Author Topic: Friend locks up on my leveling  (Read 1368 times)

Zoz

Friend locks up on my leveling
« on: July 12, 2014, 09:59:21 PM »
I am running a necro - I have the frost wolf transformed pet.  I use your mod and Torchlight 2 Essentials.  T2E is listed first in the mod list.
My friend is running a berserker with the dragon pet but he switched to the yakotaur around lvl 28. He has the same mods in same order.
Starting at lvl 24 every time I would gain a level his computer would lock up immediately, his char would stay in the game - if he clicks anywhere in the game the dialog box indicating the game has stopped responding shows up.  When he clicks close game - I usually see Steam indicate he is playing torchlight, but the chat box says he disconnected.  If he chooses wait for program to respond he has to use task manager to stop it.  When we get started, he will have lost all the experience since last save.  He now just saves before I ding.
At level 24 I respec'd and picked up 3 spells I wasn't using before (essence bind, lich, and spore horde) - I tried respec'ing again and not getting those spells but he still locked up.  He always hosts the game, for some reason he cannot find my game when I host it.  We always play friends only game.  We use Mumble.

Nocturnalx36

Re: Friend locks up on my leveling
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 01:16:00 AM »
Well if it's a bug I've never seen anyone else have it. Does he lock up when he levels up? Or is it only when you level up?

Try having him Verify the integrity of his game cache. Open steam, go to games library, right click on Torchlight 2, go to properties, go to local files, and verify intergrity of game cache. Doubt it will fix anything, but if it's something stupid that can easily be fixed its worth a shot.

There could also be conflicts with the mods you guys are using, it would be a bit tedious to test, but turn a mod off, get into a game with eachother, and get a level, see if he locks up, if he does, then turn another off, then other, until by process of elimination you find which mod is causing it, turn that mod on by itself, and see if it still does it, can that mod or try to get help resolving the issue, if it works fine with just that mod on, start turning mods on one by one until it starts again, and you will find your issue, the easiest way to do this would be consoling levels or starting a new game. Like I said, tedious, and a pain in the butt, but its worth it if it works.

If none of the guys on here can help you, and changing your load order around / turning mods off doesn't work my guess is he has a memory leak of some sort, or has a hardware issue, but if he doesn't lock up when HE levels up, that pretty much throws the hardware theory out the window.

potterman28wxcv

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 06:09:06 AM »
Torchlight 2 Essentials has been known to cause multiplayer issues in the past, and it may still be the case now.

Zoz

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 08:17:56 AM »
Yea it only happens to him when I level.  When he levels neither of us have issues.
Yesterday he created a game, I joined, he dropped and he was able to see the game on the list and rejoin with me hosting - so it doesn't seem like who hosts matters.
We will be testing alts and different computers next week - see if we can duplicate the issue that way.

Thanks for the game cache tip we will try that and we will see if the issue happens on different computers and by disabling Torchlight 2 Essentials.

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 06:21:53 PM »
truly strange, i wonder if essentials changes the leveling up layout or not, only thing that i can think of that would cause this issue.

Synergies doesn't touch it that's for sure.
People motivate themselves, and are inspired by others.
--- I love making FUN encounters, the ones that make you scream with terror, and remember them forever! ---
**more awesome then an awesome possum**

Zoz

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 05:52:47 PM »
We decided to just do away with Essentials - ended up deleting a couple toons we could not get loaded without that mod.  Synergies is all we need.