Author Topic: 2H Engi viable?  (Read 2301 times)

Matt516

2H Engi viable?
« on: June 19, 2015, 07:16:57 PM »
Hello all,

Just came back to TL2 after some years and decided to try Synergies out. It looks fantastic. I do want to make sure before I start though - is a 2H Engineer viable? Everything I've seen seems to suggest that sword/board or ranged is better, and that 2H weapons suck... but I've also heard about how well balanced Synergies is. So I'm not really sure what to think. Can I play a 2H Engi and be useful? Or am I missing out on too much with the loss of enchants and slottables?

Miothan

• Bring in the dead, for the living has no use!
Re: 2H Engi viable?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 07:32:31 PM »
Hello all,

Just came back to TL2 after some years and decided to try Synergies out. It looks fantastic. I do want to make sure before I start though - is a 2H Engineer viable? Everything I've seen seems to suggest that sword/board or ranged is better, and that 2H weapons suck... but I've also heard about how well balanced Synergies is. So I'm not really sure what to think. Can I play a 2H Engi and be useful? Or am I missing out on too much with the loss of enchants and slottables?

2H weapons are viable up to T0.5 content, for Darkness Falls you lose out on too much compared to 1h+shield or Dual-wielding.
What was once dead, can be made into servants of death and destruction. Feast on the innocent, slaughter the weak and punish those who would stand in your way!

Matt516

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 07:36:51 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply! I guess I'll play 2H for leveling and the lower-level endgame stuff, then respec when I get to T1.

Do you know if there are there any plans to fix this? It seems like an awfully glaring balance issue to have an entire weapon style be unviable for endgame content. :/

Is there some reason 2H weapons don't just have double the number of slots as 1H weapons?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 07:38:39 PM by Matt516 »

Miothan

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 06:40:42 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply! I guess I'll play 2H for leveling and the lower-level endgame stuff, then respec when I get to T1.

Do you know if there are there any plans to fix this? It seems like an awfully glaring balance issue to have an entire weapon style be unviable for endgame content. :/

Is there some reason 2H weapons don't just have double the number of slots as 1H weapons?

Well, there is something that bugs out items when they have more than 2 socket slots if i recall correctly, which is why salan made items restricted to 2 sockets (and also for balance purpose, easier to balance with 1 or 2 as max)

But yea, sockets is also why its not really worth using 2handers, biggest contributor tho is that you dont gain enough damage to justify wearing a 2hander compared to 1h+shield or dual-wielding, 2h in TL2 has always been weak in my opinion, not sure why they have so low DPS/Damage. But lets say Salan makes a kick-ass 2hander, you would still favour 1h+shield or dual-wielding since the surviability is the most important factor in Darkness Falls, if you die, you have to waste time running back, which means you just doubled the time it takes you to kill a boss instead of making it faster.

When you are fully decked out in gear, with a Warlock and Berserker most encounters are about 20-40 seconds (depends on the encounter ofc), but encounters such as Rak'var, Troll King and Double Dragon are all done in about 20-30 seconds, lets say you would pick up a 2hander for some more damage, you would perhaps gain 3-4 seconds faster kills but lose an incredible amount of survivability, the same applies for the Engineer.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 10:01:44 AM by Miothan »
What was once dead, can be made into servants of death and destruction. Feast on the innocent, slaughter the weak and punish those who would stand in your way!

RetsReds

• Fantasy writer - Yordan Zhelyazkov
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 01:10:57 AM »
you would still favour 1h+shield or dual-wielding since the surviability is the most important factor in Darkness Falls

Well, that sounds like an easy fix - just give some extra survivability to the endgame two-handers.  ???

Miothan

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 01:51:22 AM »
you would still favour 1h+shield or dual-wielding since the surviability is the most important factor in Darkness Falls

Well, that sounds like an easy fix - just give some extra survivability to the endgame two-handers.  ???

Since 2H only have 2 sockets they would need almost double damage/DPS as well to make up for what you lose by wearing a 2H, currently no 2H gives anything even close to that.

RetsReds

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 02:05:10 AM »
Since 2H only have 2 sockets they would need almost double damage/DPS as well to make up for what you lose by wearing a 2H, currently no 2H gives anything even close to that.

Well, I'm not talking about an increase in DPS. Just give them extra survivability, equal to what 2 gems on a shield would give and allow for more enchants. We already have the parry system in place. I think that should be enough to make them on par with DW. There are not that many 2Handers in end-game - several greatswords, greataxes and polearms. And staffs. There aren't any greathammers yet.  So tweaking their stats shouldn't be that time consuming.

Miothan

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 02:29:58 AM »

Well, I'm not talking about an increase in DPS. Just give them extra survivability, equal to what 2 gems on a shield would give and allow for more enchants. We already have the parry system in place. I think that should be enough to make them on par with DW. There are not that many 2Handers in end-game - several greatswords, greataxes and polearms. And staffs. There aren't any greathammers yet.  So tweaking their stats shouldn't be that time consuming.

Parry is not exclusive to the weapon you wear, my own engineer uses the Residual Aftermath set due to the excellent synergy it has with Engineer.

T1 2H weapons have the same or lower DPS compared to 1H T1 weapons, which does not make sense from a damage point of view, that coupled with only having 2 sockets makes it an incredible loss to use 2H atm.

RetsReds

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 02:42:17 AM »
T1 2H weapons have the same or lower DPS compared to 1H T1 weapons, which does not make sense from a damage point of view, that coupled with only having 2 sockets makes it an incredible loss to use 2H atm.

I haven't ventured in T1 nearly as much as you have, but still - it's a matter of tweaking the stats on several items. We're not talking about a drastic game-balance change, just increase the survivability and dmg (if T1 2H dmg is really low) and that's it. There are a handful of items that this should be done for. I really hope once Salan gets his mojo back and picks up some speed, he'll give it a wee time to fix the 2Handers. I don't care how the pally is intended to be played, I'm playing him as a 2H user. :P