Author Topic: Embermage, weaksause?  (Read 19206 times)

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
Re: Embermage, weaksause?
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2014, 11:11:00 AM »
each of the other storms do their effect, can't say it would be any different in lightning.
People motivate themselves, and are inspired by others.
--- I love making FUN encounters, the ones that make you scream with terror, and remember them forever! ---
**more awesome then an awesome possum**

PhoenixWing

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2014, 06:42:02 AM »
Embermage's charge is also one of the weak part of her. With full charge, you get like +25% all damage, that means if you have +300% damage from focus / equips, you will get like (425 - 400) / 400 = ~+6% damage.

The unlimited mana is useful though, but not as useful as other classes I guess.

potterman28wxcv

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2014, 08:28:18 AM »
Embermage's charge is also one of the weak part of her. With full charge, you get like +25% all damage, that means if you have +300% damage from focus / equips, you will get like (425 - 400) / 400 = ~+6% damage.

The unlimited mana is useful though, but not as useful as other classes I guess.

No I don't think it's calculated this way. I think +25% to all damage means +25% to fire damage, +25% to lightning damage, etc.. With percentages being additive. So that would make +325% elemental damage instead of +306% elemental damage. To be confirmed though ; but even if that wasn't the case and you counted each damage bonus seperately, then you would get actually stronger damage than 325%, so I really don't get why you did (425 - 400)/400 or what does it actually refer too

Miothan

• Bring in the dead, for the living has no use!
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2014, 10:36:52 AM »

Embermage's Charge effect is useful, you will never need any mana potions and even tho the +25% to all damage (Fire, lighthing, poiso, ice and Physical) isnt huge, its still something you get for free.

It can be argued that it is much less efficient than the other charge effects, i myself would say it is decent, unlimited mana is great, tho with the current state of the embermage id say we first need an ability worth spamming for it to BECOME useful :P
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 10:46:51 AM by Miothan »
What was once dead, can be made into servants of death and destruction. Feast on the innocent, slaughter the weak and punish those who would stand in your way!

PhoenixWing

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2014, 12:14:54 AM »
No I don't think it's calculated this way. I think +25% to all damage means +25% to fire damage, +25% to lightning damage, etc.. With percentages being additive. So that would make +325% elemental damage instead of +306% elemental damage. To be confirmed though ; but even if that wasn't the case and you counted each damage bonus seperately, then you would get actually stronger damage than 325%, so I really don't get why you did (425 - 400)/400 or what does it actually refer too

I mean it is +6% of your modified damage (not the increase from base damage).

If you look at the elemental bonus % at your stat, you will see it went up by 25, just like when you equip +25% all damage thing. If you normally do 100 damage with an ice spell, at 600 focus you would do 100 +300% = 400 damage with that spell. With the full chargebar, you would do 100 +325%, that would be 425 damage, hence 425 - 400 = 25 damage difference, accounted to 25/400 = 6% increase from your original damage.

Embermage's Charge effect is useful, you will never need any mana potions and even tho the +25% to all damage (Fire, lighthing, poiso, ice and Physical) isnt huge, its still something you get for free.

It can be argued that it is much less efficient than the other charge effects, i myself would say it is decent, unlimited mana is great, tho with the current state of the embermage id say we first need an ability worth spamming for it to BECOME useful :P

Yeah I guess so... maybe the damage IS the issue :(

alteisen

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2014, 09:38:21 AM »

Yes it is. Maybe it just only me, but when I try Frost Mage, Icy Blast do more damage than Frost Wave. Maybe because Icy Blast can hit more than once.

Another way to increase damage is by Elemental Boon. But IMHO this skill is worthless in this mod. 15 seconds isn't enough to clear a mob, especially when there is a hero or elites. Or maybe It's just me who don't like having too many active skills.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 09:44:30 AM by alteisen »

Miothan

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2014, 08:00:58 PM »

Yes it is. Maybe it just only me, but when I try Frost Mage, Icy Blast do more damage than Frost Wave. Maybe because Icy Blast can hit more than once.

Another way to increase damage is by Elemental Boon. But IMHO this skill is worthless in this mod. 15 seconds isn't enough to clear a mob, especially when there is a hero or elites. Or maybe It's just me who don't like having too many active skills.

There are better abilities to spend 15 skill-points on ^^,  whenever an ability has +dmg reduction only to a few then i se it as garbage, as Synergies is balanced for +75% damage reduction, so you will be in deep shit if you have lets say 55% physical damage reduction and 75% damage reduction to all elements, and theres also the "problem" of elemental boon only lasting for 15 seconds, with a cooldown of 30 seconds that makes it much less desirable.

Icy Blast isnt really a great ability, cant use it as a main damage ability due to the fact it has to large of a spread on the ice "bullets" and theres only 5 of them, and since its only ice damage it can only proc 1 brand unless Elemental Attunement has debuffed the enemy with the fire, ice and lightning debuff.

And theres more, "Magma Spear" is not affected by cast speed, which is rather strange.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 08:40:39 PM by Miothan »
What was once dead, can be made into servants of death and destruction. Feast on the innocent, slaughter the weak and punish those who would stand in your way!

alteisen

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2014, 08:40:14 PM »
@Mio Wait, you know Elemental Attunement is aura, right? Except you want Salan change it like that, I support that. It will make investing in Elemental Attunement and 3 brands really worth. And this is another way to increase embermage damage.

Oh you just edited that...:p
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 08:41:48 PM by alteisen »

Miothan

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2014, 08:42:43 PM »
@Mio Wait, you know Elemental Attunement is aura, right? Except you want Salan change it like that, I support that. It will make investing in Elemental Attunement and 3 brands really worth. And this is another way to increase embermage damage.

Yea i know Elemental Attunement is an aura, which is not a good thing for a class that is supposed to be a ranged nuker. And i think the brands should be able to proc from anything, limiting it to specific elements to proc is bad as well, but if Elemental Attunement would be changed to 15% to proc on any damage done, it would be solved.

Theres also the skill "Charge Mastery" i can understand why it is there, as it can extend and make it easier to fill up the charge-bar in TL2, but in Synergies that skill is a complete waste of points, it takes 1-2 shots to fill up my charge-bar as an Embermage  (takes 2 if i dont crit), i would say that is a grand candidate for a skill-change ;O

LightningStorm: If you use the skill while you have a target moused over, you will run into what IT thinks is its "range", that should be removed, need to cast it where ever we want without our character running closer to a target.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 09:12:38 PM by Miothan »

alteisen

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2014, 08:57:45 PM »
Theres also the skill "Charge Mastery" i can understand why it is there, as it can extend and make it easier to fill up the charge-bar in TL2, but in Synergies that skill is a complete waste of points, it takes 1-2 shots to fill up my charge-bar as an Embermage  (takes 2 if i dont crit), i would say that is a grand candidate for a skill-change ;O

Agreed. While in early game I had some difficulties to fill charge, now my shockbolt + lightning strike can fill it easily even though still lvl 53. Maybe make it like Berserker frenzy mastery not a bad idea. 12 + (0.5 x sLvl) seconds of free mana. :D

Miothan

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2014, 09:35:02 PM »

Agreed. While in early game I had some difficulties to fill charge, now my shockbolt + lightning strike can fill it easily even though still lvl 53. Maybe make it like Berserker frenzy mastery not a bad idea. 12 + (0.5 x sLvl) seconds of free mana. :D

Yea that would probably be a much better skill ^^ tho i doubt many T1 players would use it, since it takes about 1-1.5 seconds to fill up the charge bar hehe :D

Skills i think needs to be changed are:

Prismatic Bolt: This skill suffers from being reflected to much vs. T1 content, not sure what would be an ideal change to make it a viable ability for T1 content as an Embermage, perhaps ad 15% chance to debuff enemy Missile Reflect chance by 100% for 3 seconds, after all, it IS a single-target ability
Astral Ally: Should be changed to have the passives of the Embermage, and to cast the same skills that the owner has but with reduced efficiency and damage , such as half the dmg of Frost wave etc
Blazing Pillars: Should have a Higher Duration, currently they can miss a target completely due to enemy movement, increase duration, increase the cooldown to compensate
Magma Spear: Needs to be able to cast it faster with cast speed, atm it is not effected by cast speed
LightningStorm: Need to be able to cast it without moving closer to any target if we mouse over a target
Charge Mastery: Needs a complete overhaul, no idea what tho, but something useful, a health gain ability could be great for this passive skill
Wand Chaos: Wands are not the best weapons for an Embermage, should remove the restriction of needing a wand
Staff Mastery: Should remove the requirement of needing ANY weapon, perhaps then Embermages would be able to be called "glasscannon", 2-handed staffs have certainly not been better than non-staff weapons
Prismatic Rift: Needs to do something useful, chance to heal to full, chance to stun enemies for 8 seconds even bosses for that duration, change to open a rift into an alternate dimension for a second and suck in the enemies for a lot of damage, things like that
Death's Bounty: Should be changed to be an "on-demand" healing ability, on-demand healing abilities are what players need vs. T1 content, you get hit for 25k and have 5k left? great, use your healing ability that actually HEALS YOU NOW
Elemental Boon: Remove the dmg reductions and add in resistance to everything such as: Teleport, Slow, Stun, Immobalize and Knockback at 72% just like the current immobalize resistance, increase duration to 20 seconds

These changes that i propose are to make sure that the Embermage can compete in T1 content and above, cause right now Embermage is not good enough to enjoy vs. T1 content (for me that is, i know theres probably a lot of players enjoying Embermage even tho its fairly weak). If Embermage is supposed to be a "glasscannon" then the class first needs the damage to make it that, its ok if a "glasscannon" doesnt have much survivability, becuase that is made up by killing stuff so much faster than classes that can take a lot of hits and survive.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 09:37:58 PM by Miothan »

alteisen

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2014, 01:15:39 AM »
I never like the idea of removing weapon restriction on staff mastery and wand chaos. These 2 skills make embermage more vary by how they kill enemies. While staff makes enemies resistance to 0, wand makes enemies suffer from various kind of elemental attacks. This is also the reason why I dislike the mod which remove the weapon restriction on these 2 skills. It is really overpowered IMHO.

Another reason is since TL1 I love wands. :)

PhoenixWing

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2014, 01:56:31 AM »
Another possible way is to make them trigger on every spell too, not only dps-based skills. This will still keep the theme of wand-staff wearing mage. :D

alteisen

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2014, 04:03:31 AM »
Another possible way is to make them trigger on every spell too, not only dps-based skills. This will still keep the theme of wand-staff wearing mage. :D

Not a bad idea. Still, I REALLY want to make a dual wield wands attack on left click embermage. But I don't know if this is viable or not in this mod... ::)

I guess embermage is still need a fix here and there to become as powerful as other classes.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 04:06:34 AM by alteisen »

Miothan

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2014, 07:35:21 AM »
I never like the idea of removing weapon restriction on staff mastery and wand chaos. These 2 skills make embermage more vary by how they kill enemies. While staff makes enemies resistance to 0, wand makes enemies suffer from various kind of elemental attacks. This is also the reason why I dislike the mod which remove the weapon restriction on these 2 skills. It is really overpowered IMHO.

Another reason is since TL1 I love wands. :)

Problem is, Wands and Staffs so-far have been very bad, which is why i want the restriction to be removed, if a Wand and Staff is to be used, then they have to be good enough to BE used, right now tehre is not a single wand or staff that beats out the available weapons that are NOT wands and/or staffs.

And it becomes a problem as well, becuase, if a certain weapon is not a wand or a staff and is the best weapon, then those 2 abilities are useless as you cant use them (Which is the case right now)

Wand and staff mastery could simply be changed to work with one-handed weapon equiped and 2-handed weapon equiped so that the passives can be used, cause right now you are nerfing your Embermage if you equip a wand or staff just to use any of those 2 abilities.