Author Topic: New Paladin Charge?  (Read 1935 times)

MistahFixIt

New Paladin Charge?
« on: July 12, 2015, 10:14:34 AM »
Hey folks, I've been playing SynergiesMod for a while now, and I love how much it improves and adds to the game. Little things like the density of loot drops, the expanded inventory pages (so I'm not sending myself/my pet back to town every five minutes) and, of course, the roster of new and interesting classes.

I especially like the Paladin, and look forward to the day when it finally gets finished ;P

That said, there is one thing I kinda don't like about it: the charge mechanic. It feels a bit... I dunno, tacked-on, I guess? I know it's more or less copied over from the Engineer charge mechanics, but it feels weird and doesn't seem to really add anything significant to the Paladin's playstyle.

That said, an idea occurred to me a few days ago when I tried out the Warlock for the first time. Also a fascinating class, though I'm not typically a fan of the 'squishy wizard' types ;P But what caught my interest was the Dual Charge mechanics the Warlock uses, kind of like the Demonhunter from Diablo 3, in a way. It also gave me an idea to replace/improve the Paladin's charge mechanic with a similar Dual-Charge system, but functioning in a different way.

It would effectively be one meter (like it is now) but it fills up from either side with one asset or the other. (Let's call them... 'Faith' and 'Zeal' for now, I guess) Let's say Faith is tied to Elemental Damage, and goes up when using elemental spells and abilities, while Zeal is tied to physical damage, and goes up using your base-attack and spells with physical damage.

Because both of them share the same meter, they become somewhat mutually exclusive. As your 'Faith' goes up, for example, the other (Zeal) will go down, and vice versa. Thus, you either have to commit to one resource, learn to oscillate between the two, or balance them both out to gain some of the benefits from each.

"Please excuse the crudity of this model, as I didn't have time to make it to-scale."

Why would I do this? Because Salan clearly doesn't have enough work to do on the Paladin, and I wanna see them cry. :P  But in seriousness, I'd like for the Paladin's charge mechanic to be unique from the others. Additionally, I seem to recall reading something about Salan not being happy with the Engineer-style charge mechanics, and wanting to switch it to something more in line with what the Berserker had.

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
Re: New Paladin Charge?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 09:16:18 PM »
i have been working on the paladin rework in the background over the last while, the charge is something I am still toiling with, this isn't a bad idea really, I'll see what parts of it will work with the art assets I have at my disposal.
People motivate themselves, and are inspired by others.
--- I love making FUN encounters, the ones that make you scream with terror, and remember them forever! ---
**more awesome then an awesome possum**

MistahFixIt

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 08:08:15 PM »
To be honest, I didn't expect you to reply,  much less take the idea even halfway seriously. But if you do work it in somehow, in whatever iteration that ends up being, that'd be fantastic.

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 06:00:56 PM »
I love the idea of unique systems in my work, hence the warlocks charge bar.

I don't have anyone working on the mod with me anymore, so art assets are kind of stuck where they are now.  I am trying to see if I can salvage something with what I have for a dual faith/zeal idea...
People motivate themselves, and are inspired by others.
--- I love making FUN encounters, the ones that make you scream with terror, and remember them forever! ---
**more awesome then an awesome possum**