Author Topic: Tainted Pet Food  (Read 1283 times)

Terdwilicker

Tainted Pet Food
« on: August 26, 2014, 03:20:34 PM »
In the game, you fish, and sometimes you catch a fish that turns your pet into a monster for a few minutes. Otherwise the fish are pretty useless. What if that transformation left a lasting impact on the pet, a taint? What if turning your pet into a spider a few times boosts your pet's poison armor rating by 10 each time, for permanent and cumulative effect. What if it also gives a chance to poison on attack, say 1% per transformation, per spider egg? Same for vampire spider, only that also activates a permanent low-grade vampire/health steal point total which accumulates. 
And if your pet turns into a crab, that boosts electric armor by 10, each transformation, permanently. And that your pet will have a chance to shock during fights, and also emit a chance for AOE shock radius when struck, some low chance that accumulates around 1% per crab egg fed to the pet.
Apply various fish and eggs as needed, in the background, and increment the animal's stats for this bonus to work properly.

In theory, this would be easier to setup than allowing enchanting of the collar and tags, or adding ring slots for the pet, though those are a fine idea too.

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
Re: Tainted Pet Food
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 03:21:16 PM »
you could have an effect applied that saves to the pet therefore causing this to happen easily.
People motivate themselves, and are inspired by others.
--- I love making FUN encounters, the ones that make you scream with terror, and remember them forever! ---
**more awesome then an awesome possum**

potterman28wxcv

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 05:07:43 PM »
Yeah I like the idea, it would give a true reason to go back to (blast) fishing :P

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 07:17:58 PM »

In theory, this would be easier to setup than allowing enchanting of the collar and tags, or adding ring slots for the pet, though those are a fine idea too.

I am going to be making new items for pets soon, and enchanting them will be easy to do tbh
--- I love making FUN encounters, the ones that make you scream with terror, and remember them forever! ---

Terdwilicker

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 01:09:24 PM »
I had also read about some kind of alchemy trick that can be done with fish, which creates a potion that ups specific resistances/elemental armors for the player. It was only available on Steam. I think it was called the "Sushi mod". I don't have steam so I've never played with it.

The ability to turn fish into consumables that mod your resistances would be really helpful. The gems are so fussy about what level item you can socket them, usually so late and so little they're largely pointless compared to bloodstones that regenerate your HP or Mana. If you could up your resistances by the effort of fishing, it would make it more useful to bother with clearing an area and catching fish.

Doing this in addition to feeding fish to the pet for permanent upgrades also gives you a strategic choice between yourself and your pet for the bonus. This makes the game more interesting.

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 01:10:45 PM »
There are resistance potions in the general vender still I believe as well..

hmmm

Terdwilicker

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 01:58:29 PM »
It was my understanding this was a permanent increase rather than the temporary potion you can buy. Its also cumulative, which encourages more fishing, and more decision making between helping yourself or your pet get stronger and tougher.