Author Topic: Experiances with a Combat Ranger  (Read 15600 times)

Evadebug

Re: Experiances with a Combat Ranger
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2014, 08:59:17 PM »
So with tier 2 on the horizon, I was hoping to get others input on how they are setting up thier Combat Rangers.  Im always looking for ways to improve my gameplay, and enjoy hearing what is working for others. When it comes to endgame raiding with my Combat Ranger, I have a core of skills that I always pick up, no matter the respec, because endgame alters the weighting of what is important.

Thousand Cuts 15
Sweeping Strikes 15
Closure 15
Blade Dancing 15
Precision 15
Bramble Wall 15
Nature's Blessing 15
Gift of Renewal 15

These skills offer the most survivability, which is more important than damage for a melee class engame.  This still leaves 30 points to allocate, and this is where Im constantly testing in an effort to maximize damage/minimize deaths.  Here is a quick rundown of the skills and what Ive found:

Breathing Room - Ive always seen this as more of a ranged dps skill.  It has limited range, a knockback and a cast time, something I try to limit when dpsing.  I could see its uses as crowd control, but even then its blind and fear arent guarenteed.  0 points

Blade Weaving - I always take this is some capacity.  Although It currently doesnt operate the way Salan wants it too, it gives added mobility for repositioning.  My main issue with it is that without the ability to break snares, it feels a bit lackluster as a disengage.  You have to take 10 points to really gain survivability, but even then the 50% to all armor is only applying to your base armors.  For me that means 1338 armor and 602 elemental resists, which isnt bad, except that every stack of blade dancing is giving me 627 armor and 393 elemental resist.  So even when I pop it to gain the survivability to get out, I would have sometimes been better to keep my stacks up staying in and leeching.  And if im just going to use it to reposition, I might as well keep it at 1 skill point to keep the mana cost down. 1, 10 or 15 points

Rites of the Sun - Pets dont work well in DF unless they are bringing utility.  I dont feel his utility warrants the points spent or the cast time. 0 points

Slashing Wounds- So at max rank this gives 16134/3 seconds.  It doesnt seem to stack on each hit, as the training dummy was only showing me ticks of 6200.  Static numbers always preform differently depending on gearing, and when Im hitting for 100k, it feels like more of a leveling skill.  0-1 point

Inner Focus - I think this skill really comes down to mana constraints.  At endgame with crazy attack speed, you blow through your procs so fast that you end up recasting them constantly, even with this skill.  Ive chosen to bypass it as my mana leech allows me to just recast the procs, and not invest 15 points in a skill that isnt increasing my damage, just giving me more freedom with mana. 0 points

Tree of Roots - At max rank it does 35% wpn dps and a 60% immobilize.  Since I am already using bramble wall that has a 100% immobilize and 20% increase in damage dealt, this seems redundant.  0 points

Tree of Life - I really want to use this tree, but at max rank it is only giving 1798 hp/sec and 4.7 mana per second.  Which is amazing if your gear isnt giving you over 30k health.  Another leveling talent. 0 points

Nature's Vengeance - Ive played with this quite often, and although I enjoy the damage and the range, it seems to unreliable.  If there are swarms of enemies I can see it being beneficial, but vs one boss it just doesnt pull its weight, 0-1 point

Giant Killer - This talent screams to be used with Old Growth, which means you will be investing more than 10-15 points if you want to use it properly.  The issue is that nature counters also buff up Natures blessing and Gift of Renewal.  So do you lower your survivability for an 11% chance on strike to do 200% wpn damage?  If the % weapon damage was much higher I could see the risk vs reward being an option.  As is I keep my 25 points and max survivablity.  0 points

Nature's Rage - Although this talent seems to be pet focused, never overlook 7% cast speed, 18% damage and 11% attack speed when you have optimum gearing.  0-15 points allocated.

Old Growth - With Bramble wall being our only spammable access to nature counters, makes it far less painful.  For some reason in my testing it was only giving me 3 counters at 15 points, rather than 5.  If you want to use giant killer, this skill is a must.  If you dont want to spam bramble wall constantly, it also helps. 1-15

Lightning Strike - Seeing as Combat rangers are almost entirely physical, our focus is generally low, so it wont do as much damage as a ranged ranger might.  That said, it can give a nice added dps boost.  However, with your procs going off like crazy, lightning strike is a massive mana hog, and you will be casting it every second if you want to keep the proc up.  I chose to forgo the added dps in order to conserve more mana for abilities that increase survivability. 0-15 points

Lightning Tree - at 1 point it gives 100% weapon dps, at 15 it gives 175% and fires faster.  Since I rarely use the other trees, ill often put 1 point here just to watch a stump blow thing up. 0-1 point

Rights of the Moon - Although I dont endorse pets endgame as thier damage is generally too low to make a difference, I like the utility that the ranged ranger brings.  His Thorn ability has knockback, his attacks proc gift of renewal.  And although im unsure what % damage increase his bombard gives, it is usually up on the boss.  I use in conjunction with Nature's rage, although the buffs dont seem to make a difference in his dps as he is there for utility. 5 points

Thunderstorm - Ive never been a fan of % on kill, as they offer very little on boss fights unless there is a lot of adds.  But as a one point, more AoE always helps.  0-1 point

Storm Warning - Without the ability to generate storm counters, this skill will never preform for a combat ranger like it will a ranged one.  I sometimes put 1 point in just for the run speed increase.  The knockback resistance is generally bypassed by closure and blade weaving allowing us to reposition.  1 point

I would love to hear what other Rangers have found in thier adventures.  Sometimes great talents are bypassed due to misunderstanding thier uses, and I would hate to be missing out.  Constructive Criticism welcome.

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2014, 09:21:31 PM »
Old growth is 'chance up to' won't always give max.

Bladeweaving is going to lose its immobilization buff, the regen at 15 points is pretty good when stacked with the rest of them, and I should really increase the damage bonus as your right, its only on the base armor.

Slashing wounds is going to gain a second stackable DOT, that will go hand in hand with the first AND the immobilization buff 6% per skill point invested, so 6 to 90% as a always on buff.

Breathingroom is most definitely a more ranged useful spell.. Blindness won't help melee, and knockback favors get away ranged.   but its also the only skill with shield breaking ability.

Inner Focus:  the reason why this skill can be considered is when you cast your procs you are SET to a set number.  This allows you to go ABOVE those numbers.  IE:  Thousand Strikes and Sweeping Strikes both have "give 5 counters" BUT their max are BOTH 10... you can't get above 5 with the actual skill unless you use something like Inner Focus or the Reactive weapon.

Rights of the Sun / Moon both have some hefty Damage output,  a lot more then you are use to.  They are 1 cast for half a minute. of 'damage' and damage soaking, enemies WILL attack them instead of you.

Tree of roots will taunt targets to it, which means you likely don't get hit by 100% of the monsters in the fight.  That is really where its strength comes in.

Tree of life is hit or miss for some people, it all depends.  The 2k life per second is on par to a second health pot running, add in Bladeweaving and your basically 2.5 to 3x health regen when potting... won't stop you from being 1 shot, but with gift of renewal and this together, your chances of dieing are extremely less.

your absolutely right on lightning strike, you can't generate more uses of it because you are not static shocking and you won't invest in storm warning(whichever one it is) so you will have to cast it over and over.  It IS another proc, that does run off of focus and not strength, that does good damage but in this build it is ultimately not as useful of a choice.

I am not sure on vengeance, it depends if you plan to use old growth and giant killer.  It is a nature stat battery basically AND does big range aoe's when proc'n.  If you don't plan to use old growth this can make up some of your lost nature points, and with old growth it will fuel your giant killer constantly.

Giant Killer:   This skill is one I need more feedback on.  It does awesome damage, but is it worth the drain.  I could consider upping the damage on it if the drain stays as it is now to be honest.

Lightning tree gains a lot with each skill point invested in it, cooldown of the spell, duration, damage... and it draws enemies.  Of course 1 point works fine, btw gift of renewal procs on it as well...

rights of the moon bombard gives you the full bombard at 15 skill points, just like the rights of the sun does the full breathing room, maybe I should change him to do closure instead ;)

with thunderstorm I would generally agree with you on 'on kill' issues.  But when this thing procs it just keeps going and going.. Its a rather spectacular proc if you really notice what it does.

Storm warning, most definitely its created to be a ranged buff that a combat ranger would really need to sacrifice skills to make it useful.

People motivate themselves, and are inspired by others.
--- I love making FUN encounters, the ones that make you scream with terror, and remember them forever! ---
**more awesome then an awesome possum**

Evadebug

« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2014, 11:20:06 PM »
Oh no, so many improvements, not enough skill points, the choices are going to kill me!   
I think a lot of the skills I downplayed are still amazing in thier own right, I didnt mean to come across like those were subpar choices.  Some are just much more suited for a ranged ranger, and some are more dps focused, which I currently dont have the luxury to be if Im setting foot in tier 2 (perhaps later in artifact gear Ill be able to go more dps focused).  That is why the dps on Right of the Sun/Moon or Lightning Tree is less of an issue at this current time, as dead rangers do no dps, so im looking at utility from the skills that dont directly offer survivability (although I have noticed RotMoon kiting adds nicely).  The possibility of Rights of the Sun recieving Closure intrigues me, as it could be a huge boost to survivability depending on how the debuffs between his and mine stacked.  And I had completely forgotten that trees were considered allies, so I will definitely have one to proc Gift of Renewal.  I really enjoy the giant killer concept, especially if it is a sacrifice to survivability for a large increase in damage.  The issue I see currently is that 4 natures charges arent worth 200% wpn damage when you look at thier benefits to Natures Blessing and Gift of Renewal.  And with the random nature of the proc, you could lose half of your counters instantly, putting yourself in grave danger while only doing marginal damage to an elite boss.

Im also really curious to see what an artifact aftermath axe will look like.  I cant see myself currently going full reactive aftermath, because the residual aftermath axe offers % life steal, which is a huge asset in staying alive.  Add to that the small fire damage for the burn debuff, and a proc for added damage, and I havent been able to convince myself to use the reactive axe, even with the 12 piece bonus.  But like I said, at this point Im survival focused, and im sure the artifact gear will be amazing.

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2014, 11:23:24 PM »
oh you are absolutely right.  in your build and style, your write up was probably exactly what it needed it to be.  I just wanted to point out why some of them may be options for your last 30 points.
--- I love making FUN encounters, the ones that make you scream with terror, and remember them forever! ---

Evadebug

« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2014, 06:20:17 PM »
For some reason nature's vengeance is not giving nature counters.  I had respecced to follow up on one of your suggestions, as I usually use Bramble Wall as my nature counter generating spell.  No matter how many times I cast natures vengance, even with Old Growth, no counters.  I am still on v1141 so it may have already been resolved (I live out of town in Northern BC, and tend to limit my downloading patches to when Im in town).

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2014, 07:31:04 PM »
Ahh the great white north.  Im in the lower mainland myself.

I haven't touched that spell in a bit.  Doesn't it say that it starts generating at a specific tier

Evadebug

« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2014, 08:37:39 PM »
The spell description says that it gives a nature counter on cast. So I tested nature's vengeance from having 1 point in it all the way up to 15.    It is currently not giving any nature counters.  This is with patch 1154.  So for now ill stick with bramble wall as my nature counter builder.

Fawzy

« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2014, 11:24:00 PM »
nature's vengeance generates a counter when it procs the aoe not when casting the initial buff, had it happen on my ranger last night with only 1 point in the skill

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2014, 01:28:12 AM »
ya my testing works to generate as well.  Anytime it procs it goes up.  The more chances of procing the more it works.

every single proc gives it 100% chance to add a stat, and old growth works on it too.

Whizzy

« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2015, 10:30:01 AM »
Breathingroom is most definitely a more ranged useful spell.. Blindness won't help melee, and knockback favors get away ranged.   but its also the only skill with shield breaking ability.

I've hit 100 yesterday on my Ranger and I've been playing a ranged one though.

I guess that "Breathingroom" isn't a bad skill at all (though I dont know / didn't tested yet if it works with "Gift of Renewal" and all DOTs and procs) but there is one main thing I don't like about this skill. The animation might be a little bit too long making you dealing less overall DPS. Since I consider it as a skill in terms of CC only (not mainly used for the DMG) it might be way better & stronger, if the overall DMG would be decreased and therefore the animation would be shorten a bit. You could also add a cooldown so you can't perma-CC any mobs. It's more like an "Oh-Shit-I-Get-Away-Button" which would be a more viable option concerning survival and utility. Like that you would be better off chaining "Clossure" > "Breathingroom" > Ranged attack for more overall CC.

ATM you have the problem that in most cases you dont wanna jump in as ranged Ranger, so in conjunction of using "Clossure" you use it most of the time as an escape mechanism, since it doesn't make sense to jump in using "Breathingroom" and getting oneshotted during the cast animation. If adding a cooldown and lowering overall DMG there might be considred to higher the blind/flee chances.

bombastinator

« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2015, 11:31:48 AM »
my problem has been simply starting a ranger.  Maybe im doing it wrong, but they're not just slightly squishy, they're VERY squishy.  To the point I find myself having to use half my gold on heal potions.  Is this the way it is supposed to be? 

Finding build guides for any of the classes at low level is very difficult on this site.  Does anyone know where I should be looking?