Author Topic: Please explain Warlock mechanics to me  (Read 12663 times)

Bue

Re: Please explain Warlock mechanics to me
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 06:28:26 PM »
Healbot and Forcefield are extremely powerful, and I always recommend an engineer to new players if they're having trouble surviving.  However, my melee warlock does using Manafield and potions for health regen (Soulseeker wasn't cutting it for me), Fireshield and Manashield, as well as Fractured Reality and Voidwalker for enhanced mobility.

A melee warlock using Burning Blade to generate Hellfire really needs + cast speed.   I used chaos ember gems and item drops that had + cast speed as she was leveling.  Once she started getting some of the Tier II bonuses, things got much better for her.  But as you've experienced, the build is a slow starter, and it was painful for me in the lower levels as well.  But once she hit her stride, ah, what a fun class to play :)

Miothan's proc warlock build does more damage, but the melee Hellfire warlock does quite well , and is better suited to my playstyle.  My warlock has killed all the DF bosses in Elite w/o dying, although it usually took more than one attempt -- the Executioner was brutal for me!  This was before fractured reality, so I'm pretty pleased how she has  done so far.

You'll find generating Hellfire is not a problem once you get higher in level.  My warlock can get the max 50 within seconds, which is desirable to maintain to boost damage. 

Regards,
Bue

Afwasmiddel

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 06:42:05 PM »
Healbot and Forcefield are extremely powerful, and I always recommend an engineer to new players if they're having trouble surviving.  However, my melee warlock does using Manafield and potions for health regen (Soulseeker wasn't cutting it for me), Fireshield and Manashield, as well as Fractured Reality and Voidwalker for enhanced mobility.

A melee warlock using Burning Blade to generate Hellfire really needs + cast speed.   I used chaos ember gems and item drops that had + cast speed as she was leveling.  Once she started getting some of the Tier II bonuses, things got much better for her.  But as you've experienced, the build is a slow starter, and it was painful for me in the lower levels as well.  But once she hit her stride, ah, what a fun class to play :)

Miothan's proc warlock build does more damage, but the melee Hellfire warlock does quite well , and is better suited to my playstyle.  My warlock has killed all the DF bosses in Elite w/o dying, although it usually took more than one attempt -- the Executioner was brutal for me!  This was before fractured reality, so I'm pretty pleased how she has  done so far.

You'll find generating Hellfire is not a problem once you get higher in level.  My warlock can get the max 50 within seconds, which is desirable to maintain to boost damage. 

Regards,
Bue

Well I hope I can get high level fast enough to enjoy it to the fullest. What spells do you use in the Hell Fire tree?

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2014, 06:48:32 PM »

Something that annoyed me a little bit were the different ways HellFire and NetherEssence were written. Some skill descriptions use spaces like Hell Fire and Nether Essence, some don't use the second capital like Hellfire or Netheressence and sometimes it's just HF or NE. Just choose one of all these and use it for all descriptions regarding HellFire or NetherEssence

if you give me any examples of this I will fix it.
People motivate themselves, and are inspired by others.
--- I love making FUN encounters, the ones that make you scream with terror, and remember them forever! ---
**more awesome then an awesome possum**

Afwasmiddel

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2014, 08:07:16 PM »

Something that annoyed me a little bit were the different ways HellFire and NetherEssence were written. Some skill descriptions use spaces like Hell Fire and Nether Essence, some don't use the second capital like Hellfire or Netheressence and sometimes it's just HF or NE. Just choose one of all these and use it for all descriptions regarding HellFire or NetherEssence

if you give me any examples of this I will fix it.

Well tbh it's all over the trees. In the Hell Fire tree you use "Hell Fire" in the tier bonuses and "HellFire" in the green text that gives extra info or requirements. It was done for every skill in it so I guess it's ok since it's consistent here, but in the Mana Burned tree it's like different with every skill, literally. Mana Missiles uses "Hell Fire" and "Nether Essence", Soulseeker uses "HF" and "NE" (but I guess this one is due to the length of the text), Fractured Reality uses "Hellfire" and "Netheressence" (and the r is missing in netheressence in the tier 3 bonus just noticed). The Nether Void tree seems to be allright since it only uses "NetherEssence".

Well I don't mean to be bitchy btw, but I was just looking over possible builds today when I tried this mod and the warlock class out when I noticed this stuff. Since I was already troubled by the HellFire and NetherEssence mechanics I got extra confused. When I came to this forum and saw how active it was I decided to mention these small things.

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2014, 08:19:32 PM »
Its ok, I want to make the punctuation the same.

I'll look through it for next patch, thanks for pointing it out.

should have noticed myself. Been busy with end game stuff
--- I love making FUN encounters, the ones that make you scream with terror, and remember them forever! ---

Chrono

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2014, 09:57:03 PM »
Speaking of taking damage, how do you guys typically distribute stats for a casting Warlock? I don't believe I have enough vit which is getting me killed in co-op, but I do well enough alone.
However, with talk of the DR boost, I'm more unsure of what to do.

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2014, 10:08:35 PM »
I generally always put 2 vitality for any other 3 stats I do.. I personally go with 2 focus or strength depending on what I want to do and usually 1 dex for the crit /dodge...

I know others who do 5 of one stat, then 5 of another or do a 3/2 split

mioaki

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2014, 06:10:16 AM »
Can someone explain to me the timer used to generate ressources of mana missiles. Do I need to keep casting the spell to get the timer going? Is the timer refresh only after a succesful generation of ressources? Or even if the generation is not triggered we must wait another 3 seconds to have a chance to generate ressources?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 09:01:18 AM by mioaki »

caval

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2015, 04:38:11 AM »
i would like to share some of my thoughts.
- i find the Hell Fire passive kinda buggy. When it procs, sometimes i gain 1 hellfire for 2-3 secs, sometimes the hellfire resource just appears then disappears, otherwise it won't gain any hellfire. Does anyone have the same problem ?
- i cant make conflagration spread out nor gain any hellfire resource from it.  :(
- It would be nice to include more details in the description of Hell Fire, Mana Burned, Frozen Hatred and Nether Mastery (like how much damage the NetherVoid inflicts...).
Lastly, many thanks to Salan for the great work!  ;D
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 04:41:04 AM by caval »