Poll

What summoning theme should this class be

Nature Animals
12 (12.4%)
Undead (necromancer already exists) (would use DIFFERENT undeads)
1 (1%)
Varks and their dragonkin
12 (12.4%)
Humanoid (army general)
16 (16.5%)
Dwarvish and robotic
16 (16.5%)
Elementals
30 (30.9%)
Sturms and their kin
4 (4.1%)
Other - Please make a note
6 (6.2%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Author Topic: New SUMMONER class: Salan  (Read 12757 times)

GulyFMG

Re: New SUMMONER class: Salan
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2014, 07:49:23 PM »
Would it be possible to do a tier 3 skill like shape shifting into a werewolf? just curious... always liked the druid in D2 because of that...With each tier given you another set of skills.

Ghostblade4802

• Class Developer
  • Synergies Co-Developer!
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2014, 09:15:14 PM »
Would it be possible to do a tier 3 skill like shape shifting into a werewolf? just curious... always liked the druid in D2 because of that...With each tier given you another set of skills.

I think that would be nearly impossible. I don't think you can actually change the chaeacter model like that.

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2014, 11:23:41 PM »
I put that question to a few of the main devs in runic.  And the answer is right now, as the game is made you can not.

The warlock is about as close as you can get to shapeshifting for now.

you CAN polymorph yourself but you become that monster, not just the shape of it.
People motivate themselves, and are inspired by others.
--- I love making FUN encounters, the ones that make you scream with terror, and remember them forever! ---
**more awesome then an awesome possum**

CrazyBadger

• Pandas are black, white and asian. Just sayin'.
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2014, 09:52:02 AM »
problem with the ghosts is they are all basically undead guys for the most part.

Is it possible to edit the textures/meshes of some monsters you'd use to make them transparent? And then add them as separate monsters?

So you could take the mesh/texture of a nether imp, make it transparent/translucent, color it a bit more purple-ish, add some glow and violá! There's your ghost/spirit.

dreams

• Synergies Focus Group
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2014, 11:01:53 AM »
problem with the ghosts is they are all basically undead guys for the most part.

They dont really have to be the undead type, just a normal model with a glowing outline would be good enough. Spirits could be anything gods (Athena, Odin, etc), past heroes (King Arthur, Robin Hood, etc), demons (Diablo, Lucifer, etc) even villains (Gilles de Rais, Circe, etc), basically anything. Would give alot of freedom to the minion types (archers, mages, spearman, etc), ability type (they are all mythical, can be anything), models used (mostly human form, various armour).

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2014, 02:42:13 PM »
elementals, dwarves and humans are winning on the poll so far..

Maybe we'll have to work on three classes at the same time..   Why limit yourself.. MOST of the work will be planning anyways.

Here is how I am doing hte ranger atm:
IMPORTANT TO DO IT IN THIS ORDER, to make sure we get things correct:

THEMES - Done
NAME - Done
SKILL PAGE NAMES - Done
INHERENT BONUS'S - Done
UNITTYPE CHANGE - Done
CHARGEMECHANIC - Done
ChargeBar - not done.
Skills - not done.
Graphical changes (icons / etc) - not done.

this way when we start the class to finish no one needs a hotfix or reroll...   The ranger is MUCH much tighter construction then the warlock, paladin and necromancer ever could have been.  I will NOT move past a skill until the skill is 100% finished.   
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 02:46:29 PM by Salan »
--- I love making FUN encounters, the ones that make you scream with terror, and remember them forever! ---

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2014, 02:43:27 PM »

They dont really have to be the undead type, just a normal model with a glowing outline would be good enough. Spirits could be anything gods (Athena, Odin, etc), past heroes (King Arthur, Robin Hood, etc), demons (Diablo, Lucifer, etc) even villains (Gilles de Rais, Circe, etc), basically anything. Would give alot of freedom to the minion types (archers, mages, spearman, etc), ability type (they are all mythical, can be anything), models used (mostly human form, various armour).

good points, this would really allow an option for classes that aren't on the polls :(... hmm  my original Tl2 design was to have a lot of theme'd summoners thou...

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2014, 03:05:42 PM »
The biggest draw back I personally have with this mod is finding texture artists to make things look unique .. armor and weapons.  Its just the luck of the draw we have gotten where we have so far.

That being said I think I will start up a individual forum for the first of the choices.

strukto

• Retired Developer
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2014, 03:44:00 PM »
yes totems are also my thought, I would combine that with elemental sturms
so not just your basic ice ones, all elements
totems can do anything from ranged damage to buffing and debuffing

dreams

• Synergies Focus Group
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2014, 07:54:25 PM »
good points, this would really allow an option for classes that aren't on the polls :(... hmm  my original Tl2 design was to have a lot of theme'd summoners thou...

Oh well, just keep the idea for the future. Personally I like the dragons, robots and elementals but I am afraid they could be too restrictive for a pure summoner theme.

PrimetimeUTK

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2014, 12:13:03 PM »
Maybe a WOW hunter type. Ranged with animals.

lordbaur

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2014, 05:35:57 PM »
I like the idea of the Sturm. They have an interesting pseudo-story in the game already, that just gets hinted at. You could probably mix them with the miska and maybe even the varkolyn? That's three trees right there! Call it iron (Sturm), frost (miska) and darkness (varkolyn) or something like that. Or switch a race out for the Tuataras. Lots of options. Maybe the class could be called "Humanoidist" lol.

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2014, 05:48:28 PM »
I have a lot of things written up for this, right now I am focusing on tier1.. when I get to the point where I tired of that I will work on getting this class set up as well as the ranger.

L32

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2014, 10:18:53 AM »
Hello everybody.
I’d like to present another option to a true summer – Artificer.

I’d also like to suggest a new summoning concept for abilities and charge.

Charge bar similar to that of the Engineer-
You PASSIVELY summon creeps. The charge bar affects your hard cap on those creeps. Whenever a creep dies he explodes (or has a chance to explode). I thought that of 6 as the initial hard cap (see tier 3 skills). Charges are gains by damaging a foe (similar to Engineer).

Passive skills: your passive skills grant a chance to summon a different creep.
Tier 2 allows for interaction effect between the creeps (chance to deal extra damage vs poisoned).
Tier 3 (=15 points) on every skill raise the hard cap by 1 (prior to counting the charge bar).

Example-
Special creep (flying sword): per skill deals more damage* (* Based on player level. As for the exact number I suggest looking at the Embermage ‘Brand’ skills and divide by the initial creep cap). Tier 1: attacks can inflict poison. Tier 2: Attacks reduce cold armor. Tier 3: Hard creep cap is raised by 1.
Idea for skills-

Kamikaza: raise the exploding damage (and chance). And raise their summoning rate.

Active summoning requires a charge to be used.

Active skills are NOT the main source of damage. This opens up the crowd control and effects.  In terms of what I had in mind is that the 3 skill pages are ordered as follow: Forging (=summoning), Enhancement (improving pet and minion), Savaging (charge generating skills).   

Taran

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2014, 08:31:34 PM »
Gonna be honest...you do to much summon. I would not make another summon class but instead work on something else.
In every person there are 2 dogs fighting...one Good and one Evil. The one that wins is the one you feed the most.
PSN: Taran_Omega / Steam ID: tpanciera