Author Topic: New player progression/leveling  (Read 2301 times)

bountardos

New player progression/leveling
« on: August 25, 2015, 01:46:35 PM »
Hi, i'm new to synergies mod and i have a few questions, some probably already answered but not sure if they are in line with the actualy update of the mod.

Leveling for new character: i started a Necromancer in Elite, i have no stashed gear of any kind as it is my first playthrough, and i'm having alot of problems killing anything at all at level 11. Is this normal at all, maybe i'm using the wrong abilities, went for all the summons as i read in some other posts that it was effective while leveling, but i've spent most of my time running around kiting while mobs ignore the summons and i try to kill them with either auto attacks or my spell (Skull Barrage).
I'm using two 95 ish dps wands, as i need to auto attack quite a bit and need the range for survivability. Using a 3 Focus / 2 Vita stat distribution.
Alost worth mentioning i'm playing through the storyline.

Any help is welcome.

Miothan

• Bring in the dead, for the living has no use!
Re: New player progression/leveling
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 03:06:53 PM »
Elite difficulty is difficult for all classes no matter what, especially in the beginning when you have less choice of abilities/strength of abilities.

Necromancers summons wrecks havoc in Elite later on(while leveling, for end-game they are useless) but just starting out, the first 20 or so levels will be quite a struggle, but after that it should become noticeably faster when you unlock more and more summonable minions.

Monsters with shields and/or Invulnerable/Invincible/Impervious/Armored affix may be very hard to kill in the beginning.

When you reach level 16 you will have access to both the Lick, Dragon and Fury, with those 3 minions + Skeletons+ Zombies you should not have much problems. Also, use "Minion Master" and "Faceless Terror" they are great passive abilities for anyone using minions. And ofc buff them through the +to minion passives :P

Later on you can respecc with a potion of respecc, they cost 1200 i think it is, and they are unlimited so do not be afraid to experiment with your builds.

EDIT: Use the best 2-handed weapon you can find, Skull Barrage works of off Weapon DPS, so it doesn't matter what kind of weapon you use, the damage will always be calculated from the weapon DPS, so a good 2-handed weapon will make it easier to lvl as well.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 05:42:02 PM by Miothan »
What was once dead, can be made into servants of death and destruction. Feast on the innocent, slaughter the weak and punish those who would stand in your way!

bountardos

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 04:37:08 AM »
I progressed a little bit more and got to level 15, i did find a Unique two handed staff with 180 dps that helped quited a bit and noticed my minions doing more. Thanks to my relatively high focus i'm having no mana problems besides when i need to resummon my minions, zombies and death dolls tend to die alot, i only managed to add points to Skeleton Horde for now being point starved in the early game.
How do you manage to break shields? I don't recall seeing any skills for that in the Necromancer arsenal. Is Faceless Terror worth it in the beginning? 1% chance to summon on level 1, should i pump more points into it?
Anyways, i'll try different combinations, respec potions being not too expensive.

Miothan

• Bring in the dead, for the living has no use!
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 08:10:47 AM »
I progressed a little bit more and got to level 15, i did find a Unique two handed staff with 180 dps that helped quited a bit and noticed my minions doing more. Thanks to my relatively high focus i'm having no mana problems besides when i need to resummon my minions, zombies and death dolls tend to die alot, i only managed to add points to Skeleton Horde for now being point starved in the early game.
How do you manage to break shields? I don't recall seeing any skills for that in the Necromancer arsenal. Is Faceless Terror worth it in the beginning? 1% chance to summon on level 1, should i pump more points into it?
Anyways, i'll try different combinations, respec potions being not too expensive.

Yes Faceless Terror is worth it even with 1 point (it should be 10% chance at level 1, not 1%, it's 10% chance for me with 1 point in it), it summons a skull that follows you and never dies, and does damage to the enemies, ofc it is summoned when you get hit, but that shouldent be a problem anyway early-game since you kill stuff more easily if you hit enemies with your weapon while also using abilities.

Also, it does not matter what kind of weapon you use, or what kind of damage the weapon has you are using, Skull Barrage will convert 50% of the weapon DPS to Poison damage no matter what, so just get the highest dmg 2-hander you can find and go around slap enemies with it and skull barrage stuff =)

Skeleton Hordes are great "tanks" in early game they have the most hp/survival out of the summons that are available before you get the 3 big ones, and they are good at just...doing consistent damage, get that ability to level 5 so it summons 2 skeletons and it will be great =)

Later on Faceless Terror is really good, it will summon more and more skulls the more points you putn in it, 4 different types of skulls can be summoned in total with 15 skill-points invested in it, and 2nd skull unlocks at 5 skill-points in it i believe (try it out when it can reach lvl 5, you can always just get a respecc potion).
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 08:13:43 AM by Miothan »
What was once dead, can be made into servants of death and destruction. Feast on the innocent, slaughter the weak and punish those who would stand in your way!