Author Topic: Netherbolt - Weapon damage or Weapon DPS?  (Read 2849 times)

GORGE

Netherbolt - Weapon damage or Weapon DPS?
« on: March 30, 2015, 11:04:11 PM »
Hi, I've just recently redownloaded TL2 and started my first play through of synergies mod. I've been playing a warlock similar to the "one proc build." I've been using netherbolts as my main skill.

I have been testing on the target dummies in town. I've noticed that netherbolts doesn't seem to scale off weapon DPS. Even though the tooltip says "40% of weapon damage..." I was under the impression that all weapon damage scaling was based off weapon DPS so you'd have normalized damage coming from weapons (excluding crits). I have a staff that is much higher dps, but the average netherbolt hits are ~25% lower. I've noticed that slower weapons (therefore higher weapon damage) tend to hit much harder with netherbolts. My current hardest hitting netherbolt weapon is a 1.42 speed pure physical damage green greatsword over quite a few yellow staves/wands of similar dps. I'm also almost purely focus and have a ton of +lightning % damage, which would tend to favor staves/wands with lightning damage.

So does netherbolt simply scale from weapon damage and therefore I should focus on the highest weapon damage (not weapon dps)? Is this common in TL2? Why doesn't it scale from weapon DPS like you'd expect to have for balanced weapons? Are there any other explanations that I am missing?

I can provide more specific screenshots of weapons and damage numbers if needed. Just curious about this since it seems so unintuitive.

Thanks if anybody reads this ;p

GORGE

Re: Netherbolt - Weapon damage or Weapon DPS?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 09:20:39 PM »
https://youtu.be/KDP1IGp_vQo

Here's a short video describing what I mean. My Netherbolts hits much harder with a blue greathammer (474 char stat dps) than with a yellow staff (785 char stat dps). It doesn't seem like this should be the case as it makes anything but extremely slow weapons just useless for netherbolts. Also, netherbolts is doing ~10x the damage of Mana Missles. Is this a lowbie scaling thing or what?

I think each Netherbolt is doing 40% of weapon damage. When six bolts each doing 40% weapon damage are casted, it seems like the damage is far too high.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 09:31:09 PM by GORGE »

Miothan

• Bring in the dead, for the living has no use!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 10:17:41 PM »
I did some testing, but i think it is working as it should, simply because the ability description says "% of weapon Damage" which means it does not calculate the damage from Weapon DPS.

It would be better to make it use Weapon DPS for damage scaling, would open up for much more weapons to use other than the highest damage ones (DPS doesnt matter, as much total damage as possible on the weapon does, for that ability), so for example a 2000 Physical damage weapon with 2 seconds attack time would do more damage than a 1100 Physical damage every 1 second simply because it does not count DPS, but rather total damage of the weapon for the damage it does.

Also, if it gets changed to use Weapon DPS, it will actually do less damage, but you will be able to use any weapon with similar DPS and get the same results.

The only weapons that would GAIN damage from using Weapon DPS instead of damage, would be any weapon that attacks faster than once every second.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 10:30:51 PM by Miothan »
What was once dead, can be made into servants of death and destruction. Feast on the innocent, slaughter the weak and punish those who would stand in your way!

GORGE

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 08:03:37 PM »
Thanks for the response. That's basically the conclusion I came to as well.

Netherbolts seems pretty overpowered at lower levels (I'm ~30 atm).

Any idea how the three procs scale? Weap dps or weapon damage?

Miothan

• Bring in the dead, for the living has no use!
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 09:08:39 PM »
Thanks for the response. That's basically the conclusion I came to as well.

Netherbolts seems pretty overpowered at lower levels (I'm ~30 atm).

Any idea how the three procs scale? Weap dps or weapon damage?

The 3 passive damage procs Hell Fire, Frozen Hatred and Nether Mastery does flat elemental damage, so you only increase their damage by increasing elemental and/or magical damage.

There is probably also a level scaling on the passive procs, so the damage numbers probably increases automatically for every level up you gain until you hit level 100 (Would have to ask Salan to know for sure, but all we really need to know is that they are great while leveling and gets even better at lvl 100 when you get some decent gear :P)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 09:11:36 PM by Miothan »
What was once dead, can be made into servants of death and destruction. Feast on the innocent, slaughter the weak and punish those who would stand in your way!

maciek

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 06:40:34 PM »
I did some testing, but i think it is working as it should, simply because the ability description says "% of weapon Damage" which means it does not calculate the damage from Weapon DPS.

It would be better to make it use Weapon DPS for damage scaling, would open up for much more weapons to use other than the highest damage ones (DPS doesnt matter, as much total damage as possible on the weapon does, for that ability), so for example a 2000 Physical damage weapon with 2 seconds attack time would do more damage than a 1100 Physical damage every 1 second simply because it does not count DPS, but rather total damage of the weapon for the damage it does.

Also, if it gets changed to use Weapon DPS, it will actually do less damage, but you will be able to use any weapon with similar DPS and get the same results.

The only weapons that would GAIN damage from using Weapon DPS instead of damage, would be any weapon that attacks faster than once every second.

when you score a critical hit only the maximum damage (per second) of a weapon is taken into equation thus its the only thing that matters
great hammers have the biggest maximum damages even with low overall DPS, thats why they are better for DPS skills (unless you are not specing for critical strikes)

Owyn

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 07:30:34 AM »

when you score a critical hit only the maximum damage (per second) of a weapon is taken into equation thus its the only thing that matters
great hammers have the biggest maximum damages even with low overall DPS, thats why they are better for DPS skills (unless you are not specing for critical strikes)
wait, so for critical hits it's the reverse forumula? so not weapon damage is taken there but weapon DPS?