Author Topic: Electro-Thorns Ranger (Levelling build, in progress)  (Read 10720 times)

Myrkabah

Electro-Thorns Ranger (Levelling build, in progress)
« on: November 27, 2014, 11:07:13 PM »
Hi all! I recently started playing Synergies again and was pleased to note the addition of a Ranger class. Eager to explore the ranged aspect of it, I dove in and did some testing. I'm at about level 70 now, so this guide will evolve as I continue to level up. So far it's performing admirably well.

Build Concept: Turn Thorns into a delivery system for grievous, grievous damage while maintaining high survivability.

Main damage types: Physical, Electric

Stats:
+100 Points Strength
+100 Points Dexterity
+300 points Focus

Skills:

Thorns 15/15

Our main damage dealer. Thorns is exceptional because it is a % weapon DPS skill that fires multiple projectiles, which allows it to deliver DOTs and bonus damage multiple times. This is key for our offensive toolkit.

Electrocute 15/15

Our buff of choice for buffing Thorns. This adds a nice amount of bonus electrical damage to our Thorns spell, turning it into a hybrid of a %weapon DPS skill and a flat damage Focus skill. This skill provides a very noticeable amount of added damage with good Focus, crit, and storm counters.

Slashing Wounds 15/15

Adds a nice DOT to our Thorns attack, and immobilization resistance is nice for a ranged class.

Closure 15/15

Our utility skill. This provides a way to close, and in spite of its name, also a very important escape. It also bunches enemies together for a follow-up Thorns application, debuffs their damage, *AND* heals you. Very, very nice.

Storm Warning 1/15

This provides a nice bit of movement speed when we have a lot of storm counters. Further points just increase the flat speed gain, and not the scaling, so we just need the one point.

Storm Front 15/15

Provides lots and lots of Storm and Electrocute counters for us to burn.

Lightning Tree 15/15

Really useful for kiting enemies around. It uses weapon DPS, so it will apply bleeds.

15/15 Nature's Blessing

Health and damage resistance.

1/15 Old Growth

More nature counters.

ThunderStorm 15/15

Generates a nice burst of electric damage that deals weapon DPS, and therefore helps spread bleeds.

Weapons:

You'll want to use a bow, crossbow, hand crossbow or pistol with as much damage, conveys damage, and conveys effects as you can get, and socket it with "Conveys X Damage over Y Seconds." Enchant it at the Electric enchanter for "Conveys X Electric Damage over Y Seconds" to boot. With good gems and enchants, you can deliver over 10,000 damage per thorn as DOT damage, on top of your usual damage.

Try to get as much elemental damage for your weapon as you can, especially lightning damage. It scales way better than physical damage for this build.

This build scales well with attack speed, lightning damage, crit chance and crit damage. Although your dots don't crit, your thorns, electrocute, thunderstorm bursts and lightning tree can. Use it to full advantage.

Keep in mind, however: this build does NOT scale whatsoever with cast speed, as Thorns is a channeled spell.

Spells:

Marksmanship
Dervish
Adventurer
Concentration/Barter/Elemental Overload
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 10:48:31 PM by Myrkabah »

Myrkabah

Re: Electro-Thorns Ranger (Levelling build, in progress)
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 11:09:20 PM »
:reserved:

Aphe81

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 09:21:09 PM »
Nice build i will definitely check it out. I tried out the ranger myself a bit but i found it pretty awkward how he jumps from almost no damage in the early levels to almost op damage after you get electrocute. Furthermore i disliked the counter mechanics in the early game since you constantly have to recast lightningstrike and stormsurge for little to no damage increase. How did you overcome those first levels? I noticed that you didn't include lightningstrike in this build. Is there a reason for that because i found it to be some serious damageboost especially against bosses?
I also heard that some skills didn't work with pistols. Has this been fixed yet? And since you focus on focus^^ would you prefer pistols over xbow/bow for the execution chance?

Thanks for your time.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 09:23:56 PM by Aphe81 »

Myrkabah

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 10:34:47 PM »
@Aphe81:

I tried using lightning strike and stormsurge, but the constant recasting presented two main problems. First, it was annoying as hell. Second, it was vastly reducing my *effective* DPS since I was constantly recasting it instead of casting more Thorns. So I reprioritized to passive damage increases instead, especially skulls or gems that grant DOTs to your attacks. These will shred through lower level enemies, and if you have access to higher level gems though your shared stash, you can build stats toward getting a weapon from Table Mountain ASAP to breeze through the mid-game. In the very early game, basically just keep your Thorns at level 1, use a shield, and rely on DOTs to provide most of your killing power.

I didn't use lightning strike because I wanted to specifically avoid having to cast buffs in combat - just augmenting Thorns and laying them on as thick as possible turned out to be higher effective DPS.

Execute chance does effectively nothing for this character since it rarely (if ever) auto-attacks with enough mana regen available. Thorns can't execute since (as a skill) it always uses just main-hand DPS. I just used a pistol and a shield for the extra defense. If one really wanted to dual wield, I would dual wield a Pistol in my main hand and a Wand with lots of status effects in my off hand, and gem both up with lots of DOTs. I tried this, however, and just felt too squishy for it to be worth it. YMMV.

"I also heard that some skills didn't work with pistols. Has this been fixed yet?"

I didn't run into any problems with this, but it's still true of Lightning Arrow if I remember correctly (which seems like it could be intentional). I avoided the skills with weapon restrictions to keep more gear available.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 10:50:13 PM by Myrkabah »

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 07:57:40 PM »
I changed a few to work with pistols I believe, although some skills run DPS and some run weapon damage so they lean to pistols or big two handers inherently.

The in combat buffs were part of the design decision.  To keep the player interacting with the class instead of just pressing the buffs once then holding down 1 button over and over.  I did increase the durations a bit, and may or may not increase durations again as feedback and my own testing determines.
People motivate themselves, and are inspired by others.
--- I love making FUN encounters, the ones that make you scream with terror, and remember them forever! ---
**more awesome then an awesome possum**

mhunterhoss

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 12:51:34 AM »
Hello everyone.  Now, I'm relatively new to Synergies, I think I installed it less than a week ago.  I tried out the Paladin and enjoyed it, but then I found this build, and decided to start a Ranger on Elite mode.  Now given that I'm pretty new to synergies, there are many things I don't understand, particularly how exactly charge works on the Ranger.

However, this build has helped me get an idea of which skills are helpful to have.  Thorns is certainly a good skill, and with all the buff, it gets pretty crazy.  I had a bit of trouble at the very beginning, getting used to the new difficulty with very few skill points, but it recently got easier.  Specifically, once I hit level 13.  When that happened, I unlocked the first level of Electrocute, and it is amazing(ly powerful)!

I recorded my fight against General Grell on Elite mode, and he just dropped so fast!
Watch for yourself here: http://youtu.be/q43Xh0vjqIg

Now, I wasn't really impressed with the Lightning Tree when I first used it, does it get much better once you put more points in it?

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 01:00:08 AM »
lightning tree does damage based on your damage potential.  Its a pet that uses masters dps as stats.  So its completely relative to your own gear.

I wonder if I made electrocute too powerful when I added the shock component to it.  Previously it was only exploding and not adding shock..
--- I love making FUN encounters, the ones that make you scream with terror, and remember them forever! ---

mhunterhoss

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 02:47:17 AM »
Well, the shock component of electrocute makes a lot of sense with the theme of the skill, but it does seem quite powerful, combined with the other buffing skills.

Now, I was a bit curious about the Ranger's skills and their descriptions.  I didn't quite understand the descriptions at first, but I think I'm getting the idea now.
For example, the Ranger's Electrocute skill has this description:

30% chance to cast Electrocute Generator on strike for 1 minute
1% chance to cast Electrocute on strike for 1 minute
100% chance to cast Shock on strike for 1 minute
+50 Electric Damage - (improves with player level)

So, my guess is that the Electrocute Generator skill is what triggers the "counters," is that correct? But I'm not sure about the other details.

Actually, if there is a faq/explanation for the Ranger/its skills, I should look around for something like that.  If there is, just let me know.

Thanks again!

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 04:14:26 AM »
Generator creates counters
electrocute on strike consumes counters and does the big bag
shock hits the target every hit
damage displayed is the shock amount I believe.

mhunterhoss

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 09:22:42 AM »
Alrighty, thanks for explaining!

Allmyfaut

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2014, 04:18:52 PM »
Long time lurker here popping in for once to say dear god this build has some insane damage output... I'm not even using t.05 gear just a plain old adamant/witchhunter set and it melts darknessfalls... Just a quick tip if you can get your hands on the dark harvest reward variant which gives x% all damage and +xxx damage to all elements you'll wreck face.

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2014, 03:22:07 PM »
I'll likely have to adjust the shock portion of electrocute

Ansatsu

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2014, 11:48:39 AM »
rather have it be slightly on the OP side than on the UP side.  You still gotta build around it after all and that coming from a guy that doesn't even play ranger ^^
If it's really super overpowered then it might need a tweak though but as long as it's not silly I'd leave it the same.

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2014, 06:46:07 PM »
the design of the skill didn't include the shock portion it was added after, hasn't been adjusted since being made.  Most skills go through an adjustment after enough feedback on how they work is in.

Ansatsu

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2014, 10:41:46 PM »
true, that makes perfect sense since things aren't balanced right at the start or you'd need some serious superhumans+luck  :P