Author Topic: Question on sorta an idea I had..  (Read 1389 times)

NemesisZeru

Question on sorta an idea I had..
« on: December 26, 2013, 04:43:34 PM »
I'm gonna have trouble explaining this, but here goes

Would it be possible to keep the firing animation of a wand, but remove the wand? I had an idea for a class that, in lieu of weapons, would fire bolts of magic directly from it's hands, relying on a passive for magic damage(In particular, sorta an Ice Princess type of class).

It's not something I have the skill or motivation to work on, but just a sorta neat idea, and wondering if it's within system limitations to keep the wand animation and firing effect, just without the wand.

potterman28wxcv

Re: Question on sorta an idea I had..
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 06:00:55 AM »
in lieu of weapons

Man that sounds like the french "au lieu de", but in english it's more "instead of" ;)

I think it would be a weak class because basically attacking only with wands is a pain and does not so many damage. But, maybe if we make a class with some wand specific skills, like a skill to fire 3 instead of 1 bolt, a skill making so that the bolt bounces between enemies, a skill making the bolts doing aoe damage.. We can imagine a lot of things, but to be reliable, there would better be boosts on wands.

Still, I don't get the point of removing the wand ; because in torchlight you never walk without weapon : a weapon, if you don't use it for the DPS, has attributes just as the other gears of stuff you wear. Not wearing a weapon is restraining you.

Oh, also, you can notice that the embermage magma spear already has the kind of feature you describe : firing bolts directly from the hands

NemesisZeru

Re: Question on sorta an idea I had..
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 12:51:31 PM »
in lieu of weapons

Man that sounds like the french "au lieu de", but in english it's more "instead of" ;)

I think it would be a weak class because basically attacking only with wands is a pain and does not so many damage. But, maybe if we make a class with some wand specific skills, like a skill to fire 3 instead of 1 bolt, a skill making so that the bolt bounces between enemies, a skill making the bolts doing aoe damage.. We can imagine a lot of things, but to be reliable, there would better be boosts on wands.

Still, I don't get the point of removing the wand ; because in torchlight you never walk without weapon : a weapon, if you don't use it for the DPS, has attributes just as the other gears of stuff you wear. Not wearing a weapon is restraining you.

Oh, also, you can notice that the embermage magma spear already has the kind of feature you describe : firing bolts directly from the hands

I completely forgot about Magma Spear. Never really bothered with Embermages. x3

True. Iunno, it was an idea for something unique.  I figure each tier would end up giving boosts to damage and give on hit effects and stuff. So it'd end up something like....

1000 dps(Which would be used for weapon dps caluclation, yeah. Although, fixed ice damage could work for the class)
+50% ice damage
Enemies hit are slowed
+boosts to attributes

Iunno, I just thought it'd be neat to do stuff with a class that isn't traditionally done, and trying to make it non-horrible(For instance, another tree I was messing around with for this was a 'duelist' tree, where the passive gives bonus stuff if you only use a 1h sword and no shield) You have a point, though: Weapons give so much that the hypothetical passive'd have to give a lot for it to even be worthwhile, and that might make it hard to balance.

But then again, since I have no clue how to mod TL2, it's only passing ideas. :P