Author Topic: Feedback about the paladins  (Read 1725 times)

Arkblue

Feedback about the paladins
« on: October 31, 2014, 12:11:30 PM »
First thing first, a big thank you to Salan for all the past and future work regarding the paladin, which is a class I'm rather attached too from some of my previous games :D

I wanted to say that I really like the paladin so far, even if I yet have to play him lategame (only levelled one to 20, then started from scratch when Salan took over and remade the trees.
Anyway, here is my list of suggestions :D

Aesthetics
[/b][/size]
Charge Bar= First of all, would it be possible to rename it to something like "Faith/Conviction/etc"?
Something more akin to the paladin theme, in short, altough I don't know if it has some implications with other items and how they work.
Second, would it be possible to make it so that the "fill in" starts from center and is full when both sides reach the center?
It would help in making the charge look like a pair of wing spreading. ^^

Abilities
[/b][/size]
I really like the new skill trees and how they work, but there a couple of things that I don't really find spot-on with the paladin, as a class.
I always saw the paladin as the holy-magic infused knight , that lacked the brutal strength of the warrior, or the other heavy melee class, but was more versatile.
1) No shield skills-steroids.
I can't really explain this, but I just think that paladins should always have something related to shields to tie to their defender/protector theme.
2)Death Sentence (Justice three)
This passive increases the execute chance...which would be nice for some off-builds, but dual wieldings is not something that I strictly relate to paladins, so it's a little out of place, like a crossbow-cannon skill, or a 2hander skill on a Outlander.
3) Aura of Radiance(divinity tree).
While I like the ability itself, and how it fits in the Divinity tree, I just don't like the fact that is an active skill in the passive skill-slot.
I wouldn't mind if it was a proc when being hit, or something of the like, as Divinity would be the most fitting tree for a defensive skill (perhaps something shield related, to solve the point 1?)
4) Personal idea.
Currently, TL2 lacks a "Cleric" class, and afaik there are none scheduled.
Because of that, you could make the divinity tree scale even better with Focus and magic damage, differentiating it further from the Justice tree, and perhaps making, I don't know, a way to make Divinity a one-hander-oriented tree ?
Perhaps with a wand, as the paladin is a sort of magic knight, and it would also work well with Lightsworn. sure, it's just an idea for a wonky build, but it makes more sense (IMHO) than a dual wielding build with death sentence, at least theme-wise. Magic knights in dragon dogma (which, coincidentally, are called paladins in the italian translation) were able to use both melee weapons and staves. Some spells could, for example, work with both melee weapons and wands/staves (the one who conjures holy weapons like Abolition/Hammer of Reckoning).
In Tl2 , however, I think they could have some place as a Wand+Shield build. Dual wielding wand would steal the spot of the embermage, while wand and shield would be original and close enough to the paladin theme.

Anyway, just my 2 cents, and, since I still didn't play the end game content, don't consider it as a balance-related opinion, just a theme opinion, let me know what you think about it.

okami29

Re: Feedback about the paladins
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 05:55:30 AM »
Weel to me I really like the Aura of radiance doing damage to all monster around you.It is not the same as the berserker passive and that is just fine with me.

Doomzdave

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 11:55:40 AM »
I agree with the whole lack of shields thing plus dual wield. Paladins are mostly shield or two handed weapon, the execute passive doesn't make much sense for them at all.

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 11:48:17 AM »
ill see if i can put some time into the paladin rework today, day off.
People motivate themselves, and are inspired by others.
--- I love making FUN encounters, the ones that make you scream with terror, and remember them forever! ---
**more awesome then an awesome possum**