Author Topic: On-hit builds / cold steel mastery.  (Read 3553 times)

alucard

On-hit builds / cold steel mastery.
« on: March 05, 2014, 08:27:12 PM »
  So, after playing till lvl 85 with my berserker i wanted to try the "cold steel mastery" but it doesnt procs with skills so i thought it was supposed to be a on-hit thing. then after checking ingame claws the only one who supports it is a level 45 ish claw that has the glacial spike on it.

besides that all you can do is get a claw with some ice attack and do lame damage with it. i really like ice related stuff and got pretty sad when i saw i couldnt use that skill. so um suggesting..

could you rework that skill? or give more options for on-hit builds? from what i saw the % ice damage do work with the glacial spike on-hit.. so more combos like that would be pretty cool and would open more windows for variety.

Ghostblade4802

• Class Developer
  • Synergies Co-Developer!
Re: On-hit builds / cold steel mastery.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 08:57:17 PM »
I know Salan wants to do stuff with all the base classes, so this sort of thing will probably be looked at. We have already touched on the Berserker a bit already, though, so I don't know if he considers there to still be work to do on this one.

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 11:24:15 PM »
Its definitely one of the parts of berserker that I want to look into, it does work on some areas, but not where you most likely expect.
People motivate themselves, and are inspired by others.
--- I love making FUN encounters, the ones that make you scream with terror, and remember them forever! ---
**more awesome then an awesome possum**

keyzr

• Art Developer
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 04:32:02 AM »
Its definitely one of the parts of berserker that I want to look into, it does work on some areas, but not where you most likely expect.

Please watch out when ull change it, alucard is not 100 with his berserker. i agree Cold steel need a buff but i think buffing it to affect spells will result in a huge nerf for pure melee build.
Here is a quote from Torchlight 2 wiki :

The only thing harder than steel is cold steel.

+X% to Physical Damage
+Y% to Ice damage
Though the tooltip says 'Only affects melee attacks', the ability affects all forms of damage as long as a melee weapon is equipped. It ceases to function if the Berserker switches to a ranged weapon.
Always Active
Skill ProgressionEdit
Rank    1    2    3    4    5    6    7    8    9    10    11    12    13    14    15
% to Physical Damage    2    4    6    8    10    12    14    16    18    20    22    24    26    28    30
% to Ice Damage    6    12    18    24    30    36    42    48    54    60    66    72    78    84    90
Required Level    1    2    3    6    10    14    19    25    32    40    49    58    68    79    92

As u can see max burst from CS are 30 % physical dmg and 90 % ice dmg
Obviously if u make it work with active skills this will result in a huge nerf of ice burst dmg ( due to balance with all other classes ) i mean even the embermage doesnt have a + 90 % passive buff for his skills. So making the 90 % ice to a 30 % ice dmg apply on everything could look close to the balanced skill.

But as many high lvl melee berserker know the only way to upgrade ur dps is with cold steel ice burst that's why so many people in vanilla play ice shard dominator and enchant with ice dmg. Actually in synergie that's what i do too with my weapons adding like 200+ ice dmg on each weapon with ice enchanter in table mountain.

So lowering the ice part and allowing it to scale with skill will simply destroy some of the dps mechanic of melee builds.
THe soltuion could be a conditioned bonus like 30% physical and 90 % ice dmg (only affect melee) or 30%- 50 % ice dmg ( when using a skill )

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 10:51:21 AM »
I know, I use it on my berserker. Its actually really good for ice zerkers.
People motivate themselves, and are inspired by others.
--- I love making FUN encounters, the ones that make you scream with terror, and remember them forever! ---
**more awesome then an awesome possum**

alucard

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 09:30:03 PM »

So lowering the ice part and allowing it to scale with skill will simply destroy some of the dps mechanic of melee builds.
THe soltuion could be a conditioned bonus like 30% physical and 90 % ice dmg (only affect melee) or 30%- 50 % ice dmg ( when using a skill )

Please, understand that im talking about ON-HIT builds, "Conveys x chance to cast x ice based spell" cold steel mastery work w/ them. im asking for more options of claws w/ skills like that, not scaling with skills overall. you misunderstood it..

idk how to help bc i dont know much about balance but it has nothing to do w/ making it function with skills.

all about adding more weapons that make use of something that already exists...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 09:38:03 PM by alucard »

Jaelrin

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 12:29:29 AM »

Please, understand that im talking about ON-HIT builds, "Conveys x chance to cast x ice based spell" cold steel mastery work w/ them. im asking for more options of claws w/ skills like that, not scaling with skills overall. you misunderstood it..

I don't really understand what you're asking, but Cold Steel does affect Glacial Spike proc damage (and skill damage like permafrost), it's easy to test with console character.
.And there's a glacial spike socketable (Eye of Aleera) and mace Hammer of Retribution (25% chance to cast Glacial Spike). Don't know about synergies, but in original game this mace + wolfpack build triggered lots of GS casts.

alucard

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 11:16:36 PM »

I don't really understand what you're asking, but Cold Steel does affect Glacial Spike proc damage (and skill damage like permafrost), it's easy to test with console character.
.And there's a glacial spike socketable (eye of aleera) and mace Hammer of Retribution (25% chance to cast Glacial Spike). Don't know about synergies, but in original game this mace + wolfpack build triggered lots of GS casts.

im just asking for variety, claws, swords and such to complement it in the higher levels.. even if i stack glacial spike on end game tier items im afraid it wont do any good compared to other kinds of builds