Author Topic: Inherent damage reduction change to melee classes?  (Read 5384 times)

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
Inherent damage reduction change to melee classes?
« on: November 10, 2013, 10:15:57 PM »
One of the things I don't want is inherent bonus's that bypass gear and boss designs in the end game of the mod.

To this end I was thinking maybe synergies should change ALL inherent damage reductions (engineer, berserker, paladin, any future melee classes) from reducing ALL damage to only reducing Physical damage.

MOST monsters in the leveling portion of the game deal specifically physical damage.  Not all, but MOST.  This would mean these 'melee' classes still maintain a distinct advantage for having to be close range and getting hit by physical attacks.   Against bosses this would mean your gear is more important, and the meleeish classes that have this reduction would no longer have a easier time gearing in the end game over the embermage, outlander, necromancer and warlock when it comes to survival.

As far as I am concerned this is a done deal in my mind, I am simply posting it here to hear objections and to give consideration for other opinions as while I can see the reason why this would be a huge benefit to the mod as a whole, I am not the only one playing it, even if I make the final choice on the matter.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 10:17:45 PM by Salan »
People motivate themselves, and are inspired by others.
--- I love making FUN encounters, the ones that make you scream with terror, and remember them forever! ---
**more awesome then an awesome possum**

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
Re: Inherent damage reduction change to melee classes?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 10:16:48 PM »
What I look to do is:

DAMAGE TAKEN: -25% to all damage

changed to

DAMAGE TAKEN: -25% to Physical damage

on the berserker, engineer, paladin, any other class that is part of synergies and has the -25% damage reduction ALL..
--- I love making FUN encounters, the ones that make you scream with terror, and remember them forever! ---

Ghostblade4802

• Class Developer
  • Synergies Co-Developer!
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 10:36:54 PM »
No real objection from me, my question is how do we update it? I tried doing this with the Paladin not too long ago, editing those values and running the minimod over Synergies to see if the class updated, and it didn't turn out well.

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 11:48:21 PM »
I'll have to figure it out.. I think I can make it work.

potterman28wxcv

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 06:39:28 AM »
I agree with you ; especially when you use these classes (I do) not to be melee, that gives a great advantage over the other classes.

dreams

• Synergies Focus Group
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 08:06:22 AM »
Dont think there would be much of a difference end game but would it be too much of a nerf early game? For example having to melee in the act 1 frozen area with all the tornadoes.

Hoborific

• Synergies Focus Group
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 10:12:04 PM »
Running through a pally on vet, now the pally has the 25% DR inheritance I've been able to survive just barely but a lot more than I did the first time. We would have to re roll characters for this change, no?

But I agree with it, at the end of the day there's DR sockets and gears and i'm all for balance.
Hello.

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 12:12:43 AM »
the intention would be not to have to reroll.

Seikusa

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 05:58:33 PM »
Not a fan of the change, since being melee you would have to tank all the spells enemies throw at you, since you want to continue hitting them. for physical damage we have dodge.
as range will try to dogde that all, so give them a little of damage reduction instead of nerfing other classes.

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2013, 02:52:51 AM »
you totally miss the reasoning behind the change

gytfunke

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 03:18:49 PM »
The easiest way to do that would probably be to add an affix-overriding passive skill to each class.  This is assuming that passive skills added to the base class files will activate for pre-existing characters.  Give it a 'Charm', 'Offense' or 'Defense' type and make it hidden, don't add it to the UI and you should be golden to have a little hidden skill hook to make whatever changes you want to pre-existing characters.

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 03:29:54 PM »
was a discussion from middle/end of last year.. hmm

its all good, the recent change addressed this by giving everyone the same DR for leveling and increased the end game to compensate.

its a bit harder for the berserker/engineer as  for them end game its an addition they didn't have, for the other classes its a bonus they didn't have. 

It will work itself out once the tier1 soulcrafting gear is available.  Tier0 gear will present more challenges for tier1, as it should be.

also right now the mod runs an aura in each of the towns (except zyphersh it didn't like me there... so I had to leave it out) so just going to a town will swap the DR.

keyzr

• Art Developer
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 03:33:30 AM »
Not a fan of the change, since being melee you would have to tank all the spells enemies throw at you, since you want to continue hitting them. for physical damage we have dodge.
as range will try to dogde that all, so give them a little of damage reduction instead of nerfing other classes.

A great +1 the only thing i liked while playing was playing my berserker as a melee char raiding. Salan despite all my warning just destroyed it...
Tier 1 will resolve things yes but with this nerf hoping for getting a tier 1 piece as the same chance rate than winning the million playing lotto... ( in elite of course)
But as there are plans to make synergies mode in elite difficulty only
Congratz again and thank you for removing this pleasure, this simply made me stop synergies mod.
Good bye all

Bue

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 09:02:53 AM »
Keyzr, I'm not sure I understand -- the berserker didn't lose anything, the other classes that didn't have the DR reduction got a buff.  I admit I was concerned that my berserker would get trashed in DF, with the increased debuff, so I ran through Darknessfalls to see how she would do.  She did fine, except for the Executioner, which always has been a problem for me with her anyway.

I know Salan is planning on reworking the berserker -- he is aware that something does need to happen as the berserker (and the other melee oriented-classes) effectively no longer has an inherent class-based bonus like the other classes do.   The berserker is my favourite, and I was bummed that she didn't gain anything by the change.  I suppose I do have the option to drop down from Elite difficulty to get through the content, but that is something I just won't do.  It would be a game-breaker for me.  However, after running through DF to make sure it wasn't going to be an exercise in frustration, I feel better about it, and don't have concerns that I won't be able to get the Tier 1 gear with her.  Instead, I am looking forward to the rework.  Just no more nerfs to my beloved berserker, please :)

Regards,
Bue

Miothan

• Bring in the dead, for the living has no use!
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2014, 12:24:02 PM »

A great +1 the only thing i liked while playing was playing my berserker as a melee char raiding. Salan despite all my warning just destroyed it...
Tier 1 will resolve things yes but with this nerf hoping for getting a tier 1 piece as the same chance rate than winning the million playing lotto... ( in elite of course)
But as there are plans to make synergies mode in elite difficulty only
Congratz again and thank you for removing this pleasure, this simply made me stop synergies mod.
Good bye all

That seems like an overly exaggerated kneejerk reaction to needing 25 more DR in end-game O_o, Berserker is not worse of than any other class.
What was once dead, can be made into servants of death and destruction. Feast on the innocent, slaughter the weak and punish those who would stand in your way!