Author Topic: Embermage Question  (Read 2638 times)

alteisen

Embermage Question
« on: July 05, 2014, 06:41:07 AM »
So, I want to ask question to you who play embermage in synergies.

• If you use staff, do you max staff mastery? I personally only put until level 11, where -26% elements resist per hit. I think the difference to reach -100% resist (where you can reach by 4 hits) compared when staff mastery is level 15 (where you can reach by 3 hits) is not much... ??? I do this in vanilla Torchlight 2 too.
  • How do you progess your skill from scratch? I for one only focus on 3-4 skill then when these skills cannot level up for the moment I put to another skill. The damage is good but got smashed by situation because lack of good skill that can control the situation.

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
Re: Embermage Question
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 10:44:09 PM »
What style of embermage are you making?
People motivate themselves, and are inspired by others.
--- I love making FUN encounters, the ones that make you scream with terror, and remember them forever! ---
**more awesome then an awesome possum**

alteisen

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 07:59:41 AM »
Regarding this question, an Ice Embermage. The first question appears because the debuff is per projectile, so you can gain -100% resist quickly by hit enemy with icy blast in near range without maxing staff mastery. And It's cumulative right? So it stacks by itself? (I hope I get the information correctly in  my mind)

The second question is like this.

At first I focus points on Icy Blast, Staff Mastery, Ice Brand, and Charge Mastery. Then I usually leaves the passives at lvl 5 then go to active skills. So as you can see when I got to The Temple Steppes, where the amount of enemies is increasing drastically IMO, I still have Icy Blast, Staff Mastery, Ice Brand, and Charge Mastery, with 1 point I spent on Frost Phase. So because of this, my damage is high but my mob controlling is kinda terrible. Consider I have tried put 1 point in Hail Storm and Frozen Fate, the mob controlling is good (from stun and freeze on kill) but the damage for single enemy is terrible.

TL;DR, killing speed or mob controlling?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 08:01:25 AM by alteisen »

Momiji

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 05:31:37 PM »
I would believe something like Staff Mastery would only proc the -armor once, just that it would reapply it on subsequent hits, otherwise it would be massively overpowered.

Then I'm not sure if -armor stacks with different effects, or if multiple values override each other, or add together etc.

I like having a balance of control and killing speed, depending on what's going on. My current embermage I'm working on is 31, and the first time I've not used Icy Blast. I'm using a Helmcracker hammer/mace thing + some unique shield that has +13 to each stat, that's augmented with a total of 80% extra crit (stat on wep + skull, it's quite nice to boost missing damage from not using 2hand), and then a 2hand warhammer that's for certain situations.

Fire: Using Magma Spear for long range, Magma Mace for DoT/shield break/close range stun (these do a lot of damage since I have up to 150% fire damage from gear + charge bar), couple points into Elemental Affinity for extra debuff power when I get swarmed, at least a point into fire brand.

Ice: Ice Wave at Tier 1 with a bit of %ice damage does quite a lot with the 3 waves + DoT also builds my charge up for Shock tree skills, Ice Prison working it's way up for blocking things off and isolating hero mobs. 1 point in frozen fate(?) and ice brand.

Shock: Thunder Locus at Tier 1 for now since it's doing decent damage and two of them helps tons when combined with Ice Prison and Tier1 Death's Bounty. Shock Bolts will be Tier 1 in a few levels for immobilize chance and more "ultra lagfest" (more bolts lol). Death's Bounty combines well with magma mace at close range swarms + other things, and the slow effect at tier 1 helps with everything else in general. 1-2 points into lightning brand.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 05:43:13 PM by Momiji »

alteisen

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 12:09:24 AM »
Staff Mastery

Reduces the elemental armor of any enemy you hit with your staff. This also includes Magma Spear, Magma Mace, Icy Blast, and Shockbolts. The armor is reduced by 6% with the first point, and increases by 2% for each additional point (-35% elemental armor per hit at fifteen points). Remember that these are cumulative, so it will only take three hits with fifteen points in the passive to reach 100% reduction. People were saying that you can't reduce armor below 0, but confirmation is needed on that.

source

Except you're trying to say this mechanic is changed in this mod... ???

And I don't think it's OP because enemy in elite has tons of HP and somehow you must keep the debuff with a skill at your choice within 8 seconds.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 12:12:33 AM by alteisen »

Momiji

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 03:03:32 AM »
Staff Mastery

Reduces the elemental armor of any enemy you hit with your staff. This also includes Magma Spear, Magma Mace, Icy Blast, and Shockbolts. The armor is reduced by 6% with the first point, and increases by 2% for each additional point (-35% elemental armor per hit at fifteen points). Remember that these are cumulative, so it will only take three hits with fifteen points in the passive to reach 100% reduction. People were saying that you can't reduce armor below 0, but confirmation is needed on that.

source

Except you're trying to say this mechanic is changed in this mod... ???

And I don't think it's OP because enemy in elite has tons of HP and somehow you must keep the debuff with a skill at your choice within 8 seconds.

I don't believe it's changed if that's how it is supposed to be, just I've never really believed for it to be cumulative with the percentage, because, most everything in the game that gives -armor, is a static value (stats on weapons, and embers)

The percentage is already useful enough at higher levels because it takes off even more armor as the values rise up, I feel like if it really is cumulative, this would end up having you easily breezing through ALL content in the game. But I honestly have no clue how -armor works.

alteisen

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 06:00:03 AM »
If information serves me correctly, the numbers cumulative but the timer don't. The timer only show the recent effect time applied. So each hit have its own instance.

But I don't understand why in the game forum said about being 5 seconds...