Author Topic: How to Conduct Testing of Classes  (Read 1066 times)

bio667

How to Conduct Testing of Classes
« on: March 27, 2015, 08:35:14 AM »
Hello I just wanted to get ideas and tips of how everyone tests their class mods, like a set of guidelines to keep in mind while designing the class. I want to make a custom class that fits more to my play style but not something outrageous. any advice would be appreciated.

Best regards,
Bio667

potterman28wxcv

Re: How to Conduct Testing of Classes
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 08:12:18 PM »
    I believe most of the classes in the workshop haven't really been properly tested  ;D

Creating a balanced class is very hard. I think you have three possible levels :
    • You make a class that is a "mix" of already existing classes. This is the simplest to do, since skills themselves are already balanced
    • You make a class that uses new skills, based on existing animations. This is a bit harder, because you have to design the skill effects, and balance them. That's what Salan did with the Necromancer, the first class added by Synergies
    • You make a class without using any animation. This is harder, because you have both balance and animations to handle. I think Salan added some new animations to the Warlock.
    • You make a class completely from scratch. First, you create new animations, but also, you try to create new effects / play with them, so that in the end it creates something new. I think that is what Salan did with the Ranger, and this is really huge work.

I would suggest to take existing animations, to make your life easier  :P Then, in the future, if you really want new animations, you can always replace them later !

Then, I would say there are several levels of testing, in order :
    • Test that your skills are working seperately correctly, with the animations being displayed in a good way, and skills having the right effects (if there is a DoT, verify that the DoT applies, and stuff like that)
    • Then it's playing time. You should play your class on elite, until lvl 100, and see how the different trees are balanced. If you see a skill that is obviously too weak, increase his damage. If you see a skill that does more damage than it should, decrease it. This is really the hardest stuff ever, and even the developers themselves haven't balanced perfectly the vanilla classes. Though, it's good to do at least one entire playthrough with your class to have something that is close to balanced

I believe most of the people only play their classes until act 1 ; but it's not enough. It's with the other acts that you really see how the class behaves. And also you can try to do some synergies endgame  ;D

Once you have done all this stuff, your class should be playable and balanced.

PS : you might want to use the console to level up to 100 quickly  ;) I think what Salan did was leveling to 100, grating him large amount of gold, getting a gear in Table Moutain, and then trying Derinkuyu. It might work ; but it's also good to know how the class is played below lvl 100, so in act 1, 2 and 3 for example. You class might do well in lvl 100, but be actually very hard to level, because skills are not unlocked yet etc.. That's a bit the case of the vanilla Outlander actually.

PPS : Creating a skill can be tricky. The game has some weird mechanism sometimes.. You will have very often GUTS headaches. Some behaviours that should not happen.. But yet do, and you have no idea why, because how Torchlight 2 exactly works is a real black box.

PPPS : I've saw some people activating a log that displays you what damage is taken by what monster etc.. This would be really really useful for you. But i have no idea how to display this. I've once tried to search, with no results.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 08:25:47 PM by potterman28wxcv »

Rhythmier

Re: How to Conduct Testing of Classes
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 06:38:00 AM »
    [/list]
    PPPS : I've saw some people activating a log that displays you what damage is taken by what monster etc.. This would be really really useful for you. But i have no idea how to display this. I've once tried to search, with no results.

Enable console in the game, then press the "insert" button on your keyboard, and type in [combatlog]. After that you should be able to see all the data whenever your character "did" something or "received" something. (Dmg, buff, skills, blocked... etc.)

After that, go to you Torchlight 2 folder (the folder where you can find your "mod" folder, mine is "C:\Users\Asus\Documents\My Games\Runic Games\Torchlight 2" and just so you know, mine is Runic version). In the folder you will notice a new text document file named "combatLog", open it up and you get all the data you saw in the game without needing to copy paste it.

Hope that helps! Cheers~ ;D