Author Topic: Paladin feedback  (Read 2230 times)

dreynar

Paladin feedback
« on: July 09, 2015, 03:05:26 AM »
    Started playing Synergies few months back after pretty much doing anything fun and interesting in vanila game and my latest experience was with the paladin after doing the necromancer first.
    I went with a sword and board build and tried to balance tank and damage more favouring tank sometimes.
 Firstly I must say Consecration is a great idea for a skill(heals you damages enemies) however around lvl80-90 and up to 100 and of course in the synergies raids it lacks power either to heal you or to bleed enemies around decently fast as it does in lower levels.
    Lay on hands-great skill for moments when you need your health back however I felt the absorbtion shield being physical only as a huge waste since most times I'd die from an elemental attack,also the bubble duration felt too short and skill cooldown too long.
    All the 3 aura skills I felt were quite nice and balanced.
    Of all 3 blessings felt blessing of protection could do with a higher % to reflect.
    Among the damage skills in justice tree I went for render verdict and hammer of reckoning and felt that hammer of reckoning does maybe too much damage while leveling,maybe tuning down its %dps that it starts with and adding larger increments with each rank so the damage stays the same when you reach lvl100 but doesn't feel too much early on.Abolition felt the same as hammer of reckoning early on but I abandoned it once I had access to reckoning because of superior damage.
    As for the passive skills most are basicaly 1 point wonders went with 15 points in lightsworn tho for the extra damage and healing;death sentence tho didn't make much sense to me and after running through Darkness falls and collecting most of the set pieces around I noticed the angelic sets do not suport dual wielding(both have block chance)
    Really enjoyed swift justice and even spent 10 points in it as it felt as a safer escape move to me than rightceous charge,could also be that I was used with it from the engineer class but it does feel like the superior escape move or opening move for jumping into a fight.
    I didn't make use of any of the fire based attack skills because of their long cast times and duration between casting and damage dealt plus longer cooldowns than most skills in justice tree,also conviction requiring full charge put me off entirely from considering it.
    As far as my progress with the class I played on elite as intended;from lvl3 or so until 100 I leveled entirely in realm of discord and due to vanila gear i found around I was always few steps ahead of the mobs in damage(2mil damage highest hit before DK)
    In DK I spent my time farming along with another player using a warlock and eventualy built up an adamant set and soulbound it for the troll areas.Even fully soulbound and geared for what i felt a decent balance between tank,debuffs and damage my warlock co-op buddy tanked alot better than me(we both used the same set:adamant)
    Once we made the move to Darkness falls the weaknesses of the class grew even larger and I was eventualy forced to replace my paladin with a berserker.
    As for my personal hopes for the class in the future more balanced scaling of some damage skills while progressing would be nice,maybe slightly shorter cooldowns on some skills,maybe no cooldown on others with overall lower damage to bring them into the spotlight,curently I feel the class lacks both damage and sustainability on the tier 1 area(as example the engineer can chose between 2 defensive 'shields' forcefield and aegis of fate both which have all damage absorbtion one lasts 30 sec and can be recast before it expires and one lasts until depleted by damage)

Finaly altho not sure modding allows it should the paladin be the 'tanker' of the classes I'd love to see a mechanic where a Paladin can draw agression to itself and away from less resilient classes in multiplayer games.

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
Re: Paladin feedback
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 09:25:11 PM »
sadly the paladin was never finished in its current form, and it is something I Have slowly been plugging at when I can to rework and finish.

Hopefully once I am done doing the colossal rework it will be worth the wait ;)
People motivate themselves, and are inspired by others.
--- I love making FUN encounters, the ones that make you scream with terror, and remember them forever! ---
**more awesome then an awesome possum**

demon-storm

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 01:56:51 PM »
Now that the paladin was somehow reworked, I assume it's safe to revive this thread.

The paladin now feels like a watered down engineer, lacking both offense and defense. He also has too many buffs to keep up (6 only on one tree). But I have been playing for a little while and I can't speak for the endgame content. I assume abolition will be stronger if it tracks down enemies when charges used, because now it doesn't even hit enemies at most times, feeling almost completely useless and under par compared to execution (especially damage wise).

I expected the class to be a little more fun to play as well, something more engaging like the engineer, if we are to compare. The charge bonus to execution is not noticeable, visually wise and barely damage wise. The charge is lackluster since it puts you at danger when diving in a lot of enemies (very dangerous when raiding I assume), abolition has cooldown which it shouldn't (funny because it has longer cooldown than execution and is much less effective) and other lackluster, at most situational skills like leap (but charge is even better as an escape skill) that has low casting time.

Defensive wise, the health pool buff is amazing, but that's about it.

Also, the charge consumption by skills does not happen if you're not at full charge. Is it supposed to be like this? Since there's no mention on the charge bar or even the skills.

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 06:35:13 PM »
Totally agree the class if far from balanced yet.
People motivate themselves, and are inspired by others.
--- I love making FUN encounters, the ones that make you scream with terror, and remember them forever! ---
**more awesome then an awesome possum**

Nemo

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 12:19:19 PM »
Hey
Just been playing with the paladin, I think the damage out put has greatly decreased. I think that's to do with hammer of justice not being as a skill, but at least wrath of God's does some damage now.
I do like the honor guard they way he changes each tier, but other than that he is pretty useless just as before.
Angelic is absolutely awesome no doubt about that (good boost).
Obolition needs to be improved cause every so often it does not hit I don't know why.
I don't like charm I think it's kind shabby, does not have enough value to invest skill points.
swap with pet another which has no great value.
Execution seems a lot like HOJ but watered down to the max, still good for multiple mobs.
execution Of stay it says it proc's , I think it's 100% proc chance but it hardly proc's or maybe I am wrong.
Inside job is okay, nothing great.
last right is brilliant but 2 sec damage reduce is to little should be 5 sec
the other auras or buffs are quite good
symbiotic health is good.

Overall good improvements but the big question is would I survive in tier1
Tbh I don't think I could survive, due to the fact there is no real damage out put skill to give me the edge in tier1. well we will soon find out.

Good job salan
thanks for the update been waiting for ages.

Nemo

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 12:24:22 PM »
Sorry I forgot to mention 1 major glitch, when u respec with paladin u receive way to many skill points enough to be level 150 or higher. Well that helped me a lot lol
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 12:38:44 PM by Nemo »