Author Topic: A few questions about dual-wielding mechanics  (Read 1331 times)

weltmeisterchen

A few questions about dual-wielding mechanics
« on: January 24, 2015, 06:43:22 AM »
Hi,

I have some questions about game mechanics (mostly concerning dual wielding) which Google couldn't answer.
I understand that when dual wielding, skills based on weapon damage only consider the right hand weapon (left in the inventory). I also understand that normal attacks alternate between both weapons and that execute only works on those normal attacks.

Here's what I don't understand:

1. Which item properties (like +strength/dexterity/focus, health/mana stolen on hit, knockback, conveys X damage over y seconds, -X armor per hit, chance to cast X on strike, etc...) on the RIGHT HAND weapon work with skills and which only with normal attacks?
      1b. Which item properties from the LEFT HAND weapon work with skills?
      1c. Does it matter if the skill is based on weapon damage?
      1d. Which item properties on a weapon work on normal attacks with the OTHER weapon?

2. Does the item property "X% damage bonus when dual-wielding" (on any equipment) affect skills? The Arcane Statistics state no, but I read differently on this forum.

3. Have any of those mechanics been changed in SynergiesMod compared to vanilla?

4. What is the advantage of dual wielding for Outlanders? Is it viable in SynergiesMod?

I spent quite a bit of time googling about these questions and read all sorts of rumours. So please only answer if you are sure and don't spread half knowledge.

SirTeebag

Re: A few questions about dual-wielding mechanics
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 09:38:23 AM »
So basically statpoints like strength & dexterity buff your character by itself which is shown in the character attribute window on the left. (so your skills working with that attribute are getting stronger)
Health/Mana stolen on HIT (all properties with on hit effects) only work with auto HITS, except the skill you are using says different but that's not the normal case.
Conveys X dmg over Y seconds works (i THINK) with every skill that damages foes, since the skill obtains it's damage from your weapons. you can test that pretty easily.
On strike effects don't trigger on skills but as well except the skill is saying different.
1b.
I did some testing lately and it seems that properties (unlike the DPS) are put together when dualwhielding and using skills that can trigger the effects of your left hand weapon. For example the Conveys X dmg over Y second affix does work on either hand.
1c.
No, unless it says different as mentioned before
1d.
since the weapons rotate when attacking the effects of your main hand occur on strike with your main hand and the other way around. i think "execute" (attacking with both at the same time) triggers both main and left hand weapon effects (again, Str/dex etc. are always present)

Yes it does. Simply because it buffs your Weapon DPS (look at your main hand DPS in arcane statistics when changing gear), which leads to a more powerful skill if it is using DPS (im not sure about weapon dmg thou but it should be more powerful as well). It does not power up your flat dmg skills.

I can't tell to be honest since I played vanilla long time ago and never get to lvl 100 just because it was not promising enough. Thus i didn't deal with statistics and affix tests.

If you like Shattering glaive and want to have high damage or even want to reach damage cap you actually should use dual whield (it can be dual claw/sword etc. as well, since auto hitting is really tough in end game dungeons using pistols). It is more powerful because you are able to enchant and socket 12 items instead of 11, in addition many one hand weapons have power stats like %crit and %critdmg, which is necessary for outlander depending on your gear. Shattering Glaive relies on flat damage, that being said the skill doesn't need high DPS weapons but good properties.

If you are interested in end game outlander builds check this one out. It is made by "GreatName" (Forum nickname). His youtube channel "Critical Hits Media" contains many other videos concerning Synergies Mod. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPmR2uMkaDo
-Take what you can, give nothing back!-

weltmeisterchen

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 10:05:37 AM »
This helps a lot, thank you very much!

I'm trying a dual pistol build with rapid fire at the moment. But I'm only lvl 30 yet :)

Any tips for skills and/or equipment?

SirTeebag

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 06:53:22 PM »
I would'nt recommend dual pistol with rapid fire since rapid fire is based on weapon DPS and has no AoE. its okay for early game against elites/champions etc. but if you reach end game I bet you will know what I mean. Im not that into outlander to be honest, but at the moment he is one of the weaker classes due to missing survivability which is needed for every class even if you're range. I heard of only Shotgun outlander and Shattering glaive build, that would be my first try reaching endgame!
-Take what you can, give nothing back!-