Author Topic: Thought on ranger with bow and not guns - rebalance a bit  (Read 2558 times)

arobi

Thought on ranger with bow and not guns - rebalance a bit
« on: October 03, 2015, 10:38:55 AM »
I've been playing a ranged ranger and I am liking it. There is a temptation to use a gun+shield to get the % block, but it seems just wrong in terms of RP. Even the lightning skill tree panders towards allowing guns probably for this reason. The core classes already have the outlander which is more of a gunslinger type of character, it would be nice to have this character favor bows and crossbows even more so than currently IMO.

I was thinking that a passive to increase damage and range with bows and crossbows would be one such passive. The storm front skill is pretty meh IMO, I was wondering if you could replace it with a skill that does +2% bow/crossbow damage per level and +range with those as well (not sure of the amount).

Also I was thinking about what it would look like to replace the Giant Killer skill (it is a very odd skill anyways) and instead have a bark armor skill. It could either be one that would absorb damage (like a shield spell basically) or perhaps better, applies a chance to block when using a bow/xbow. Say 4% chance to block per level with a cooldown. For example, 15sec at tier0, 30sec at tier1, 45 at tier2 and 60seconds at tier 3. Then do a 30second cooldown on the skill.

This would then bring bows almost up to snuff with a shield. So the advantage of the shield would remain (magic properties, more sockets, etc.), but would allow the bow ranger a better reason to be viable.

WDYT?

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
Re: Thought on ranger with bow and not guns - rebalance a bit
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 03:29:49 AM »
The one handed crossbows are actually guns, sadly, with new graphics and such.  But as I can't create new base unittypes it had to piggyback on something.

I would rather not have guns as well, but there are some hard coded limitations I have to work with as I don't have means of altering somethings ;(
I will look into pushing it away from handguns, I might be able to make the restrictions specific the parent unittype instead of the child(or vice versa if im saying that wrong), we'll see what I can do.
People motivate themselves, and are inspired by others.
--- I love making FUN encounters, the ones that make you scream with terror, and remember them forever! ---
**more awesome then an awesome possum**

Zanadube

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 06:11:06 PM »
This IMHO is right in line with true Ranger RP... always either dual wield, or bow specialization. There isnt really a solid Bow viable tree in the game... Downloaded synergies today and specifically went with ranger hoping for bow skills, Bark armour and call lightning.

With this class there is so much lore from multiple areas of gaming and history to work with...

So far very impressed overall at the amazing job on this mod that you guys have done though.

Looks like this class still needs a little work.

Is there no movement skill? like pass through plants or something? Blade leap seems more like a ninja... tbh this whole class feels more like nature ninja. Anyway gonna take it as far as I can and see how I can break it 
>:D

Rangers...
Shape shifting
Bows
Dual wielding

Nature Magic:
Healing
Plant related CC like entangle (web with vines).
Barkskin
Call lightning
etc...

<3 <3 <3
 ;D
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 06:47:39 PM by Zanadube »

Mutant_Kid

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 07:50:07 AM »
I agree, I'm also currently looking for a Bow specific ranger build. 2 dual wield crossbow is ok i guess but I already have a dual pistol outlander gunslinger. Not looking to duplicate that.
Would really like to have a nice strong bow ranger build..

Zuzu

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 08:12:48 AM »
Actually testing storm based build with bow.

Maxed skills:
Static shot   - main spam
Electrocute   - for procs and some aoe clear
Thunderstorm
Storm Front
Bombardment  - some AOE and dmg booster for boses
Closure            - movement and healing
Gift of reneval  - procks on static and closure so sustain
Slashing wounds  - nice dota
Storm warning - 1pkt for movement

Skill i use now but still not shure:

Lightning strike - Nice dps but hard to find time to use it between statics
Rites of moon   - Not shure if this one or tree of lightning would be better. he use bombardment and do some aoe dmg so seems nice. Need to test thou

Skills to be tested:

Lightning tree
Storm surge - what this skill do? Dont get it at all. Ajuto!
Tree of Life  - seems like nice healing but usually closure + autos and potion are enought and its not instatn so hard to use like save button
Giant killer - anyone tested it? not shure how good it would be? How much it does anyway?
Nature rage - maxed might be nice. Does it requaired a summon to give me stats?

What i feel I lack now is AOE killing i had with thorns if only static would have a 2 extra arrows in cone shape i would be blessed. Salan Plea?

I use Atomic set and susperia as a weapon with 1 skull of umbarmun for mana (must be imo). Droping stuff in T0 for ring now.

Mutant_Kid

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 08:56:21 AM »
Interesting! You should start a build post about it :)

Zuzu

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 09:37:31 AM »
after I colmplete eq i will do some testing on trolls and will let U know if its comparable to thorns build
And probably Post in build secion if its working. Its just that there is no realy siuting eq especially weapon. Bow from witchcraft set is meh so i will probably stay with susperia. Is there any viable alternative ?

Mutant_Kid

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 09:55:59 AM »
what about the bow from the phoenix set?

Zuzu

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 04:11:15 PM »
didnt get to t1 yet

Zuzu

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 02:47:11 PM »
Well tested few electric build and at least without t1 stuff it doesnt work. Not enought survi and dmg output too hard to succesfully deploy.