Author Topic: Experiances with a Combat Ranger  (Read 15542 times)

Evadebug

Re: Experiances with a Combat Ranger
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2014, 05:55:27 PM »
10 piece residual aftermath solves the mana issue.  Havent tried the new tree of life, but it could also help with mana issues.

So after a bunch of grinding on my ranger last night, I made progress but was dead as much as I was alive.  I realize that some of my issues stem around my missle reflect not being maxxed (as Ive prioritized HP and Damage resist on enchants, still working on finishing gems).  Im hoping that once my gearing is optimal, that I wont be dying every time I meet 4+ enemies.  I closure in, manage to kill one, die, run back an repeat the process.  The generals are especially annoying with their respawning the minions I just killed. And swarms of minions are a huge pain, as the ranger is primarily single click to kill, and one hit kills the skeleton, gaining me very little health on hit, and the other 10 are still beating on me as Im trying to find another target to click on.  Kiting with our only range spell on a 4 second cooldown takes a long time, and I often neglect using bramble wall in fights as I dont know if the amount of life I lose when not auto attacking during its cast time will kill me.  And without a decent movement skill for escape (as I usually closure in, it is on a 5 second cooldown, and pulls the enemies with me if I leap out of the fray), I usually just auto attack with hopes that my health steal will keep me alive till I die.  And the entire time Im enjoying how different this class feels.  Tonight Im going to do the big boys, Rak'var, Warlock and Netherlord... or die trying... over and over and over....

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2014, 05:57:33 PM »
mm  if i combine bladeweaving and bladedancing maybe an escape skill would help...
People motivate themselves, and are inspired by others.
--- I love making FUN encounters, the ones that make you scream with terror, and remember them forever! ---
**more awesome then an awesome possum**

Evadebug

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2014, 06:09:21 PM »
Perhaps, but in my experiance the ranger really needs some added survivability, especially when there are multiple enemies (unless its just my gear being sub optimal).  Unless you want to combine the 2, and have defensive abilities at the top tier of an escape spell.  Like "camouflage - you dissapear for 2 seconds" but at high tiers it gives defensive stats of dodge since the enemies cant see you well.  Although im sure if you play around with your perfect build ranger for a bit, you will come up with a balance of escape/disengage and adding to the survivability.  The ranger just currently doesnt have an "Oh Crap" button, which I feel melee characters need.

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2014, 07:12:42 PM »
dodge might be good, I don't see DEX as having much use for a ranger in most cases, it will likely be our least used stat.. hmmm
--- I love making FUN encounters, the ones that make you scream with terror, and remember them forever! ---

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2014, 07:19:04 PM »
Bladeweaving
you weave your blades around yourself, protecting yourself as you escape your location. <temp description>
Charge move, no damage done (moves you from your location to a new location, FAST cast speed)
Knocks back enemies as you run through them.
LOW COOLDOWN
LOWER COST
5skill points: adds DODGE %
10skill points: adds high amount of armor while using skill, and shortly after. (parry effect of blades weaving around player)
15skill points: adds a health regen for limited time to the player (something like max tree regen added for 5 seconds)

Evadebug

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2014, 11:40:29 AM »
I have really enjoyed the most recent changes made to the ranger.  Bladeweaving and dancing have given that extra survivability, and has changed my playstyle to be more of a guerilla fighter, weaving in and out of battle depending on how Im faring.  I am constantly engaged in managing counters, ensure all debuffs and buffs are active, and keeping track of health.  And although I have defeated most of the bosses, Im not sure if Ill ever be able to kill Rak'var or Netherlord.  Im currently struggling with having enough defensive stats not to die instantly, but also increasing my damage output as any encounter that summons extra minions (rak'var, generals, netherlord) quickly become unmanagable since I cant kill them fast enough.    The combat ranger is primarily a single target damage dealer, and without sufficient AoE or crowd control to limit incoming damage, it soon just makes me quit that game.  Ill continue to experiment with gearing, and become better at the fights I can win, but without the ability to deal with minions it will be a hard road.

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2014, 01:41:14 PM »
mm..

so the issue is not enough splash in those fights.

For a melee ranger
Single target:

procs: Thousand cuts, Lightning strike, slashing wounds, giant killer
attacks: none
Tree:  tree of electricity

AoE damage:

normal: Your weapon swings
Procs: Sweeping strike, Vengeance,  thunderstorm
attacks: Breathing room, closure, Baldeweaving, bramble wall
Tree: tree of roots

So, the issue isn't not having enough AOE damage, because every single one of the single target effects fire off of any AOE hit, depending if it fires on skill or not.

Slashing wounds will fire every time it hits, its not a HUGE amount of damage each time it hits, but it is consistent damage, I might change how it works (ie lower its amount and make it more stackable)

Thousand cuts fires on any hit on a monster, it does have a minimal internal cooldown so you don't lose all your counters instantly and it fires more like an actual attack, then a true rapid fire proc.

Lightning strike fires on skill hits, and has the smallest internal cooldown, simply enough time for it to let the animation fire again.

Giant killer:  This one is a bit odd, the three procs will actually fire on any monster they hit, but only effect the unittype they are designed to damage.  These do high damage and are noticable when hitting bosses.

Lightning tree:  Have you actually watched how much damage this tree will put out?  It uses YOUR dps not the tree's.

What is your build now?

Evadebug

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2014, 02:35:42 PM »
I dont run with giant killer (as I try to maintain 25 nature counters for 75% damage resist and maximum life on hit), and I had stopped using lightning strike as its uptime with 5 charges was like 2 seconds, so it turned into a mana hog (which isnt as much of an issue with 10 piece residual, but if I go reactive it could be).  However I will try lightning strike again, my focus is at base since my damage was mostly physical, but it might give the AoE required.  I will play around with a more AoE focused build and see how it works in minion heavy fights.  By the way, does immobilization work like frozen, in that they cannot attack you if they are not directly facing you? Or does it just keep them in place?

Evadebug

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2014, 06:04:49 PM »
So my current build is:

15 - Thousand Cuts
15 - Sweeping Strikes
15 - Closure
15 - Blade Weaving
15 - Blade Dancing
1 - Slashing Wounds
15 - Precision

15 - Bramble Wall
1 - Nature's Vengence
1 - Old Growth
15 - Nature's Blessing
15 - Gift of Renewal

15 - Lightning Strike
1 - Thunderstorm
1 - Storm Warning

I still have a few gems left to find, but my current stats in DarknessFalls are roughly :

30k Health
74% Damage reduction (once Natures blessing is charged)
79.4% Missile Reflection
89% Parry + 20% from ranger charge bar
58% Dodge + 18% Dodge from Blade weaving

And playing on casual difficulty, Rak' var and Netherlord are beyond my ability to kill (adds never stop spawning, so I can never get ahead of them to dps the boss).  I can't kill abe before his chest is hidden.  And the death total on warlock runs keeps rising (werewolf and netherwarrior are fine, but the dragon/fire warlock dps is insane, especially with the dragon always being in the air, untargettable).  And Im really considering investing more in Storm Warning, as knockback wrecks me (cant get into range to leech, and just like immobilization, if I can hit something, I die.)

Miothan

• Bring in the dead, for the living has no use!
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2014, 08:18:53 PM »
30k Health
74% Damage reduction (once Natures blessing is charged)
79.4% Missile Reflection
89% Parry + 20% from ranger charge bar
58% Dodge + 18% Dodge from Blade weaving

Just curious, what are your offensive stats at ? plan on trying out my own Ranger vs. T1 bosses soon ^^
What was once dead, can be made into servants of death and destruction. Feast on the innocent, slaughter the weak and punish those who would stand in your way!

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2014, 08:25:18 PM »
you said you have one of the T1 sets?

Evadebug

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2014, 05:30:31 PM »
Just curious, what are your offensive stats at ? plan on trying out my own Ranger vs. T1 bosses soon ^^

My offensive stats are quite low, as I ended up enchanting/gemming almost entirely to survive (and it still isnt enough).  Im am enchanted entirely with HP or Damage reduction.  I had to use 3 Soldier's folly (40% missile reflection) in an attempt not to get destroyed in DF.  I also used a calypso's curse (25% dodge) to reach dodge cap.  I just need my second Rak'var's talon to reach 100% crit and 500% crit damage.  I look forward to your input regarding combat ranger vs. DF, as I personally feel the ranger is still a bit too weak for endgame (If Salan almost died on Abe, and wasnt able to get the challenge chest with a fully geared ranger, Im not sure what chance a Rak'var Challenge Chest has of being opened by a Ranger).

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2014, 05:34:19 PM »
I'm a wimp thou :(

hmm obviously with the class only being less then a month old it will need some tweaking as we continue going forward, its great feedback either way.

stackmanpf77

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2014, 03:05:02 PM »
Glad I'm not the only one with serious survivability issues lol..

Vet difficulty, geared with l105 (draketalon pieces) + assasin's set (8pieces, including a pair of the set wakizashi)

86% crit
100% execute
+464% crit damage
75% all damage resistances
dodge 65% (83% with bladedancing charges up)
just shy of 24k health

thousand cuts 15
sweeping strikes 15
bladedancing 15
bladeweaving 15
breathing room 1
inner focus 15
precision 15

bramble wall 1
tree of life 15
nature's vengeance 2
giant killer 10
old growth 1
nature's blessing 15
gift of renewal 15

with all buffs charged and a tree pumping out the heals, slamming back heal pots, PLUS my pet equipped with health steal stuff, and t1 bosses are two-shotting me. I can BARELY make it through the trash mobs with my skin intact - but if I pull too many, I'm hosed.

Damage output isn't the problem (constantly critting + executing for 80-110k), problems I've encountered so far are based around two things - lack of defensive capability, and keeping charges up on the proc attacks bleeds mana dry in a matter of 5-6 seconds (and that's with 20something mana steal on each weapon hitting twice every 0.72 > 0.53 seconds too..)

Whatever the outcome, I hope the ranger gets some survival love, because it's an awesome class that's fun (but frustrating) to play.

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2014, 06:06:07 PM »
The difference with the ranger healing and other melee classes must revolve around two things:

1 BURST heals.  Berserker healing % on crit, Paladin lay on hands
2 HEALTH BUBBLE: Warlock has a minor bubble, Engineers have a huge bubble.

another stat to look at is the HEALTH INCREASE:  The ranger health increase is likely too finicky with being based on nature stats unless a player does not use giant killer.

I would suspect that a necromancer doing melee damage would run into a lot of the same problems a ranger would, except that the necromancer would likely be a pet hybrid and its pets play a different role.

Again this is considering MELEE only, this whole thread mostly.

HOW I FORSEE A RANGER NEEDS TO BE PLAYED, from my own experiences.

1: Cast all my procs
2: hit the boss as hard as I can, try to gain any procs that I can from this
3: Once I take any damage, I must disengage, allowing my superior regeneration to regenerate the damage.
4: start over.

It DOES slow down boss fights like ABE, and its why I didn't get my challenge chest from him.  Although in abes case he teleported away from me and I was able to heal because of his own mechanics, just don't ignore the trash, KILL THEM...  On other fights I was never 1 shotted.

in conclusion:  from my testing, and testaments of players here I believe a fully tier1'd ranger (tier0 ranger will have to get its own thread of 'how to') CAN do these bosses, some with difficulty (as it should be).  This class has neither the health reserves of a health bubble or the burst of a huge constant firing heal that regenerates huge life on need.  the ranger has major regeneration, damage absorption but no pure mitigation with shield use.  This class was NOT made to be a face tanker, and its use of procs and huge burst damage allow it to hit, move, and then hit again without losing as much damage output as a much more consistent damage outputting class like the engineer.

I personally am not completely sure the class is broken in this content, we are still getting use to its completely different play style.  (it IS different in both leveling and end game then anything we are use to).

I am not against making more changes, and am brainstorming directions for survival alterations as we speak.