Author Topic: UI for SynergiesMOD  (Read 15062 times)

CrazyBadger

• Pandas are black, white and asian. Just sayin'.
UI for SynergiesMOD
« on: November 15, 2013, 08:00:29 AM »
I was just wondering if Salan, or any of the devs really, are having plans on making a UI for synergies. A standalone mod that would sort of be the "official" UI mod for synergies. I know Salan has released a UI for Synergies but i was thinking more in the lines of Evil UI or D3 UI. Sort of a total conversion of the UI if you will.

If the only thing that's missing for such a thing to happen are the resources (images for the elements of the UI), I'd gladly help with that.

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
Re: UI for SynergiesMOD
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 11:29:37 AM »
heh, having resources for it would definitely make it more desirable.  I haven't delved deeply in the UI lately.  mmm it would be a good thing.  Maybe a few essential mod mimics myself so people can stop using so many compilations.
People motivate themselves, and are inspired by others.
--- I love making FUN encounters, the ones that make you scream with terror, and remember them forever! ---
**more awesome then an awesome possum**

potterman28wxcv

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 12:10:03 PM »
In the case you make it, I've got a suggestion : on some UI there is a heath/sec and mana/sec indicator on the respective health and mana globes (I'm thinking mostly of the LurkerHUD, which looks like this :

There you can see on each globes the %, the amount, and the regeneration rate of health & mana.

That would be nice if there were these two indicators in Synergies too (please note I'm not speaking of all the other indicators ; some people may not like having them)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 09:37:38 AM by potterman28wxcv »

CrazyBadger

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 05:51:45 AM »
I'll try to make a sort of "mashup" where the elements would be, how much information is available at first glance etc. Rearrange the elements a bit.

The actual graphics would then come later. Note that those would just be mashups (read: screenshots) and wouldn't be an actual mod file.
As i said, I'd happily offer my artistic services, but the actual creation of the hud would be someone else's work.

We would of course collaborate on this, and as i see it, anyone is free to join if they can contribute.

Taran

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 02:23:39 AM »
Not a big fan of all the stats on screen. Its to much imo. I can simply hit J and check everything i need easily.
In every person there are 2 dogs fighting...one Good and one Evil. The one that wins is the one you feed the most.
PSN: Taran_Omega / Steam ID: tpanciera

potterman28wxcv

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 06:49:33 AM »
Indeed :
In the case you make it, I've got a suggestion : on some UI there is a heath/sec and mana/sec indicator on the respective health and mana globes (I'm thinking mostly of the LurkerHUD, which looks like this :
... image ...

That would be nice if there were these indicators in Synergies too (I'm not speaking of all the other indicators ; some people may not like having them)

CrazyBadger

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 07:26:37 AM »
Well, you can tell the health/mana % by the globe (how full it is), i was thinking having (small) toggle buttons for numbers on the globes (current health/mana and small regen numbers).

Also thinking or moving the side buttons (tabs?) for inventory, skils, pet, stats, etc. to somewhere else; possibly in the corner somewhere (by the map?).

Was thinking of making the charge bar more prominent, thinner but longer, and positioned lower to make it look like it was part of the skill bar. I'm rather fond of this idea but don't know how many options a modder would have while making the UI, don't know how flexible it is.

I don't know what the preferences of the users are, keep the cartoony feel, go for gritty realism, or a mish-mash of the two; how dark can the UI "feel", these sort of things.

Feedback is what i need, what do you guys and gals have in mind?

Bue

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 08:17:22 AM »
Way too much on the screen, distracting during gameplay.   If this was done, I would certainly hope it would be an option to NOT use it while playing Torchlight II with Synergies.

potterman28wxcv

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 09:29:43 AM »
I think I will resize my picture, it looks like people think that I am proposing this UI, but i'm not ; i'm just proposing the health and mana/sec counter

CrazyBadger

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 10:08:34 AM »
I think I will resize my picture, it looks like people think that I am proposing this UI, but i'm not ; i'm just proposing the health and mana/sec counter

Yup, its a good idea, adding more info would b overkill. The UI is there to represent info in a meaningful way and not take too much screenspace.

This is the D3 UI I'm using, and it has toggleable HP/MP info:

Mana and regen values

Option to toggle

No info, nice and clean

And this is a quick monster health bar i made:

Separators

Clean version

potterman28wxcv

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 10:35:38 AM »
I don't know what the preferences of the users are, keep the cartoony feel, go for gritty realism, or a mish-mash of the two; how dark can the UI "feel", these sort of things.

That's an interesting question ; the best answer would be to make a mix of the two : one Dark, one Cartoon, and then you make a switch or an option that you can turn on or off. But it would be something huge to do ; twice more work as a designer, and finding a way to switch it as a modder.

Personnally, as a Diablo 1 & 2 fan (and I must say the Diablo 3 graphics were awesome), I like when it's Dark. But it's Torchlight 2, not Diablo, so it would be maybe more legitimate to keep it "cartoon" like. So if I had to choose between Dark UI and Cartoon UI, i would choose Cartoon (even though I would prefer Dark UI for my own)

CrazyBadger

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 08:07:13 AM »
Oh, don't misunderstand. When i said "mish-mash" i didn't mean you could switch from one type to another. I meant that i would *meld* the two styles together to the best of my abilities (to please both crowds: the ones that prefer gritty and the ones that like cartoony better).

Don't know if i should span this thread with screenies, so if you mind me doing so give me a heads up. So i can upload a .ZIP/.RAR with the images/resources so far.

Progress on the monster health bar, normal mob health and champion health. Still got to do the big bad boss health bar. Suggestions welcome.

HD size

Actual game size:

potterman28wxcv

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 12:14:33 PM »
I like the yellow version, but the yellow thing in the middle looks a bit strange in my opinion. If it was in red, it would be less strange I think

CrazyBadger

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 02:29:14 PM »
Actually both versions will/should be included. Don't know if you ever noticed but the monsters have different health bars: normal mobs, champions and big bosses. I'll modify these two versions a bit and include a third one for the boss monsters. The bars should represent the difficulty of the monster, so the more elaborate the bar, the tougher the monster. They also come with red, orange and purple health meters.

Momiji

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 04:12:46 PM »
Actually both versions will/should be included. Don't know if you ever noticed but the monsters have different health bars: normal mobs, champions and big bosses. I'll modify these two versions a bit and include a third one for the boss monsters. The bars should represent the difficulty of the monster, so the more elaborate the bar, the tougher the monster. They also come with red, orange and purple health meters.

This is starting to sound really awesome...

I'd love to have all these sexy healthbars with the hp/% on em :P