EDIT : check my list below of mods that I know it works, and those I know or am almost sure it doesn't.I've finally found it ! It should work with any mod, as long as it's only changing things on your own (just like the good old times !).
What it does : it creates a false synergies.mod file, who contains of course Synergies, but also anything you want into it. The idea is to change the ID and the version of your mod, to have the same as synergies, so the game thinks your mod is Synergies, and you're able to play with the other guys who have only synergies mod.
Now, the step by step.
What do you need :
I will call $dmf$ the "downloaded mod folder"
- You need GUTS. You can install it via steam, on library->tools. You don't especially need to have bought TL2 via steam, to download GUTS.
- The mods you want, have to be downloaded (done automatically by steam, as long as you don't have more than 50 mods subscribed)
- Write down somewhere the current version of Synergies. You can know it by launching Torchlight II, and selecting SynergiesMOD
: so where your mods are downloaded. Mine are downloaded in C:\Users\your_username\Documents\My Games\Runic Games\Torchlight 2\mods .I also call $cmf$ the "created mod folder"
. So it's where GUTS will store your
mods. For me, it's in D:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Torchlight II\mods (i've set the steam library to be on an external drive. But basically, it's where every steam games are downloaded).
Now, the step by step :
- Make a backup of $dmf$/synergies/synergies.mod . This method seems to ununderstandably corrupt it. So it's just to make sure that you don't have to download again synergies if you want to use retail synergies again. Move your backup in another folder than $dmf$
- Open GUTS, and name your project the name you want, it doesn't matter. I will assume you have named it "mod_synergies"
- Compile your project one time, then leave GUTS
- open $cmf$/mod_synergies/mod.dat with notepad ; modify <INTEGER64>MOD_ID:whateverishere with <INTEGER64>MOD_ID:136232408
- modify <INTEGER>VERSION:whateverishere with <INTEGER>VERSION:current version of synergies minus 2 . So if the current version of synergies is 836, put VERSION:834
- on GUTS, select Pak/mod unpacker ; unpack $dmf$/synergies/synergies.mod into $cmf$/mod_synergies
- do the same for every mods you want to add : reduced_particles, a personnalized HUD, etc..
- on the building menu, change the mod name to "SynergiesMOD", and build it. Do not even tick " Publish on steam" ; it will likely make your guts crash because a mod with the same ID is already on steam
Then, if everything went ok (that is a strong hypothesis), you are done with it ! Just select again SynergiesMOD (be sure the author isn't Salan ; if it's Salan, then you have selected the "non modified" synergies mod), and you are now able to play with other players with any personnalization you want !
If it's not ok because you had the "out of memory" error or other strange guts things, you have to change again the mod.dat file, and try building again.
Just, remember one thing : every odd compatibility bugs we had in the preguts versions will come back. So you have to be extremely careful
when choosing mods you want to integrate. The basic rule is that if the mods change game data, then you will likely crash when trying to join other games, and others will crash when trying to join your game. Let's avoid that
Use only mods that change the texture, or mods that add that one HUD you prefer. Mods that add gameplay stuff won't work (logical).
Let's make our Torchlight II the prettier possible and
be able to play multiplayer !
(if anyone experiences crashes when logging in other games, let me know, by posting what mods you have integrated into
Of course, whenever Salan posts a new version of Synergies, you will have to build again your mod, to make sure the game thinks you're in the same version[/size]