 2 ability.

I've had so many different ideas for Justice's tier 4. I'll get back to you on that one.

As for Righteous Charge, that is weird. I'll look into it when I have the time.

2.I am sure there are a plethora of suggested skill if those 2 skills are unfinished and its not a bug, if so id like to make some suggestions here. For the Divinity skill set in number 2 i suggest a shield skill as its traditional for a paladin to role with a big ass shield. Maybe a shield bash skill or something to enhance his shield in some way. I have not yet noticed anything that focuses on the classic nature of a paladin and his big ass shield. (i run mace weapons and Shield semi traditional more D&D cleric style).  The other skill is under the Justice skill tree i suggest an aura of resists that when wearing a shield grants the paladin another special bonus when active for resists similar to divine bulwark but not proc based but active based. and as it lvls up you get more resits and more time for activation duration at more mana costs.

I have the Divinity skill locked down. A few people have requested this particular skill, and it fits the support-y feel of Divinity perfectly.

As for Justice, it'll probably be something AOE-ish? Or maybe a buff?
...That probably didn't inspire much confidence.

3.Lastly the most important to me Angelic embrace. This skill as many seem to come waaay to early. The skills dont seem to scale properly with the vanilla, I feel this skill should not be acquirable till much later in the game much like in D2 the amazon had the valkarie. As for leveling it i am going to look back to the valkarie, I believe as it levels up the first 5 levels the angel should gain more hp,attack so on grow stronger so to say the angel should never hit near as hard as the hero but tank waaay more than the hero. at lvl 5 this is key it should get a special skill like a vengeance skill when hit at a certain % to all enemies surrounding the angel. Also change its appearance with each of the tiers. The current model is cool but its more like empty armor with angel wings. As it hits lvl 5 and it could then say change to white wings and its appearance of its armor to white armor and now have a glowing face. Then say at lvl 10 it now floats and its wings flap and now its sword shoots instead of swings. Its lvl 10 skill could be holy wrath it shoots holy fire from it sword. And then at lvl 20 it looks like a full blown divine angel and its really nasty.   

I do hope you give the angel part the most consideration for the paladin comparing to the D2 valkarie which did infact change appearance with lvls, as well as strengths and abilities. If changing models and animations is too hard per 5 lvls maybe reworking the skills it has at each lvl to have a large effect on it so its not just another pet or minion but more of a divine companion. Also the skills i hope they get reworked to tier more with vanillla i feel getting final skills at lvl 19 a bit disappointing. Those skills i believe should be lvl 30 to 40ish. I saw a post on this i and i do hope its being taken very seriously.

One idea I had for Angelic Embrace was changing the angel based on which tree you had the most points in. I scrapped that a while ago, though. Didn't work out.

The idea of the angel 'leveling' with the player is an interesting one, but it might make it too powerful. I'm not sure what I want to do with the Angel - I'm not fond of the permanent summon idea, using it like a companion instead of a summon, and I really like this idea of summoning different angels based on whatever. Need to think about this.

Also last questions for you wonderful guys at this great mod. I have notices 3 classes since idk last year? how come so much more focus on world shaping rather than new class creations? I do admit the fact that this mod offered 99 new upcoming classes had me the most sold over anything, and im not in one bit complaining about the awesome new monsters and world shaped stuff. but i would like to see classes get alot more focus than the world imho thats what its about to me.

thanks synergy people Salan and ghost and whoever else helps them i look foward to seeing the new classes ninjas or whatever else you got in store dont give up your doing amazing work.

After school dies down, I'll be getting back into the mod a lot more. That's the plan, anyway. You'll be seeing a lot more Paladin updates around then, as Buddahpal said, roughly around late November-early December.

As for my next class... well, let's just say that it's the opposite of the Paladin.

;)

Buddahpal

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 11:36:51 AM »
As for my next class... well, let's just say that it's the opposite of the Paladin.

;)

Hmm now im really wondering. Something like a shaman? or a death knight? You have me intrigued indeed now.

GreatName

• Sound Developer
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 02:30:15 PM »
We have no problem waiting for updates Ghost, you go ace those finals  8)

Watch Torchlight 2 Videos on GreatName's YouTube Channel

Ghostblade4802

• Class Developer
  • Synergies Co-Developer!
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 07:58:18 PM »

;)

Hmm now im really wondering. Something like a shaman? or a death knight? You have me intrigued indeed now.

You'll just have to wait and see. :D

We have no problem waiting for updates Ghost, you go ace those finals  8)

Thanks!

R3DSKULL

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 10:19:02 PM »
Thanks for the quick replies and solid feedback i appreciate that. It means a lot to me as a player to be heard. As for your next class i hope a death/dark knight :) mwhahaha. 

But as for the angel. yeah i think scaling it up with each 5 lvls means its growing and if you can change the model every 5 levels thats huge. I gave it a bit more thought today while me and my buddy bashed some fiends with our paladins, i dont think if you stick to the diablo 2 style valkarie like the amazon had it would be OP, i just think this skil shouldnt be available to 30ish to 40ish and when it hits lvl 15 its endgame lvl. I remember the valkarie was not super strong in offence more there to take a beating for you it had fook tons of HP and reists and could take a massive beating, and would always wield a spear. but the image would change a bit as your progressed its lvl and it would get stronger.

Here i think the angel as it is now is like a low lvl angel warrior sent down to help our holy warrior and its first 4 lvls are giving it more solid focus on just hp damage and all around growth to scale with teh character. But when it hits lvl 5 it transforms. Its wings are white now its armor white and gold and glowing from the face and now it gets a skill. I myself would give it something like holy vengeance say it gets surrounds it has a % chance per lvl till it hits max lvls. so as it gets surrounded it will do a holy swipe damaging all foes in a circle.  Then say at lvl 10 now it transforms yet again its the angel flying or floating. give it some new fancier armor more glowey angel looking stuff and now it has a new skill holy wrath instead of fighting hand to hand slashing with sword it shoots, like fire/light/justice type damage combo and when enemies get close it will only melee when surrounds if the lvl 5 skill is procked. Then you get to the ultimate endgame lvl at your character say 75 or 80 something like that and now the angel is a full blown angel some sick tyriel or flashy angelic arsty type flying thing that shoots, has the melee surround defense but maybe the last is it can heal you or it can randomly resurrect itself upon death. Say its final skill is 10% chance to resurrect upon death. Giving it a 1 in 10 chance and then that saves you the mana cost. Also i think 35 mana is far to low it should take most of a paladins mana bar to cast it. Maybe if paladin has say 250mana or 300 it takes 175. or just make it take 3/4 of whatever the amount of mana you have is so you cannot recast right away.

Anyways thanks love to hear what you think guys.

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 10:29:43 PM »
he doesn't have a model change for it thou, its a unique model itself.  size and weapon size and weapon choice is changeable rather easily thou and skills that it does.
People motivate themselves, and are inspired by others.
--- I love making FUN encounters, the ones that make you scream with terror, and remember them forever! ---
**more awesome then an awesome possum**

R3DSKULL

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2013, 03:17:18 AM »
yeah i was curious how the files worked with that. If it was possible at lvl 5 to make it look to a different model but from what i gather your saying is weapons can change like that as in when you cast the spell it looks to a model you point it to in the client yes? There is no way to make it at different stages of spell casting to look to different models? I would assume it could change armor as easily as it does weapons? Yeah it seemed like a unique model its pretty nice it works well in that art style which i imagine is hard to copy. But thus far you guys have done quite well at that with the pets and other changes you added.

I am not sure but let me ask if it works likes this when you have a spell cast it links to a model, then that model or effect is linked to that spell, levels i.e 1-5 only change with stats in the database not with images. is there a way to add effects to new skills. Say example you have a basic fire slam, at lvl 5 it gets a feature where it burns more and can you can you not add a new gfx to the animation at that point or is it still referencing the only gfx, skin or animations from the lvl 1 of the spell? Because maybe if you can add gfx as the lvls progress you can instead of adding gfx use that to change the model, either as the entire model or as armor,weapons so on.

I cant think of any vanilla skills that really change visually with lvls is there any?

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 04:52:55 AM »
you could, but the winged model is very unique and we only have the one.
People motivate themselves, and are inspired by others.
--- I love making FUN encounters, the ones that make you scream with terror, and remember them forever! ---
**more awesome then an awesome possum**

Olinelooo

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2016, 05:43:53 AM »
The skills dont seem to scale properly with the vanilla, I feel this skill should not be acquirable till much later in the game much like in D2 the amazon had the valkarie. As for leveling it i am going to look back to the valkarie, I believe as it levels up the first 5 levels the angel should gain more hp,attack so on grow stronger so to say the angel should never hit near as hard as the hero but tank waaay more than the hero. at lvl 5 this is key it should get a special skill like a vengeance skill when hit at a certain % to all enemies surrounding the angel. Also change its appearance with each of the tiers.????
== Solitaire ==

force_of_Chaos

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2016, 11:38:50 AM »
tanking would be useful had it not been for the fact that anything of rarity grade higher then elite hero focuses. minion necs are a pain to play at times...