Author Topic: Din's curse. An awesome hack'n'slash !  (Read 968 times)

potterman28wxcv

Din's curse. An awesome hack'n'slash !
« on: December 19, 2014, 08:59:19 AM »
So I started playing Din's Curse really recently. That's a very good hack'n'slash, with dungeons generated completely randomly (Diablo 1 style). Even the quests are random  :D

Your aim in each new game is to save the town. So you spawn in some random town, and monsters prepare to assault the town. The longer you wait, the more chance you have that your town gets attacked. When it does, if quest givers are killed.. Well you must complete quests to recruit new quest givers. And if the 3 main quest givers are killed during the assault, you have lost : the town is lost, and you have to move to something else.

Of course, your character isn't lost when you've lost the town ; you just search then for another town to save.. But if you complete all the quests before the town gets assaulted and killed, then you've won and saved the town, and you have some nice treasure chest as a reward :D

The aim of the game is to gain reputation. When you save a town, you gain reputation ; when the town is lost, you lose some. While you're buying items, some monsters can set some trap for you.. Or while you are in the dungeon, the town can be raided, forcing you to come back to rescue it.

In some floors, I've found some of the monsters fighting each other, as if there was some kind of clan war between them. And these monsters can for example explode this barrel on purpose to hurt you, or things like that.

That's for the environment ; for the character creation, it's highly customizable. You can have hybrids (2 tabs of one class + 1 tab of another class. For example in Torchlight 2 you could get the Summoning tab of the engineer with the Fire and Ice tabs of the embermage. It's possible with mods of course, but here it's implemented within the game), you can set some modifiers to your character (cursed : you can only wear cursed items ; Prima Dona : you can only use items that are parts of set, elite or legendary ; Lost : you have no minimap), and there's even a randomizer if you don't know what to choose.

About the dynamics of the game, it's really close to Titan Quest or Path of Exile in the sense that it's either move or attack, and cast animations are slow. So there isn't the "action" part of Torchlight 2 (ie you can't really avoid missiles by teleporting the millisecond before it strikes you). Another con (or pro, depending on the computer) is that graphics are really ugly (the game is less than 200 MB size). But otherwise, that's a really nice hack'n'slash highly customizable and i think replayable as you wish.

Oh, and the most important : It's ugly, but it runs without doing any lag to my PC !

potterman28wxcv

Re: Din's curse. An awesome hack'n'slash !
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 06:51:51 PM »
OK, now here's the "after 20 hours of game" post :P

The game isn't dynamic, and that's really a poor point for me. Everything is either slow or instant. And there is some weird balance problems.. Especially for summons, who don't stand a chance at all against the other monsters, and their AI is so dumb that they barely help you to kill the monsters. So it's either mage or warrior.

I still like the questing system though.. It's really something good to evolve in a world that changes with what you do. It's just the combat system that keeps me from playing it. A D2 or TL2 combat style combined with such quest system and it would be a bomb.

Anyway.. Torchlight 2 Synergies still the best hack'n'slash for me.