Author Topic: Having problems with X-X damage skills while leveling  (Read 795 times)

Shaard

Having problems with X-X damage skills while leveling
« on: September 26, 2015, 04:37:55 PM »
So the first class I found I enjoyed was the berseker and I've been leveling him fairly easily with my friends. However I decided to try a Wolf Pack spec out while leveling and ran into some issues. These issues were further compounded upon trying out other classes (ESPECIALLY the embermage).

The first thing I noticed is the *Scales with player level on every skill that isn't based on % Weapon DPS. The issue I run into with this is these skills are absolutely useless right now (not sure if they get useful later on?).

For example, on my embermage I had leveled to around 15 on veteran with Magma Spear. With a decent staff it's hitting for around 200 damage per hit and clearing things at a decent pace. I decided to try out pretty much every other skill and found that they all seem to absolutely suck because they don't scale with weapon dps. Prismatic bolt is hitting maybe 100 damage per cast, firebombs is ticking for like 5 damage per second. Icy blast is doing pretty decent because it scales with % Weapon DPS, but Hailstorm only does damage maybe half the time (the other half it just doesnt do anything for some reason) and when it DOES do damage it's around ~17 damage. Frost wave I think was hitting for around 60 which is better than most, but when basic enemies have over 300 health its horrifically slow.

Are these "X-X damage" skills supposed to not be used until much later? If not, is there some hidden mechanic that I'm missing that will suddenly make them feel useful? I like the idea of skills like Flame Pillar but when 5 casts doesn't even kill a single enemy it just feels like a waste of time.

potterman28wxcv

Re: Having problems with X-X damage skills while leveling
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 07:24:01 AM »
The only ways to increase the damage of these X-X damage skills are by increasing your bonus to magical damage.
You can do that either with specific items, or by increasing your focus.

Note that critical damage also applies to these skills, if they are not DoT (Damage over Time).
Actually, if you have a character with a lot of +% to crit damage and crit chance, combined with a high focus, you can reach absurd high levels.

But yeah, if you want to go that way, then the weapon dps is useless, and you will want to prefer weapons who increase your casting rate for example.

demon-storm

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 03:43:57 PM »
Embermage is pretty weak as a class itself. You can try to go for a focus build, but I don't guarantee success since the endgame hardly has decent bonuses for focus builds (except darknessfalls, but forget that cause it's too hard for the embermage).

potterman28wxcv

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 06:24:42 PM »
Embermage is pretty weak as a class itself. You can try to go for a focus build, but I don't guarantee success since the endgame hardly has decent bonuses for focus builds (except darknessfalls, but forget that cause it's too hard for the embermage).
I didn't have much problem with my build. Until Darkness Falls, of course. But Tier 0 and 0.5 is doable.