Author Topic: New to Tochlight 2 and Synergies. Dieing so much it's becoming decidedly unfun.  (Read 2212 times)

Geargrinder

Hello,

Got me Torchlight 2 last week and installed synergies. Since I've been playing ARPG's since Diablo 1 I didn't expect too much trouble getting a handle on things.

Thing is, I die so much that the will to play on just ebbs away. It's no fun.

For example. Right now I have to enter the slaver's camp. There's 2 bosses there. 1 lich thingie that puts you in a bone prison, then rains lightning blasts on your head all the while blasting you with those purple/black bolts. At the same time the other melee boss summons around 10 spectral swords and keeps throwing out bone spikes or something and poof, you're dead again.

Am I doing something wrong here? I play a lvl 19 berserker and I'm aiming for a wolfpack build. Following the guide I split my stat points between str and focus and I'm using gear which I've found. I'm dodging so much I barely have time to get hits off. If I stand still for around 5 seconds I'm dead because of their attacks.

This is the build I'm using so far: http://torchlight.ingame.de/torchlight-2/kalkulatoren/torchlight-2-skill-calculator/?eng,berserker,19,7,0,0,0,0,1,0,0,5,0,0,0,0,1,0,1,0,0,5,0,0,5,0,0,0,0,1,1,0,4,1,0,0,0,0

Shed some light for me plz, because I wanna like this game, but just don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Miothan

• Bring in the dead, for the living has no use!
Your build seems to be solid, so its mostly about what items you got.

At the start of the game it is much harder than later in the game because by then you have enough skill-points to get the tier 1-3 stuff of abilities and you probably also has better gear ^^ so just tough it out for now and get to level 35 or something (that should be the turning point i think, perhaps even level ~30).
What was once dead, can be made into servants of death and destruction. Feast on the innocent, slaughter the weak and punish those who would stand in your way!

potterman28wxcv

Hello,

Got me Torchlight 2 last week and installed synergies. Since I've been playing ARPG's since Diablo 1 I didn't expect too much trouble getting a handle on things.

Thing is, I die so much that the will to play on just ebbs away. It's no fun.

For example. Right now I have to enter the slaver's camp. There's 2 bosses there. 1 lich thingie that puts you in a bone prison, then rains lightning blasts on your head all the while blasting you with those purple/black bolts. At the same time the other melee boss summons around 10 spectral swords and keeps throwing out bone spikes or something and poof, you're dead again.

Am I doing something wrong here? I play a lvl 19 berserker and I'm aiming for a wolfpack build. Following the guide I split my stat points between str and focus and I'm using gear which I've found. I'm dodging so much I barely have time to get hits off. If I stand still for around 5 seconds I'm dead because of their attacks.

This is the build I'm using so far: http://torchlight.ingame.de/torchlight-2/kalkulatoren/torchlight-2-skill-calculator/?eng,berserker,19,7,0,0,0,0,1,0,0,5,0,0,0,0,1,0,1,0,0,5,0,0,5,0,0,0,0,1,1,0,4,1,0,0,0,0

Shed some light for me plz, because I wanna like this game, but just don't know what I'm doing wrong.
Well, you have to play carefully there. Retreat whenever your health is low, defeat monsters one by one, etc..

Take a shield if you can, it will greatly help you. Also, if you are underleveled, the game is really hard. Don't hesitate to spam this Shadow Burst to quikly regain health outside of health potions.

Also, you should extensively use health and mana potions in this game. Your pet is here to do the shopping for you  ;D

Geargrinder

Thanks for your replies.

Funny thing is. Since I've posted that message I haven't died once :P

I guess that also sometimes you just get really unlucky and encounter (green named) some mobs that can kill you in 2-3 shots. Combined with the large numbers of mobs in a pack makes it easy to lose oversight.
Added to that, since i'm a newcomer I don't know what the mobs do. So I didn't prioritize properly.

It's good to know that my build isn't wonky.

I'll see myself getting to lvl 100 with this character now ^^

potterman28wxcv

That's why it's really hard to go hardcore in Synergies btw ; but not impossible !

Geargrinder

So I decided to start a Warlock yesteryday, and I'm already close to where I am with my Berserker. I breeze through the game at a fun rate now while still needing to be clever with positioning, loving it :)

Either my Berserker got gutted by some previous mod, or it's just a pain in the *** to level a primarily aa based berserker.