Author Topic: Hardcore Elite Cannon build help  (Read 2551 times)

edfent

Hardcore Elite Cannon build help
« on: March 16, 2014, 04:14:27 AM »
A lot has changed since I have played TL2/Synergies, so I was looking for some help putting together a build.

I don't have gear to pass down to him, so this is will be legit with no outside help.  As the title suggest I have a problem and only play on HCE.  I guess I like to suffer.  Will all this being said I this is what I have figured out:

Max Heal bot
Max Heavy lifting
Max Blast Cannon
Max Force Field
Max Fire and Spark(assuming I get a fire/electric cannon)
1 Charge Domination
1 Storm Burst
1 Coup de Grace

Besides this I am not real sure where to put my points, some idea I have are:
Bulwark
Immobilization Copter
Gun Bot
Flame Bot
Sledge Bot
Artillery
Fusillade
Vortex Time Bomb

I've never played with Artillery or Flame Bot so not sure how effective they are.  Immobilization Copter seems like the best option, but how many points?  Is Fusillade still wonky?  Bulwark seems lackluster, so not entirely sure if it is worth it.

As for stat points what is the best route to take?  I was thinking 2str/3Vit, or would going 2str/1Dex/2Vit be viable up until a certain point?  Any advice would be appreciated.

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
Re: Hardcore Elite Cannon build help
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 03:07:24 AM »
I think potterman was doing a cannon build, I don't have much to offer as I haven't .. hmmm
People motivate themselves, and are inspired by others.
--- I love making FUN encounters, the ones that make you scream with terror, and remember them forever! ---
**more awesome then an awesome possum**

edfent

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 03:16:14 AM »
No problem, thanks for taking the time to reply.  I appreciate it.  Great work with everything you and your team have done.

potterman28wxcv

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 08:21:00 AM »
Besides this I am not real sure where to put my points, some idea I have are:
Bulwark
Immobilization Copter
Gun Bot
Flame Bot
Sledge Bot
Artillery
Fusillade
Vortex Time Bomb

Hmm I think you must be using another mod with Synergies. Artillery, Vortex Time Bomb and Flame Bot doesn't exist in Synergies, but it's added by the mod Improved Engineers summon or sth like that if I remember right.

Anyway, the build you were citing higher is exactly the build i'm doing. But I'm maximizing Coup de Grace because it deals a HUGE amount of damage when monsters are stunned (and bosses can be stunned for a very short time if i remember right ; that ha sbeen added by synergies ; i'm not sure though). But anyway it's a great trash remover if you raise coup de grace.
Then I have to try to raise up Fusillade.. I've read some topics about it, some people seems to like Fusillade, some seems to hate it. I've to test it.

Still, you can raise Tremor : it's a very good debuff ! When you get surrounded, you cast it, and it allows you some more time to escape and regroup the monsters in a column, and then shoot them. Also, the chance to stun in tier 3 is great.. But the debuff to physical damage is nice too, especially if you're playing with berzerkers or anyone else doing physical damage.

I don't very like immobilization drone.. It's not powerful enough to slowdown enemies because it can't affect every enemies in the same time. So I'm not a great fan of it.

But Sledgebot is good to maximize : when it's 15/15, the cooldown is so decreased than you can just spam it anywhere it's available. And I've never seen my Sledgebot being destroyed yet by an attack, so it's a great meat shield. Very useful if you're soloing.

Another thing nice when you're  a canoneer and you want to move fast is to invest one point in Onslaught, and very quickly switch your weapon using the hotkey and jump. What I do is that my first weapon is a cannon, my second is a sword + shield. With my cannon, I have Blast Cannon (and I will add fusillade later to test) as my primary and secondary skills. With my sword, I have Onslaught and Ember Hammer (useful to destroy shields). That way, when you have to run in the whole map and you're so lazy because you're so slow.. You just switch to Onlaught and you do it the Mario way.

Raising Bulwark can also be a good thing ; 20% (or 10% ? can't remember the exact value) Physical DR is always good to take. But note that as you're not melee, you're not likely to suffer physical hits. It's your choice then..

I think that's all i know about the cannon engineer :)

EDIT : maximize first your offensive skills. The harder you hit, the faster you will kill monsters and that way they will be less likely to be able to reach you before you kill them. But if you were doing a Melee Engineer, I would have told you the opposite.
On Hardcore you really have to always hit monsters in a distance. That's why Blast Cannon is very interesting because of its range, and his knockback, and his stun effect, and his proc with coup de grace, and the fact that it pierces monsters. If you want to use Fusillade, note that it begins to be powerful only at higher levels, and it's not very safe for hardcore because it's more or less closed range.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 08:24:27 AM by potterman28wxcv »

edfent

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 10:59:47 AM »
Thank you for replying potterman!  I have the awesome class mod currently loaded as I wanted to see the new classes that came out, but still decide to go back to Engineer.  I didn't realized it changed the original classes.  I only left the mod for the dragon pet, because... dragon!

How would you work stat points?  Is dex worth it? 

Thanks again for you advice, looks like I'll just add sledge bot for now to my original train of though and go from there.

potterman28wxcv

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 03:03:50 AM »
If you want to use Coup de Grace, you have to maximize Strength ; but having some crit is nice too, so i'm usually doing 4/1/0/0 (STR/DXT/FOC/VIT)

RetsReds

• Fantasy writer - Yordan Zhelyazkov
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 02:45:59 AM »
I second almost everything potterman said. My Synergies cannonier build is:

-Blastcannon 15/15
-Healbot 15/15
-Fusillade 15/15 - most people hate it cause it's useless till Tier 2 (lvl 66) and semi-useful after it and I agree - it IS useless until Tier 2 but after that it's amazing. You'll still be using Blastcannon too, the two skills have different uses but they compliment each other very well. Fusillade is more situational, but when the right situation for it does arise it deals more damage then BC and stuns much more.
-Sledgebot 15/15 - being an AI pet it rarely does what you want it to do but in the long run there'll still be plenty of situations where it'll be useful enough for you to be worth the 15 points. Cast it in a bottleneck to block several dozens monsters and Fusillade away - there's no greater joy in TL2. ;D
-Fire & Spark 15/15
-Heavy lifting 15/15
-Coup de Grace 15/15
-Tremor 15/15 - amazing defensive skill, especially after Tier 2
-Forcefield 15/15
-Shock burst 1/15
-Immo copter 5/15 - I agree with potterhead that it's use isn't that great and important so drop it if you want. I still like it tho, I think it's useful enough to be worth the 5 points and it looks cool.
-Charge domination - 9/15 or 14/15 (without the copter) - put all your remaining points here. Most engi builds put only one point here and for a good reason - the first point is more useful than the rest but as a cannonier with enough mana regen you'll virtually never use auto attack in late game so Charge domination will be the only thing fuelling your FF.

Stat points - I go for 3/1/1/0. Some cannons require Vit and many items do too, but it's not that important to you. Crit is awesome as with any character and Foc is great too - you need the mana, the mana regen and the magic damage. Str is your main stat ofc, but as for CdG - with 15/15 F&S you'll get maximum dmg out of CdG if you keep your Str = Foc +350.
In other words 1000 Str + 0 Foc <<< 675 Str + 325 Foc as far as CdG is concerned. Alternatively I'd go 3/2/0/0.

For spells I go for Treasure hunter, Barter, Mana regen and Dervish. As for skills - I agree - max out your offensive skills first. I don't start leveling FF until Act 3. Also - go for the tunnel beast and stun trinkets for your pet - max stun FTW! ;D

That's it from me, GL & HF with your cannonier. :)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 02:49:42 AM by RetsReds »

potterman28wxcv

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 03:47:17 AM »
It's interesting you've put one point in shockburst ; gives extra knockback which is great. You can just combo it with tremor. Thanks for the tip !

RetsReds

• Fantasy writer - Yordan Zhelyazkov
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 05:28:39 AM »
It's interesting you've put one point in shockburst ; gives extra knockback which is great. You can just combo it with tremor. Thanks for the tip !

For a cannonier I prefer it over Onslaught mainly because of the mana feedback it gives you. For that reason alone it's worth it. The knockback is useful too, yeah, as is the short phys dmg reduction it gives.

potterman28wxcv

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 12:30:38 PM »
Ooh sorry I messed up with the name ! I thought you were talking about the skill who make a repulsing nova ; yeah i always have one point in shockburst to quickly move out and shoot again. It's like shoot shoot shoot shockburst shoot shoot etc..