Author Topic: Endgame Combat Ranger Guide  (Read 17834 times)

Evadebug

Endgame Combat Ranger Guide
« on: September 30, 2014, 12:46:22 PM »
Disclaimer - In order to venture into endgame with a combat ranger, you need optimum gearing to be viable.  Whereas other classes can maintain range and kite, we are forced to engage in melee with enemies that hit like trucks.  If you are not at max damage reduction and dodge, high missle reflect and as much HP as you can muster, you will die often and gruesomely.  I would even go so far as to suggest farming up tier 1 with a ranged character, enchanting/gemming it, and then starting endgame with your ranger.

Core Skills
15 Thousand Cuts
15 Sweeping Strikes
15 Closure
15 Blade Dancing
15 Slashing Wounds
15 Nature's Blessing
15 Gift of Renewal
1 or 15 Bramble Wall
10 or 15 Bladeweaving

These are the skills I always take.  Bramble Wall is our only reliable nature counter builder, I generally take 15 in it for the 20% damage increase, but if you have mana constraints, 1 point will still get you the necessary counters.  Blade weaving is our escape spell, although you must be careful to stop auto-attacking before using it as it does not function like berzerkers shadow burst (and pass through enemies).  Often I have attempted to disengage from a boss, only to bladeweave INTO him, not knock him back, but stay in place as he continued to hit me.  I tend to take 10 points for the bonus armor and lower mana cost, but 15 points grants some helpful regen while disengaging and a more spammable repositioning option.  And although Slashing Wounds isn't the largest dps increase, the immobilization resistance is huge and will save you from being frozen while enemies attack your flanks.

Depending on how many points you put in Bramble Wall and Bladeweaving will depend how many points you have left over (34 to 15 points).  I usually put 15 points into Precision for added damage, and 5 points in Rites of the Moon for an ally that distracts enemies, has knockback from thorns, casts bombardment to increase DPS and heals with Gift of Renewal.  However I urge people to find what fits with thier playstyle.  Just be wary of having to many skills with cast times, as being stuck in casting animation instead of autoattacking can kill you.

Gearing
Ideally, your gearing should focus on just one thing, survival.  Since we cannot equip a shield, and our skills restrict us to dual wield with a sword in our offhand, we are best suited in gear with parry.  Once again I suggest to accumulate a set of residual/reactive aftermath from DF with a ranged character.  Reactive is preferable, but requires a character than can do challenge chests.  Once you have your set of gear, I would enchant it first with damage reduction to hit the 75% max in DF (taking into account the extra 15% DR that Nature's Blessing gives when fully charged).  The rest of the enchants I would use for Health, to get it around the 30k range in DF.  As for gemming, your first concern is Missle Reflection from Solider's Folly gems.  I would suggest 3, to bring your missle reflect in DF to around 80%.  Calypso's Curse gems will increase you dodge, so attempt to get it near 75% in DF.  The rest of the gem slots are up to you, I went primarily with str gems to increase damage and hit 500% crit damage.  Be aware that we burn through mana extremely fast, so a reactive aftermath amulet with high mana on hit is important. (or the 10 piece residual bonus)

For weapons, I highly suggest the Residual Aftermath Axe with the Reactive Aftermath Sword.  The 2-4% life steal on the residual axe offers huge benefits for leeching.  For thier gems, I suggest Jaha's Last chance, as 450 life per hit is huge.

Gameplay
This you will have to figure out on your own, but there are a few tips I have learned.  As previously stated, make sure you stop auto-attacking before using bladeweaving if you actually want to disengage.  Always charge up your bramble counters before engaging, its a pain but the added HP and DR will save you.  You will end up spamming bramble wall and closure on every cooldown to maintain thier buffs, and since thier cooldowns are similar you can get into a nice rhythm.  Always precast spells that have a cast time before the fight if possible (eg. Rites of the Moon), because you gain no leech while in casting animation and this can kill you.  And realize that although this game is balanced around elite difficulty, as a solely melee class, you will die (lots).  I still get 1 shotted by missles I never see and I dont manage to reflect.  If my AoE dps from closure is not enough to kill adds, they build up and eventually I will die.  But its still an amazing class to play (once you are geared properly).

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
Re: Endgame Combat Ranger Guide
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 02:40:58 PM »
I need to put in a LIKE feature like facebook, great write up!
People motivate themselves, and are inspired by others.
--- I love making FUN encounters, the ones that make you scream with terror, and remember them forever! ---
**more awesome then an awesome possum**

Frazee

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 02:40:42 PM »
What about stat points?

Evadebug

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 05:24:59 PM »
Stat points are completely dependant on how you wish to balance your ranger, based on what bonuses your gear gives you.  Ive gone with enough str to hit 500% crit damage, and the rest in sta.  Dex didnt need to be increased, as I had reached max crit and dodge with gemming.  And Focus doesnt benefit combat rangers as it would other classes.  Because everyones gear setups will give them different numbers, you will have to play around to find the str/sta balance that works for you.

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 08:35:48 AM »
Its too bad that there is no reliable way to do stat changes yet.  Actually I think I can do a logic loop that protects character corruption
--- I love making FUN encounters, the ones that make you scream with terror, and remember them forever! ---

Blas

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 03:36:45 PM »
Hey Evadebug,

Very nice guide.

I was wondering if you thought about running 5 into thorns and 1 point in old growth and using a bow to get your counters up quickly then swapping to dual swords?  This way you don't have to worry about bramble wall.

Evadebug

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 10:10:37 PM »
The thing about endgame is every talent point matters, and I cant afford to spend 6 points for convienence when those points could increase survivability.  Although bramble wall without old growth is a pain to build up counters, Ive accepted that it is how my combat ranger operates and have gotten used to hitting bramble wall every 4 seconds.  My main issue with bramble wall is actually that if an enemy is too close to you when you are auto attacking, the bramble wall will appear behind them and not provide any of the debuff effects.  Although this may seem small, I have missed out on abe's challenge chest by 1 second and having that 20% extra damage may have been the difference.

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 01:32:23 AM »
talk about being robbed...

noxx707

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 04:41:00 AM »
Nice guide its nearly the same as mine :) the only Problems i get @ last Boss couse the you dont have that big aoe dmg that kills tentacles fast enough :D

Whizzy

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 08:23:54 AM »
HOLY MOLY! :D

I've been playing the ranged Ranger DOTs build and well....since I was wearing pistol and shield it wasn't this hard to survive....but I found out that I was playing him like a melee class since I wanted to get as many Thorns hits as possible. I asked myself why I wouldn't start playing a combat Ranger if I try to be in melee range anyways...and wow here I am.

My base stats are currently

And I'm farming DK for getting an complete faceless set to soulbound it twice. But HELL YEAH I getting my butt kicked trough DK all over the floor. :D It's hilarous and way more funny like the Thorns build. Enemies hurt so bad but I deal a LOT of dmg myself and I love the Lifeleech aspects of the build as well.

Your build is like top notch for the combat ranger. I tried to play with tree of life for more reg in combination with pots and lifeleech but overall 2 dash skills are too important.

Good work mate. I will keep up and look how far I come. If having problems in T1 I will switch to another class to farm T1 sets. :D

Varrocker93

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2016, 02:31:04 AM »
Thanks for the great Guide!