Author Topic: [Scripted Raid Suggestion] General Grell (Veteren)  (Read 1301 times)

Craftea

• Synergies Focus Group
[Scripted Raid Suggestion] General Grell (Veteren)
« on: May 13, 2014, 07:26:41 AM »
General Grell (Veteren) is meant to be a fight handled by three or more players, and is designed based on vanilla's General Grell fight.

General Grell is a boss that uses destructive and explosive attacks, and this fight will be split into two phases.

---

Phase One begins in an enclosed room with four pillars.

General Grell (Phase One)
  • Repeats attacks in the exact order as listed below:
  • Bomb Blast: Fires a bomb at a random player's location. Deals damage and knockback in a line. Leaves a Bomb behind.
  • Ground Smash: Slams the ground, causing debris from the ceiling to fall on every player. Debris fall inflicts damage and knockback, and spawns Debris. Debris falls 5 times over 5 seconds. (similar to the Manticore's attack that rains stuff on you)
  • General's Dash: Dashes to a random player, hitting that player for significant damage and stunning him. This attack is interrupted if General Grell runs into a pillar, debris or bomb.
  • Stomp!: Slams the ground, causing multiple 'quakes' to seek out enemies (similar to Engineer's Emberquake). Is lethal at melee range.
  • Bomb Blast
  • Ground Smash
Bomb
  • Explodes for lethal damage on death, and destroys nearby debris
  • Suicides if there is a nearby player or when hit by the General's Dash attack
Debris
  • Destructible (similar to Pots)
  • Incredibly high health
The arena starts out pretty spacious, but becomes increasingly cramped as General Grell litters the area with Bombs and debris. Getting hit by General's Dash is lethal, as it will stun the player, leaving them in melee range for Stomp. Otherwise, this is a preparatory stage for Phase Two, when the fight ramps up significantly.

---

Phase Two begins when General Grell loses 50% of his health.

General Grell (Phase Two)
  • Repeats attacks in the exact order as listed below:
  • Ceiling Shot: Shoots at the ceiling causing debris to fall, covering a quarter of the arena in debris. Players in that quarter are instantly killed.
  • General's Retreat: Moves to a part of the arena that will not be blocked out/destroyed by Ceiling Shot.
  • Bomb Blast
  • Ground Smash
  • General's Dash
  • Stomp!
  • Bomb Blast
  • Ground Smash
  • Reinforce!: Calls forth one Deathflingers and two Stremmborn Champions
  • Bomb Blast
  • Stomp!
  • Stomp!
Deathflinger
  • Crippling Javalin; immobilize on hit
  • No resistance to status effects (knockback, blind, stun, etc.)
Stremmborn Champion
  • Shield blocks damage
  • Shield Bash attack; significantly knockbacks and slows movement speed
Stremmborn Champions can be easily dealt with by destroying their shields. Deathflingers can be controlled by inflicting any effect on them to disable them or killing them.

General Grell has to be killed before he locks down the arena in debris. The fight can be extended by directing bombs to clear the debris from quarters that he used Blast Pillar on.

Additionally, he will more frequently throw out Bombs and litter the arena with debris, to limit the space players have to kill him.

potterman28wxcv

Re: [Scripted Raid Suggestion] General Grell (Veteren)
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 08:38:09 AM »
I really love your ideas !  :D

Some things would be very hard to implement imo. But it would be a nice start.

Do you think, assuming the damages are lowered (with no the instant death), that these encounters could replace the vanilla one ?

Craftea

• Synergies Focus Group
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 07:14:50 AM »
Thank you  :)

I'm no coder, but I would assume that Bomb Blast could be an immobile mob, Debris could be a mob (like Act 2's Golem's Prison Walls/Outlander's Bramble Wall). Not too sure what the limits of coding are, but I think it would be cool to have fights that are more dynamic than just 'tank n spank'.

I don't see these fights replacing vanilla, simply because some of the mechanics are WAY too punishing (even if just taking damage). Things like Bombs littering the ground/debris blocking movements will be very annoying for new players to deal with. (especially considering General Grell is the first 'real' boss)

potterman28wxcv

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 09:12:50 AM »
Yeah, but now the fight is just too boring. It's more a Champion than a boss actually. Bringing some dynamic battle would be cool imo, even in vanilla. Maybe not as hard as this ; but a little more of challenge wouldn't be so hard.

Still, I'm wondering if the newbies are dying when they face Grell on the first time. If they do, then the fight shouldn't be harder.

But anyway these kind of super hard fight could be implemented in RoD for example. Or some other leveling area.

Craftea

• Synergies Focus Group
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 05:58:52 AM »
Unlike the Winter Widow, I actually tried to keep closely to vanilla for this suggestion.

Vanilla General Grell has a straight line damage & knockback attack he uses once in a while (mirrored by Bomb Blast)

He has an attack where he smashes the ground and 'shoots' multiple quakes (mirrored by Stomp!)

He occasionally calls forth groups of minions to assist him (among them is a group of Deathflingers and the Shield wielding Strenborne)

He has an attack where he shoots the ceiling and causes blocks to rain from the ceiling dealing damage (random AOE type of attack, mirrored by Ceiling Shot/Ground Smash)

---

Vanilla Grell is somewhat dynamic, but it just isn't punishing. You don't really die from taking his attacks to the face, even if they are easily dodgable.

P.S.: I'm brainstorming up ideas based on Elemental Oasis and the Three Sisters.