Author Topic: Melee Warlock | Fire Shield vs. Nether Shield  (Read 4358 times)

neondrop

Melee Warlock | Fire Shield vs. Nether Shield
« on: January 10, 2015, 12:23:05 AM »
Hey Guys,

I just started out with Torchlight 2 and with Synergies, and I want to make my first class a Warlock. While planning out a build I had some questions regarding Fire Shield and Nether Shield.

1. Can they both be active at the same time?

2. Which do you consider overall better for a melee focused build? The damage reduction and utility of Nether Shield seems pretty strong to me compared to no damage reduction from Fire Shield. Fire Shield on the other hand seems to boost your damage quite a bit and it generates HellFire.

Also, can someone who plays melee warlock tell me if he uses Stone Leap from the Nether Void tree at all?

Lastly, is there a way to see the maxed out stats of skills without having to skill them up? Maybe some kind of Build Planner on the Internet? A quick google search did result in nothing.

Thank you :D

Miothan

• Bring in the dead, for the living has no use!
Re: Melee Warlock | Fire Shield vs. Nether Shield
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 02:34:16 AM »
Nether Shield for sure, if you think about it, how much damage are you really going to reflect back at an attacker? you might deal 200k dmg yourself, but reflect dmg will only be a max of ~50k, with 75% dodge you cant really make good use of it, and if you use a shield its even less useful, and attack speed does not increase the cast speed or Burning Blade, only cast speed does. Also, if you want to get the most out of a Fire Shield you would have to first build up 50 Hellfire so you get the buffed effect of 270% reflected damage, and even then its really bad since you dodge, block and reduce the damage you take with damage reduction, so the reflected amount wont be all that much.

Not to mention you need to get hit for it to work, and even then if you only get hit for tiny amounts its basicly worthless (i would argue its worthless even if it reflects 50k due to having to TAKE dmg for it to reflect). You can not use 2 shields at the same time atm, tho i think it would not matter atm if Salan makes it psosible anyway since the best specc for the Warlock does not rely on ANY shields atm anyway(you would end up nerfing your character if you run 2 shield specc in my oppinion even if it were possible to stack the shield effects)

Stone leap is a poor version of a teleport, use 1 point in Fractured Reality instead, which is a teleport if you need to escape from something.

The TL2 Wiki was removed due to not being able to finance it (at least it seems that was the reason) so currently theres some german homepage i think that provides a tl2 skill calculator, but you can just use a respecc potion anyway, unlimited respeccs in synergies so you dont have to be stuck with 1 specc on your character (tho 1 will most likely always be hailed as the "best" anyway so not like you gona change your specc later on anyway unless Salan changes some skills)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 02:58:27 AM by Miothan »
What was once dead, can be made into servants of death and destruction. Feast on the innocent, slaughter the weak and punish those who would stand in your way!

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 02:30:00 PM »
Both Hellfire and nethervoid have melee capability.  If you are using fire attacks i would consider fire shield for the dmg bonus it gives you if you have fast cast bonus already,  Otherwise the cast speed and missile reflect of nether is prob better. 

Also note that both shields generate their resource and subtract from opposing.  If you are fire and using nether you could gimp your damage if you run the max opposing shield where using max fire shield will increase your fire generation exceedingly
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 02:32:59 PM by Salan »
People motivate themselves, and are inspired by others.
--- I love making FUN encounters, the ones that make you scream with terror, and remember them forever! ---
**more awesome then an awesome possum**

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 02:31:20 PM »
Stone leap is an attack spell.  Maxed out it has some great utility and damage to add to a melee attack.  Its not really a get away teleport as it has a small delay in it as well
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 02:33:30 PM by Salan »
People motivate themselves, and are inspired by others.
--- I love making FUN encounters, the ones that make you scream with terror, and remember them forever! ---
**more awesome then an awesome possum**