Author Topic: Engineer in Synergies  (Read 11966 times)

GGunslinger

Engineer in Synergies
« on: May 30, 2014, 05:25:37 PM »
First important thing, english isn't my native language.

Engineer is my favourite class from vanilla Torchlight 2, as (s)he was easy to play, control and pretty satisfying. I used THIS GUIDE when I were in trouble (third tanking build, played co-op sometimes and it was perfect). I want to play Engineer again, this time with Synergies, but I want to ask for some advices first.

I prefer sword and shield.
Was anything changed in engineer? How is (s)he doing in Synergies, leveling and end-game? Are there any skills I must have or I should have in order to survive/kick some asses? Do I have to level my skills in some exact way like - healing bot first for healing, Onslaught for some damage/debuff, Aegis for tanking? Do I need dexterity and focus at all?

Miothan

• Bring in the dead, for the living has no use!
Re: Engineer in Synergies
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 06:21:33 PM »
Engineer in Synergies is about the same if im not misstaken, still the easiest to do Hardcore with and sword and board is fine.

You dont really need anything specific to survive, would recommend Emberquake tho since its the best attack to use if you use a melee weapon.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 06:24:27 PM by Miothan »
What was once dead, can be made into servants of death and destruction. Feast on the innocent, slaughter the weak and punish those who would stand in your way!

GGunslinger

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 10:25:01 AM »
Never tried Emberquake before, it works great for me. Deals a lot of damage and handling crowds becomes pretty easy. Thank you for suggestion.

If engineer here and engineer vanilla are the same, then I have no more questions. I think I can handle myself.

Oh, maybe one question. What's the best for solo engineer in Synergies, veteran difficulty or elite difficulty?

Miothan

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 10:31:53 AM »
Never tried Emberquake before, it works great for me. Deals a lot of damage and handling crowds becomes pretty easy. Thank you for suggestion.

If engineer here and engineer vanilla are the same, then I have no more questions. I think I can handle myself.

Oh, maybe one question. What's the best for solo engineer in Synergies, veteran difficulty or elite difficulty?

There is no "best" Veteran is easier, Elite is harder, thats the same for all classes. Engineer has an easy time in elite if you know what you are doing tho since he has a lot of survivability focused abilities etc.
What was once dead, can be made into servants of death and destruction. Feast on the innocent, slaughter the weak and punish those who would stand in your way!

potterman28wxcv

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 06:33:42 AM »
I used THIS GUIDE when I were in trouble (third tanking build, played co-op sometimes and it was perfect).

I remember having read this guide some time ago, it had be written shortly after the Torchlight II release, and I don't think this build is a good build for Synergies. It's a build more for vanilla (but every builds are suited for vanilla elite actually  ;D there's not that number suited for synergies elite)

The stats : not ok. He has done a kind of 2.5/0/0/2.5 (STR/DXT/FOC/VIT), and it's uneffective. First, no point in dexterity means that you will fumble often, and you won't benefit of the crits. It's useful to put 1 point per level in dexterity (more if you want to rely on crits, but really, putting only one point per level in dxt will boost your dps). Second, if you intend to use flame hammer and emberquake, that deals fire damage, you will need some points in focus. Because actually, once you have reached 100 STR, you start to have diminishing returns, and it's more efficient to invest in focus then if you do elemental damage. The only reason why one engineer should invest all in strength, would be if he intends to spend points in Coup de Grace, which is not the case here.

The skills :
  • This build has no Flame Hammer and no Emberquake ? You will really struggle to kill monsters without these skills. You need at least one of them (Emberquake being the most powerful). And if you take one, you have to take it at 15/15.
  • Aegis of Fate : 15/15 : definitely not viable in Synergies. In vanilla, Forcefield = OP unkillable, and Aegis = ok to survive. In synergies, Forcefield = ok to survive, and Aegis of Fate = useless. Forcefield will allow you to be protected against all damages (and not just physical one), and you will have a lot more hit points until you shield depletes (especially with Supercharge : with supercharge, you charge at max, and then you cast Forcefield.. and you are unkillable for at least 5 seconds).

So really, the base for a synergies engineer is Forcefield and (Flame Hammer or Emberquake). Or, if you want to go cannon, Blast Cannon. Or, if you want to go minions, Sledgebot+Spider Mines+Gun Bot

GGunslinger

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 07:10:39 AM »
So I should put 2 points in str, vit and 1 point in dex.
If I want to rely on Emberquake or Flame Hammer, I put 2 points per level in focus instead of str once my strenth reaches 100. EXPLOSIONS!
If I want to rely on Coup de Grace (I think I'll try that too), I can put 2 points per level in strength even after reaching 100. ELEctricitydoesn't sound so cool...
I need some respec potions. I will get Forcefield too. Thank you very much.

potterman28wxcv

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 04:22:28 AM »
Actually it depends on the builds. I have made a cannoneer which uses a lot coup de grace ; and you can clean entire columns of enemys really quick (actually, every one that can be stunned doesn't stand a chance against the high damage output of coup de grace when you put a lot of strength).

I know Blast Cannon can proc coup de grace, and i think emberquake can proc it too, still i'd have to test it to be sure. But as having emberquake has a high damage output, you maybe would prefer boosting emberquake damage with focus. It's up to you

Thatmg7

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 11:43:30 AM »
My current build is

Sword + Shield

1:1 Str/Vit

Extremely tanky but playing vet enemies are becoming hp sinks (im 86 trying to level to 100)

Hopefully I can make my build work end game.

The issue I have is I don't know what direction to take in upgrades etc.

My plan was the adamant set and upgrading it to the second version.

Then ? on what gems to use.

Also what is best to put in Weapon, the +200 damage skulls might be sub optimal unsure thu.

Thatmg7

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 06:59:15 PM »
I used THIS GUIDE when I were in trouble (third tanking build, played co-op sometimes and it was perfect).

"In synergies, Forcefield = ok to survive, and Aegis of Fate = useless."

That is incorrect Aegis of Fate is borderline broken and the most important survival mechanic of engineer in SynMod due to a fact that you get hit more often in this mod and the damage absorbtion when you have higher gear armour is massive. In addition the bonus resist is also cool.

Forcefield is a worthless skill in SynMod for the fact that basic enemies can take it down in 1-2 seconds and it costs tons of charges. (What should be going towards a offensive skill like ember hammer, combo'd with healing when you use charges)

Basically with enough DR and defences you can facetank easily.

Engi as a class has less damage potential than other classes but way more survivability.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 07:01:06 PM by Thatmg7 »

Miothan

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 01:10:11 AM »
Really should not reply to threads as old as these.

There is an excellent thread you can post your feedback in, where they are currently discussing the engineers abilities: http://forums.synergiesmod.com/index.php?topic=5606.0