Author Topic: Possible flat damage skill scalability solution  (Read 786 times)

PhoenixWing

Possible flat damage skill scalability solution
« on: September 21, 2014, 11:08:26 AM »
(I am sorry if this solution has already been discussed, I cannot find them in this forum)

Currently I think there are some problems with flat damage skills not scaling well with T1, possibly worse when more tiers are introduced.

The original idea of flat damage skills is that to

1. Force (allow?) flat damage skill users to focus on stats other than DPS such as focus, cast speed, crit chance, crit damage to boost the damage.
2. Make wands and staff best (or good enough) weapon for mages, as there are usually more cast speed or caster-related bonuses on wands/staffs more than other weapons.

Therefore, to still keep the original idea of the skills, while make them scale with equipment tiers, I think one possible approach might be to make the skill damage scales with weapon level.
This will still force mages to find focus / cast speed / crit / etc. attributes on the weapons but also let the damage scales with upcoming weapon tiers.

For example, flat damage skill damage can be changed to A*B, where A is the usual amount that scales with level, and B is the about that scales with ilvl of the weapons.
The value B for weapons of ilvl 100 and below can be set to 1.0 (no change from the original), and as it might be hard to think of a formula to calculate this scale B automatically for ilvl > 100, it could be manually set for each distinct ilvl values (I think there are not much distinct values of ilvl > 100 weapon right?).

In this way, the damage could be easily made scaled with T0 T1 and any upcoming tiers. (For example, the value B for T1 weapons could be set to 1.5 or so, as dps-based skills usually gain around that much from weapon dps).

I am not sure if this is easy or hard to do by the torchlight mod system though.

alteisen

Re: Possible flat damage skill scalability solution
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 06:01:35 PM »
Not a bad idea. I think the easiest thing to do is add weapon DPS calculation in every skill or increase them if already exist. I remember Engineer Emberquake has flat damage and weapon DPS damage. While for wand/staff, maybe put some increase weapon damage in staff mastery and wand chaos. But really Embermage need buff on damage first. Everything beside that is secondary.

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 12:00:57 AM »
mm I haven't tried to use a weapon ilevel as a modifier, I wonder if you can.

its really not much different then using weapon damage % in that case thou, as the higher the ilevel the more damage the weapon is...
People motivate themselves, and are inspired by others.
--- I love making FUN encounters, the ones that make you scream with terror, and remember them forever! ---
**more awesome then an awesome possum**

PhoenixWing

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 08:01:59 AM »
mm I haven't tried to use a weapon ilevel as a modifier, I wonder if you can.

its really not much different then using weapon damage % in that case thou, as the higher the ilevel the more damage the weapon is...

Yes but instead of focusing on weapon dps, mages have to wear wands/staff with a lot of +focus and castspeed. That's probably the same as the old system, just a bit different that you have to wear high lvl wands/staffs.