Author Topic: EMBERMAGE BALANCE PATCH  (Read 2769 times)

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
EMBERMAGE BALANCE PATCH
« on: February 23, 2014, 05:19:18 PM »
I remade your lightning tree!!

leave some feedback, it needs balancing!

Hailstorm No longer debuffs electric damage

ShockingBurst Replaced by Thunderstorm

Thunderstorm
    New Electric storm added to the embermage.
    Centers around the player and spreads outwards.
    Deals damage, lowers enemies defense vs Electric Damage, protects the player while casting.
<<<<
    Thunderstorm
    Lowering the amount of electric shocks back to 10 for all stages.
    Skill was suppose to have a 6 second cooldown, in the files its set to 6, not 6000 lol. Will try it with a 3 second cooldown instead.
    Lowered the bonus damage affix by half to 25% at max.
>>>>

Thunder Locus
    Tier1: Can summon a second Locus
    Tier2: Can summon a third Locus
    Tier3: Can summon a fourth Locus

Shocking Orb
    Remade to a sentry spell
    A Shocking Orb sentry that circles the player, shooting at enemies as they come near.
    Think Repulsion hex on electric offense!

WANDCHAOS

Removed any teleport proc from the skill.
    Removed blindness proc.
    The chaos will be dps based (this will actually increase over all damage of a wandchaos mage, after the affix nerfs this will help).

Shocking Bolts
    Changed to be an artillery style missile instead of a pointblank cast.
    Upon the missiles death the shock bolts are released in a 360 circle.
    Starts with 4 discharges, and gains 1 per tier.
    Retains old tier bonus's and DPS ratings.

Arc Beam
    Will now gain 20% charge.
    Split procs will gain 40% charge.

PRISMATIC RIFT
    Removed teleport function of the skill.
    Added non-stacking 2% debuff vs Fire / Ice / Lightning to received damage per skill point invested (2 to 30%) for 7 seconds on any monster hit by the skill.
People motivate themselves, and are inspired by others.
--- I love making FUN encounters, the ones that make you scream with terror, and remember them forever! ---
**more awesome then an awesome possum**

Chibba

Re: EMBERMAGE BALANCE PATCH
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 01:39:29 PM »
This is more a suggestion rather than feedback, but I was thinking that maybe you could change the scaling on Shocking Orb be based on "weapon dps" instead of "weapon damage" since it's an odd requirement compared to all the other spells.

I think it would also open up a lot more options for itemization but still work well with the hard hitting weapons and at the same time reintroduce bonus attack speed as desirable stat on equipment.
Seeing that more variety is always more interesting for players.

Since I have only reached level 40 so far I would like to hear the opinions of the more experienced players, because maybe this is all wrong and would block certain builds or make them a lot less viable. I had a lot of fun leveling up so far and the rate of the development is very impressive. Thanks for the great mod :)!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 01:49:55 PM by Chibba »

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 01:41:54 PM »
patch will be live soon

Embermage

Hailstorm
Will correctly not apply electrical incoming damage debuffs.

ShockBolts
The initial missile will now do dps when it hits, so HITTING a monster will not result in a miss if the bolts scatter.
Shock bolts themselves have higher collision radius

Thunderstorm
Shock bolt discharge has a higher missile radius, the unit collision on the missile is set to -1 which SHOULD be the radius of the missile...(no documentation, go figure)

Shocking Orb
Now has the correct description for the skill as well as tiers.
Tiers now have a 10,20,30% chance to stun for 3 seconds.
orb turns faster and shoots faster for each skill point invested.
--- I love making FUN encounters, the ones that make you scream with terror, and remember them forever! ---

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 01:42:16 PM »
mm will look into the math between weapon damage and weapon dps again to make sure

Scrotie79

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 02:43:16 PM »
Finally Coilette Layzereyes can be made in synergies propa like!   8)
So yeah I rolled up a Embermage to test out the new lightning skills and here are my thoughts on it thus far.

Lightning Storm
I like the concept of this skill, though because I am a experienced Embermage/Alchemist/Sorceress player I broke this skill by lvl 8. What I mean by that is the Lightning storm was pretty well one shoting all the trash mobs and cutting hero's/elites down within in seconds. Grell was a joke... tanked and killed him in 1-2 mins. I can give you a detailed lay out of my stats and gear when I fought Grell if you like? I think the main issue I have with it is that it builds charge so damn fast (without Charge Mastery) that once the charge bar is full one can just spam their main dps skill to hearts content. The damage output may need to be toned back just a wee bit more....however the insane damage I am doing with it is probably one part my high Foc and high +% to Electric/All Damage from gear. 

Thunder Locus
Only played around with this skill in the early lvls, I will have to respec and try it out a little bit later. It was another of my favorite skills from 'nilla so having extra locuses on each tier will be super happy fun time, when I spec into it ha.  ;D

ArcBeam
I'll admit I like this skill just a wee bit too much, it was my main dps dealer for my vanilla embermage. I like the changes to this skill. It now functions the way I thought it should in 'nilla. <3's it really.

Shock Bolts
I never really played around with this skill in 'nilla much but I was not a huge fan of the idea that the animation and general mechanics of it reminded me a little too much of 'the game that should not be named' sorceress Charged Bolt. With the new animation and spiffy artillery style deliverance. I am now quite the fan of this skill. I think I may even have this skill be my main dps dealer for this new Embermage.

Shocking Orb
I don't know how to feel about this one, the changes made to it are quite drastic. One on hand I love it because it's like a Replusion Hex (My 2nd lvl 100 char in 'nilla was a Outlander ha) and other hand I kind of miss the slowly moving orbs of electric death. I might have to tinker with this skill some more and then report back.

Prismatic Rift
I tried it out with a few points in it, did not notice it procing much (probably because I FP allot with this build) so I can not say much about it. I'll have to test it out some and report back.

Overall I like the reworking of the embermages lightning skill tab so far.

patch will be live soon
Yay!

ShockBolts
The initial missile will now do dps when it hits, so HITTING a monster will not result in a miss if the bolts scatter.
Shock bolts themselves have higher collision radius

Nooooo! I liked it as it was because it required a bit of skill to aim the missile so the splintering shock bolts would hit the target....who am I kidding? It was all about the SB spam off course! XD 

Shocking Orb
Now has the correct description for the skill as well as tiers.
Tiers now have a 10,20,30% chance to stun for 3 seconds.
orb turns faster and shoots faster for each skill point invested.

Having the right description of the skill and its tiers lvls is always a good thing. I was wondering about that description to be honest. Also mmmm more stun, just what I wanted for this late winter. ;p Seriously can never have enough stun or imomb for a lightning mage! 

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 04:37:15 PM »
So yeah I rolled up a Embermage to test out the new lightning skills and here are my thoughts on it thus far.

Lightning Storm
I like the concept of this skill, though because I am a experienced Embermage/Alchemist/Sorceress player I broke this skill by lvl 8. What I mean by that is the Lightning storm was pretty well one shoting all the trash mobs and cutting hero's/elites down within in seconds. Grell was a joke... tanked and killed him in 1-2 mins. I can give you a detailed lay out of my stats and gear when I fought Grell if you like? I think the main issue I have with it is that it builds charge so damn fast (without Charge Mastery) that once the charge bar is full one can just spam their main dps skill to hearts content. The damage output may need to be toned back just a wee bit more....however the insane damage I am doing with it is probably one part my high Foc and high +% to Electric/All Damage from gear. 

I needed feedback about its charge, i was worried about that!  Did you do this with teh broken hailstorm still giving -% electric debuff as well, that has been fixed.

Thunder Locus
Only played around with this skill in the early lvls, I will have to respec and try it out a little bit later. It was another of my favorite skills from 'nilla so having extra locuses on each tier will be super happy fun time, when I spec into it ha.  ;D

I used it on my embergame as well.   I found that I always felt like I wanted more out of it even if I liked it.   Without changing its damage having more gives a lot more reason to go into its tiers, that's for sure.

ArcBeam
I'll admit I like this skill just a wee bit too much, it was my main dps dealer for my vanilla embermage. I like the changes to this skill. It now functions the way I thought it should in 'nilla. <3's it really.

ya, I am very reluctant to change anything on how this skill works beyond the minimal charge build.  There is really nothing wrong with it beyond that.

Shock Bolts
I never really played around with this skill in 'nilla much but I was not a huge fan of the idea that the animation and general mechanics of it reminded me a little too much of 'the game that should not be named' sorceress Charged Bolt. With the new animation and spiffy artillery style deliverance. I am now quite the fan of this skill. I think I may even have this skill be my main dps dealer for this new Embermage.

I think with the artillery missile and the fact that missile now does damage, the electrodes are only PART of the package, and it is indeed a potential main damage spell, at least in potential.  I personally liked the D2 electric bolts and I think this is their attempt at it originally.   I found the main skill was just lacking so much...

Shocking Orb
I don't know how to feel about this one, the changes made to it are quite drastic. One on hand I love it because it's like a Replusion Hex (My 2nd lvl 100 char in 'nilla was a Outlander ha) and other hand I kind of miss the slowly moving orbs of electric death. I might have to tinker with this skill some more and then report back.

It is a bit extreme of a change.  Previously you had to stand and cast bubbles of death that would dissipate.  Now you cast once and mostly forget and get a whole lot out of next to nothing, even if it takes a long time to ramp up its overall damage amounts.  The problem with the page in the first place was that there were 5 active cast damage spells that didn't synergize with each other.  Changing the storm, bolts and orb allows you to use them in conjunction rather then completely separately.   So while it was a drastic change it was essential in the design decision to do a change at all.

Prismatic Rift
I tried it out with a few points in it, did not notice it procing much (probably because I FP allot with this build) so I can not say much about it. I'll have to test it out some and report back.

I'm not fully sure what I should do about this one just yet.  Should I Put the port back in, as its defensive and not offensive based.  If I leave the % debuff in should I also look at balancing the hailstorm and firestorm to more of a lightning storm equivalent... something I will take some thought on today.

thanks for the feedback, hopefully it keeps enjoyable.

I think there will be some tweaks still to lightning storms charge for sure.

Chibba

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 08:06:32 PM »
Is the Arc Beam still alternating between main- and offhandweapon?

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 10:11:20 PM »
The only change I did was add a charge tag to it.

Scrotie79

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 02:27:03 AM »

Lightning Storm

I needed feedback about its charge, i was worried about that!  Did you do this with teh broken hailstorm still giving -% electric debuff as well, that has been fixed.

Thunder Locus

I used it on my embergame as well.   I found that I always felt like I wanted more out of it even if I liked it.   Without changing its damage having more gives a lot more reason to go into its tiers, that's for sure.

ArcBeam

ya, I am very reluctant to change anything on how this skill works beyond the minimal charge build.  There is really nothing wrong with it beyond that.

Shock Bolts

I think with the artillery missile and the fact that missile now does damage, the electrodes are only PART of the package, and it is indeed a potential main damage spell, at least in potential.  I personally liked the D2 electric bolts and I think this is their attempt at it originally.   I found the main skill was just lacking so much...

Shocking Orb

It is a bit extreme of a change.  Previously you had to stand and cast bubbles of death that would dissipate.  Now you cast once and mostly forget and get a whole lot out of next to nothing, even if it takes a long time to ramp up its overall damage amounts.  The problem with the page in the first place was that there were 5 active cast damage spells that didn't synergize with each other.  Changing the storm, bolts and orb allows you to use them in conjunction rather then completely separately.   So while it was a drastic change it was essential in the design decision to do a change at all.

Prismatic Rift

I'm not fully sure what I should do about this one just yet.  Should I Put the port back in, as its defensive and not offensive based.  If I leave the % debuff in should I also look at balancing the hailstorm and firestorm to more of a lightning storm equivalent... something I will take some thought on today.

thanks for the feedback, hopefully it keeps enjoyable.

I think there will be some tweaks still to lightning storms charge for sure.

I am too lazy to dissect all those quotes, so I will respond to them all sequentially.

To answer your question about if I was using the previously broken Hailstorm with Lightning Storm the answer is no. I've added an attachment that has a picture of most of the gear she was wearing at lvl.8. I pumped Foc so she was able to wear all of the gear that was foc based. I think the boots and jacket she had equiped at the time (she's now, lvl. 22) are on a different character or perhaps I sold them off without thinking....in any case I remember both pieces had substantial bonuses to Str, Dex & Vit which enabled her to wear the rest of the gear in the attached pic. I think the charge gain for the it might need to be reduced a tad. Enough so that it will take more than two uses of the skill to get full charge. 

Yep, the additional loci on each tier of Thunder Locus is something that gives me incentive to invest more than just a couple points into the skill. Like I previously stated I am going to have to respec into it later on.

I would have to agree with you on there not needing to be much of a change to Arc Beam, it's pretty awesome as it is. The minor charge add is a nice touch though.

After playing with Shock Bolts some after the latest patch, I am liking it even more than before! *shakes fist with a grin*

Much with Shock Bolts, Shocking Orb at first seemed like such a drastic change...but now that I have played around with it some I am liking the change. It is definitely nice to have a fire and forget skill in the tab.

To be honest I am not sure as to what Prismatic Rift should be doing either. On one hand the random ports in the nilla ver. could be rather annoying at times, while on the other hand there were the few times that the random teleport came in handy. I will test out as the skill is more thoroughly tonight and get back to you tomorrow afternoon.

You are very welcome for the feedback Salan. I have been enjoying the mod in it's entirety for a little over a week now. :)

« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 03:17:17 AM by Scrotie79 »

Eno37

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 10:46:38 PM »
I havnt dug inrto this yet a whole lot but I'll echo the thunderstorm (CAll it one-point-twenty-one gigawatz) one being too powerful at least at low level. A debuff for prismatic rift sounds kinda dull and its going to kill the staff skill. How about a control skill...maybe a chance to proc a non-damaging repel field?

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 11:56:52 PM »
when you say its too powerful what are you comparing it to?

It is essentially a main attack spell with some utility tied in and a cooldown... hmmm

its also iffy on how many lightning arcs will hit any one monster, id say at least 3 ish in some sense.. but even then the dps for low level is much lower then a close swing on multiple monsters with magma mace isn't it.. hmm i'll have to check it again, but I'm not sure I agree until i do more tests.

plre

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2014, 08:15:10 AM »
I'd say it's more powerful than hailstorm and blazing pillar. However, it doesn't really need a nerf.

But I think, targeting is somewhat weird with this spell. When I stand right next to the enemy and cast thunderstorm, sometimes it shotguns with almost all of it's projectiles for massive damage and sometimes it barely does anything.

azmodael

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2014, 02:44:03 AM »
I tried an Embermage and I overall like what you did here.

Thunderstorm is amazngly fun and useful spell.

Locusts are worth a damn now

Shocking Bolts... definately better then vanilla, but overall I feel them too spammy and overwhelming with their animation

Shocking Orb has to be my favorite spell in the whole Embermage tree

Wand Chaos - are you sure this was a buff? I used to destroy everything with this passive now it barely does anything at all

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 12:35:33 AM »
Wand chaos is open to interpretation I think.  It removed the non damaging portions for pure damage.  buff.. depends if you wanted the non damaging parts or not ?

Shocking bolts was meant to be spammy, its the design of it.

Glad you enjoy the rest of it, took a bit of thought to come up with the combinations and setup that I thought would work well.

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2014, 12:36:59 AM »
I'd say it's more powerful than hailstorm and blazing pillar. However, it doesn't really need a nerf.

But I think, targeting is somewhat weird with this spell. When I stand right next to the enemy and cast thunderstorm, sometimes it shotguns with almost all of it's projectiles for massive damage and sometimes it barely does anything.

it is completely random on how the arcs shoot out.  No targetting at all. It works well with that in that its not a guaranteed billion damage, but sometimes it will surprise you and do something great.  Allows the skill to have those nice spikes, if it was constant it would have to be lower overall.