Author Topic: Mage adjustments minimod  (Read 3784 times)

Malabala

Mage adjustments minimod
« on: October 16, 2014, 01:44:25 PM »
 Hi, I made a small mod that goes on top of synergies and further adjusts the mage class. To try it download the attached zip file (which contains the mod source and mod file), place the mod file in the mod folder, and when starting the game, add SynMage.mod to the mod list and in mod order window put it above synergies. If it turns out changes are liked feel free to integrate in synergies. It is based on synergies 1177, as downloaded 3 days ago.

changes:
- magma spear, icy blast, prismatic bolt: they now all use mana per second similar to how magma spear does in vanilla but with a slightly higher mana cost. This is a big and very fun change for leveling up.
- fire bomb: removed cooldown
- infernal collapse: removed cooldown and knockback
- immolation aura: buff lasts 60 minutes and damage aura is now 5 meters in radius, must recast on zone change / game load / skill level up, otherwise it might not be active even if the buff is visible
- firestorm, icestorm, thunderstorm: removed cooldown, generate some charge
- elemental attunement: aura range is now 10 meters in radius, but note that inactive monsters (and inactive target dummy) never get hit by it, it still works really weird when running through a crowd, but it's a bit better now
- astral ally: summon lasts 60 minutes, but i messed up trying to make the tier bonus summon a second third and fourth ally, so for now leveling up that skill does almost nothing
- thunder sentry: buff lasts 60 minutes, also corrected a small bug in level 12 i think, also stun chances start before what is indicated in description but i didnt change that since it's fun

These changes are mostly to increase fun, to reduce buff/summon tedium, to make storms viable, and to make infernal collapse good early. Fire bombs are still complete junk though. Class still isnt strong but it's significantly more fun to play.

I might make more changes when I play again, will see. I'd like to find a way to make level 1 prismatic bolts less amazing, and for prismatic bolt to stop suiciding me by shooting offscreen barbed monsters. Maybe put weapon damage on more skills, the scaling of the skills is just so weird and often underwhelming, I'd like improving weapons to serve a meaningful purpose. I'd also like to do something to arc beam too since it was so cool when I increased its range but it might be unrecoverable since it can't deal at all with terrain height changes.

Anyway, let me know what you think, and thanks to the synergies mod team, it's nice coming back to this game after so long and it being better then ever!

Malabala

Re: Mage adjustments minimod
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 09:21:41 AM »
Small update:
- astral ally: increased number of summons (up to 4) at higher tiers
- death's bounty: removed cooldown slow and stun, increased duration and range

Malabala

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 06:51:22 PM »
Update:
- arcbeam range increased to 15/18/21/24 and procs weapon effects. It's still not super great but at least it's very fun and usable while leveling.
- Wand/Staff passives description modified to indicate they apply to all weapon scaling skills. They also work with any weapons and so were renamed, but their numbers are 1-14% and 20% for ranks 1-14 and 15.
- Brands now have a minimum damage of 1 instead of such a high minimum damage.
- Prismatic bolt changed to shoot 3 homing bolts instead of 5, has 5% weapon scaling as electric damage and applies weapon effects, has 8-50% chance to apply status effects for 3 seconds, and tier bonus are +50/100/150% magical damage.
- Blazing Pillar, Infernal Collapse, Ice Wave: now have 5% weapon scaling added and apply weapon effects

Overall prismatic bolt feels much better balanced now since it can't almost solo carry a veteran difficulty player to level 100 with prismatic and all 3 brands at level 1. The tier bonuses mean that even with fewer missiles and lower brand damage the level 15 bolt+brands damage is only slightly lower then before, but is slightly higher with the changes to the old wand/staff masteries. Also instead of dying to barbed monsters in ~2-4 casts it usually takes at least 5 so plenty of time to react and should be no more deaths to offscreen barbed.

Blazing Pillar, Infernal Collapse and Ice Wave getting weapon effects is because its fun and to make up for the loss of damage from brands.

I'm hoping the changes to old wand/staff passives will make up for loss of brand damage but am a bit worried about endgame damage which felt a little low in the past when i had a couple max level characters to compare. I don't have max level chars anymore since I only reinstalled last week so cant check endgame.

The storms are now really fun to use and at higher levels give a lot of charge but i dont really wanna lower it otherwise they give no charge at all at lower levels. They still give less charge then pillar or collapse so it's probably fine. I think now icestorm is end game material but not the 2 others, firestorm because its a debuff instead of direct damage and thunderstorm because its centered on caster, it's just way too dangerous to get the most out of it. Also icestorm has a stun!!!

Overall I'm pretty happy since playing mage is now significantly more fun, less annoying, has more valid builds, and most of the skills are now effective and fun from low to high level (not sure about endgame though).

Comments?

alteisen

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 08:34:10 PM »
Great job for adding weapon damage on some skills. :)

I haven't tried, but the main problem is, if you read the other thread, embermage is WEAK (the weakest maybe?) in tier raids. Leveling until lvl 100 is just fine I think. You should use raids so you'll know what do you think you will improve. And, this is clearly only me will say this, that staff mastery and wand chaos mixing is making me sad. :(

Malabala

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 09:18:09 PM »
 For leveling it was fine, but some skills really sucked like arcbeam and now are actually fun, wait until you've played with a 20m arcbeam! Similarly infernal collapse which is fine at level 15 but was really not fine at level 1. The experience is now more even at all levels, with many more builds that can be enjoyed!

For raid testing, I used to have max level characters but deleted them when I stopped playing a while ago, so for now I'm not quite yet ready to test raid content. Anyway the purpose of this mod isnt really to make the mage more powerful to catch up to the stronger classes but to make it more enjoyable and a more even experience at all levels, so far from my testing it accomplishes it, I've used all the skills mentioned in this thread to level up in some zones and had fun with all of them!

As for wand/staff masteries, something had to be done since neither of them should ever be used in most builds. And with so many good skills now you'll see it's not so easy to choose where to put them!

Anyway, thanks for the comments!

alteisen

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 10:09:33 PM »
Well, I guess I'll try it now. I guess I'll have to accept the fact wand/staff currently not best weapon for embermage. And I never use arcbeam though. I mainly use shockbolts. :p

I'm still level 70. For raid testing, let's wait for someone else do it.

Malabala

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 01:06:22 PM »
 The truth is that the real power skills of the mage are infernal collapse and ice wave, every other damage skill is inferior. Now with the changes in this mod rather then infernal collapse only being amazing at max level it is great from the start. Ice waves still needs to level up before it becomes amazing though. It also makes all the other modified damage skills about equals as second bests instead of a gradient from second best to second worst.

If you're only interested in maximal effectiveness go for maxxed infernal collapse, ice wave, thunder locus, ice prison and then add in support skills (chaos mastery isnt very good only use if you have extra points and depending on skill you only need 5-10 points in magic mastery). However for great but not maximal effectiveness you can now go for builds like ice blast+shockbolts+icestorm+astral ally or prismatic bolt+arcbeam+thunderstorm+thunder sentry or magma spear+firestorm+fire pillars or or or.

Or at least I hope :D

Malabala

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 12:19:50 PM »
Tiny cosmetic update:
- icewave sound changed to a far less annoying sound
- removed screen shake from infernal collapse and hailstorm

Malabala

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 10:46:04 AM »
Update:
- magma spear, icy blast, prismatic bolt, arcbeam, shocking bolts: mana costs now all per second, slightly higher then vanilla game magma spear
- arcbeam damage doubled

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 11:22:39 AM »
how are you finding the changes in game play?
People motivate themselves, and are inspired by others.
--- I love making FUN encounters, the ones that make you scream with terror, and remember them forever! ---
**more awesome then an awesome possum**

Malabala

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 08:28:44 PM »
 I've played legit up to level ~50 through the normal game quests and it's so much more fun, I love playing with every skill I changed. Sadly even through all the changes arcbeam is still not good at all, too low damage for single target and too narrow beam for group damage. At least it's really really fun now from level 1 to level 15.

When I made cheated test guys at higher levels it seemed about the same, similar power but much less annoyance from the increased durations on buffs and death bounty, less annoying sound on ice wave, less useless screenshake. Also the changes to astral ally made a bigger difference then i expected, when my legit guy gets to level 100 i'll definitely try it in the new synergy places, I'm enjoying it a lot.

Overall I think I met my goals of making embermage more fun and less annoying to play at all experience levels without having significant changes on actual power levels. I'd rather more experienced players/moders tackle those issues since I don't feel qualified enough to do it properly.

Try it a bit if you have some time, and if you like, feel free to integrate what you like in synergies. I'd be honored if my tiny contribution could make this amazing mod even a tiny little bit better.

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 04:28:40 PM »
I was thinking of taking a look to see what insight I could get for potential changes.   

Keep saying I want to but its never top priority.
--- I love making FUN encounters, the ones that make you scream with terror, and remember them forever! ---

Malabala

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2014, 04:24:24 PM »
 New arcbeam update, I think I finally got it right!

- arcbeam: removed weapon effects from secondary beams, lowered damage, main/secondary beam give 40%/20% charge, damage type set to electric, every enemy hit by main beam now produces (1/2/3/4) secondary beams, turn rate increased

Arcbeam is both really fun and effective now, if you download this mod you should try it out, it makes quite a mess out of clumps of enemies!

Also I tested the modified prismatic bolts vs a hero barbed monster and it's still a big problem but it isn't suicide like it used to be. As it should be!

edit: anyone know why the new magic mastery (old staff mastery) icon sometimes appears for half a moment on my player's buff bar?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 01:25:11 AM by Malabala »

Malabala

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2014, 03:27:22 AM »
Update:

- Elemental Boon replaced by Wind's Agility: gives +%dodge, and tiers give resistance to slow/immobilize/stun, lasts 1hour. At level 15, the buff gives 15% dodge, 60% slow and immobilize resist, 30% stun resist.

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2014, 01:14:34 PM »
why make the buffs last so long?  After developing three and a half characters I have come to realize how important the small buff durations are for the game and character involvement.

if you are going to make it an hour why not just make it a passive?  You could do a 2 minute buff at the high end and people would still have to pay attention to it, or make it an active part of the skill cycle with a shorter duration.

up to you, just asking.