Author Topic: Range skills  (Read 8384 times)

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
Range skills
« on: August 28, 2014, 12:21:33 PM »
With the way that procs work and needing to be refreshed I will be adjusting the mana costs/damage of the base ranged skills to compensate for this.

as well as the damage and consistency of the procs.

I just wanted to leave this thread here as a start of the discussion about the ranged skills.

My psersonal feeling is that I really like the darts and staticshock.  I like the way the bombardment works but it never really turned out the way I envisioned it and I will probably try to tweak it more after getting the rest done, probably add a few more arrows with tiers and increase its cooldown.
People motivate themselves, and are inspired by others.
--- I love making FUN encounters, the ones that make you scream with terror, and remember them forever! ---
**more awesome then an awesome possum**

Zuzu

Re: Range skills
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 09:28:04 AM »
To be honest i just dont get how the ranger storm counters work. I mean lighting strike and storm surge. I just dont see those skills do anythink right now.

Blas

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 05:30:06 PM »
Hey Salan,

I just started a Ranger and I went ranged.

I love Thorns (I believe what you refered as to Darts).  Pretty awesome skill with a great feel.  Sometimes I get stuck in an odd position where i'm hitting the enemy while standing in front of him when I do a normal attack but when I hit Thorns I do an about face and attack in the other direction :o.  Think of it as I'm trying to shotgun the enemy up close, but decide to turn around and shoot in the opposite direction.

Bombardment started off cool, continue to be cool, but the end was disappointing  8).  I guess I was expecting a bigger bang haha.  In general the skill doesn't seem very useful at lower levels.

The same with the trees, at lower levels they feel meh.  This will probably change as I go on.

I'll do my best to keep with the input as there seems to be a lack of ranged feedback here.  My playtime is limited though.

Amazing job on this MOD.  When I try and describe the work you have done to friends who do not play torchlight 2, they give me a look that they don't believe it.  Oh well.  Thank You so much for your time and efforts in bringing us such entertainment.

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 08:28:16 PM »
I have a feeling the second shot on bombardment isn't showing up visually, or its hiding it under the first one. I might have to see if I can make it all 1 damage shape, because the numbers are actually quite high on it.

The lightning tree uses YOUR damage for its damage, so if its meh, its all you.  I tested it with a full aftermath set and it was hitting for 100k a hit at full points.

I am going to start playing a range ranger myself real soon as well, lots of feedback on the melee one coming in.

Thanks for taking the time to write about it.
--- I love making FUN encounters, the ones that make you scream with terror, and remember them forever! ---

Blas

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 08:07:44 AM »
You are right about the lightning tree.  As I go on, I'm starting to see how I can use it better.  Right now against hero/elites/bosses lightning tree + bow is great! At lower levels, thorns owned everything and there was no need to use lightning tree :).

Thorns, I love this skill and I have a blast with it (I know I already said this haha), I hope it doesn't outclass the other skills.  I know you are still working on the trees so I don't have a good point of reference for comparison.

I'll do my best to offer good feedback, Salan.  Thank you for reading my post :)!

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 12:00:46 PM »
The ranged skills offer completely different utility.

Thorns will generate nature counters, Static shot generates storm counters and bombard is a ranged debuff.

Blas

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 09:17:42 AM »
Hey Salan,

I apologize, but I'm having trouble understanding Lightning strike, Storm surge, and Electrocute.

Blas

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 05:46:19 AM »
This is how I'm running my ranger currently (I've changed it so many times haha), and just dumping points it everything I can.

4 Str, 1 Dex

Combat

Rites of the Sun

Nature

Thorns
Tree of Roots
Tree of Life
Giant Killer
Nature's Rage
Old Growth
Nature's Blessing
Gift of Renewal

Storm

Tree of Lightning
Rite of the Moon

I usually just kill things with Thorns and the normal attack, but when there is a large group w/ Hero and Bosses I drop all the trees, summons, and hit nature's rage.  They do a good job of clearing pretty quickly.

It's been working fairly well at this point, but as I continue to get deeper I'm sure I'll make changes.  I wish I had more time to play :(.

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 11:28:06 AM »
Hey Salan,

I apologize, but I'm having trouble understanding Lightning strike, Storm surge, and Electrocute.

lightning strike will cast a lightning bolt on enemies while the buff is active and you have charges

Electrocute is kind of the opposite, it builds itself up as the buff is active then blows up once the current gets stronger then your investment level, the higher the number the stronger the explosion.

storm surge gives you % lightning damage bonus as a buff.

Blas

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2014, 09:07:33 AM »
Hey Salan,

I've tried different combo of skills.

ATM

Combat

Breathing Room
Rites of the Sun

Nature

Thorns
Tree of Life
Giant Killer
Nature's Rage
Old Growth
Nature's Blessing
Gift of Renewal

Storm

Tree of Lightning
Rite of the Moon

Absolutely wrecks.  It's pretty much outdone going primarily storm skills.  I might add bombardment to the mix just for the debuff, but the 2 pets with feral rage does great damage vs building up storm/lightning/electrocute counters.  This is even trying different stat combinations including str/focus.

It really could be I'm just doing it wrong and if you have suggestions of viable gameplay let me know :).  But I think a majority of storm tree skills could use some buffs.

Of course I'm not at the raiding levels yet, so my observations could be invalid.

inT.

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2014, 08:50:01 PM »
Does it tell me somewhere what the nature counters do? When I hover over all 25 of them I don't get any feedback. So what are those lovely little numbers doing for me?

Reptar

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2014, 10:26:46 PM »
I started a fresh 100 Ranger (I'm not far into end game on my other character a warlock, but I really like the ranger as a ranged character concept so I decided to swap over and be patient until the updates)

I've tinkered with a few skills here and there, and this is where I'm currently at

15/15 Tree of Life
15/15 Tree of Lightning
15/15 Storm Surge (Am I right in assuming that Storm charge staying at 10 charges no matter what I do is right/working as intended? or am I not understanding what a strike is?)
15/15 Electrocute
15/15 Static Shot or Thorns (This is where my main problem lies so far I think)
15/15 on all Lightning passives
15/15 Natures Blessing
15/15 Gift of Renewal (Currently toying with a Thorns build) or 15/15 Slashing wounds

Stats I went 50/50 on Str/Focus, Maybe there's where I went wrong too, I assume because I'm going so deep into lightning that I should pump up some focus over Dex

Now, on paper this was the best build i could come up with, I've considered knocking like 5-10points off total here and there, and going maxed Static shot, and going 5-10 into thorns to deal with AOE needs. But really, unless there's something I'm not understanding, the DPS is absolutely sub par compared to my Warlock of the exact same scenarios (Fresh 100, geared with nothing more then the best I could find at TM and enchants, in RoD farming skulls and whatnot) and it's a constant kiting nightmare (I can live just fine, but it's just I do no damage, and I run oom super fast, it becomes more me kiting around so the lightning tree can do work, dump my mana pool fast, and rinse and repeat)

Thorns issue is its great damage if Im close, but at any safe distance from a big enemy barely any hits, Static shot is just I have a hard time clearing rooms with it (giving me the
idea to dump just a few points into thorns for a low mana trash clearer that can stack up some free natures marks or whatever its called)

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2014, 11:50:37 PM »
I spent a lot of time balancing the melee side, now its time we work on the ranged for sure!

Reptar

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2014, 11:55:13 PM »
Awesome to hear, looking forward to seeing the changes because from what I'm seeing about how things chain together I'm really loving how the ranged side feels, the numbers just aren't quite up to par

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2014, 12:05:02 AM »
the feel is the harder thing to get right, numbers are numbers, look at the changes to survivability in the combat side, felt great, unsurvivable.

now it is survivable and still feels great ;)