Author Topic: DF has made synergies go from fun to impossible - need help  (Read 2065 times)

arobi

DF has made synergies go from fun to impossible - need help
« on: October 19, 2015, 11:53:41 AM »
So I've tried a warlock and switched to a wolfpack berserker build (my warlock was not doing enough damage to be good in DF), but I'm getting my *** handed to me in DF. I'm being 1-shot by the troll king and barely can do damage to him especially with his range that seems to be the entire screen with that glaive. I have 75% DR and a lousy 19% dodge with the debuff (not with the battle standard up). I'm trying to use Shadowbind+Howl+Storm Hatchet (to get the frenzy/charge going)+Wolfpack. I've got 55k crit damage on one hand and 27k on the other (so no block %). My stats are (base/with gear) 215/336 STR, 35/230 DEX, 150/459 FOC, and 135/291 VIT.

With gear I'm 20,183 HP before the debuff (so 13k in DF). My % Mana regen now stinks as I've had to re-socket my items to get more HP and higher %DR and the potions don't help much with that unfortunately.

Gear:
  • Atropos's Lament (2x rambren for +120% crit dmg)
  • Hammer of Retribution (2x Skull of Ojaz for +80% dmg)
  • Frigid Armor soulboundx2 (2x Skull of Limoany for 10%DR)
  • Frigid Helm soulboundx2 (1 Salan's eternal eye for 7%DR, 1 skull of wedges for +15% dmg)
  • Frozen North necklace soulboundx2 (1 skull of nalas for +62 dex, 1 skull Equak for +62 str)
  • 2x frozen north rings (1 w/ 2 skull limoany and 1 with 2 skull Riechliu)
  • Blue shoulders (+57 VIT, +58 Focus) (2 skull Riechliu)
  • Frozen North Belt soulboundx2 (2 Reichliu)
  • Frigid Gloves soulboundx2 (2x Skull of Limoany for 10%DR)
  • Breeks of the Railsmith legs (+34DEX, +1k HP and +1.5%DR for 3m range) (1 Limoany, 1 Riechliu)
  • Boots of the Lonely Lineman (+DEX/FOC/VIT) (1 Limoany, 1 Salan Eye)

All armor enchanted with +attr 3x, weapons with +cold damage. Even normal monsters can 1-2 hit me especially when my 10second (lousy time eh?) ice shield goes down (level 11 with a 80% return).

Obviously my build is no good for DF, or is it supposed to be this insanely hard? I play single player and have no desire to play online so perhaps that is part of it. Being almost 1-shot with 13k health seems a bit ridiculous though, especially by normal or blue monsters. The reflection built in with all DF monsters makes it that much more ridiculous.

Am I missing something, or is DF just supposed to be this hard where basically you run 99% of the time and fight back 1%?

For those that are okay, how do you get better HP without sacrificing %DR?

Also, it seems really a pain that the gear you need to survive is also only dropped by the monsters that you need it for. So for tier0, you need tier0 gear. For tier1 you need tier1 gear. As a result, you never have the gear you need and by the time you get the gear you don't need to play anymore since you already beat the bosses. Is that about it? I'd think that the tier0 gear would drop pre-tier0 somewhere, tier0.5 gear in tier0 and tier1 gear in tier0.5 and above, but obviously that is not the way it works.

Was enjoying this mod until DF, now it just stinks to play. Really appreciate any help in getting it to be fun again. Thanks.

TL;DR: To make it fun/viable in DF solo what do you think you need for %dodge, %crit, %block, %reflect and #HP?

(Playing in Elite)

Miothan

• Bring in the dead, for the living has no use!
Re: DF has made synergies go from fun to impossible - need help
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 01:07:20 PM »
If you play as a Wolfpack zerker id advice you to get the Adamantium set, and the Fahakin Flesavir Pants (T1.5 pants, drops from trash mobs in DF, best pants you can get before you have a T1 set).

You can dual-wield or go with 1-h+shield.

Best stuff before you switch out for T1 items is probably:

Adamantium Chest
Adamantium Boots
Adamantium Helmet
Adamantium Amulet
Adamantium Rings
Adamantium Gloves
Adamantium Shoulders
Adamantium Shield
Adamantium Belt
Fahakin Flesavir Pants (suggest using defensive special enchants on them when you get the soulstones for it)
Hemmer of Retribution

Soulboundx2 ofc.

You can't kill all the T1 bosses right away without getting upgrades for your gear, the Residual Aftermath Set is perfect for the Wolfpack zerker and allows you to facetank any boss once you have enough skulls and special enchants.

The bosses you CAN kill on elite with these items are: Double Dragons, Dragon Rescue, Troll King, Executioner (just takes some time), Warlock (requires you to move out of harmful effects).

I am not sure if you can kill Abe with these items, should be doable tho if you position yourself correctly (wait at the spawn points for the different phases, he always spawns at the same location each phase) and kill of some adds during the time you wait for him to pop up next.

Syrel'khan and Rak'var is not doable without getting some T1 items.
What was once dead, can be made into servants of death and destruction. Feast on the innocent, slaughter the weak and punish those who would stand in your way!

arobi

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 04:34:30 PM »
Thanks for the advice. Actually I already had that set for my warlock, so just transferred it. My damage now stinks, but I'm dying a whole lot less. I already found the residual aftermath chest. Should be interesting trying to figure out how to T1 enchant and debate all the different options.

Miothan

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 10:02:09 AM »
Thanks for the advice. Actually I already had that set for my warlock, so just transferred it. My damage now stinks, but I'm dying a whole lot less. I already found the residual aftermath chest. Should be interesting trying to figure out how to T1 enchant and debate all the different options.

Your damage may be lower, but you will survive to deal damage, and no matter what T0 set you use, you will not have enough damage to deal with Syerl'khan and Rak'var, so it's really a question of which set benefits you the most, the adamantium set let's you reach the DR cap much more easy and gives you a healthy amount of dodge and extra health and due to the DF debuff i think prio on defensive stats is more important than offensive, at least until you gather a few T1 items ^^

Can farm the DF generals for some easy soulstones and T1 items, also the Fahakin pants drop from the trash you go through on your way to find the generals, 1 general always spawns and 1 other is les likely to spawn, when i started my farm way back i used to scout the map for 1 general then remake the game.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 10:04:14 AM by Miothan »
What was once dead, can be made into servants of death and destruction. Feast on the innocent, slaughter the weak and punish those who would stand in your way!

arobi

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 01:15:01 AM »
Well, I am a bit farther, but getting almost stuck again. So I have swapped out some of my adamant set for Holy Angelic items (Armor, Amulet and Rings), but to be honest, cheating a bit with the console (tried using God mode for a bit, but it didn't help as still nothing from the RA set dropped). I don't see how I can get the residual aftermath items without needing them to kill the bosses that drop them. I can kill Abe (not the challenge chest yet), the troll king (challenge is easy on this one), the dragon tower (die several times, but can do it), and the dragon rescue. By swapping in +health holy angelic items I can now do Bleld and Nazich, but it is slow and painful (aka not much fun). Rak'var is hardly doable and Syrel'Khan is basically impossible at this point.

My question, is how can you farm the bosses to get the items to be able to beat the harder bosses? The residual aftermath items negate the block and if I give up the shield, I'm dying too much. It seems to be a chicken and the egg issue here. I need the RA set to beat the bosses to get the RA set.

For those that did it without cheating, how on earth did you progress to get to the point where you have the ideal set? According to the google doc spreadsheet shared, it seems like only the Dire Draconic set is possible to complete without killing Syrel'Khan. Add on top of that that many bosses don't even drop a mythic item when killed (why can't the drop rate be 100% with the HIGHLOOT mod?!) and when they do, it is often something that has already dropped several times (I hope I never seen another Dreadful Incognito Amulet, I must have had at least 10 drop by now!).

I know DF is supposed to be a challenge, but it is becoming very tedious, boring and frustrating without using the console, which would sap all the remaining fun out of it.

Salan, if you read this, please consider adding a new formula: 3 (or 4 if you must) mythic items for one new mythic item (all potentially 'drop'). At least single players have a chance at getting items only dropped by Syrel'Khan.

Sorry to gripe, but I'm sure that Salan wanted this to be challenging, not frustrating to the point of making people want to quit playing Torchlight 2 altogether.

For those that did get a full T1 set, how did you manage the grind before completing it? Did you cheat? Or was it a very slow, hours long grind of dumb luck?

Thanks for any help again.

Miothan

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 12:21:20 PM »
Progress before i had a single character geared enough to kill stuff easily was slow and took time, but that is also why i found it rewarding, because every single run i did, i progressed a little bit, be it by a mythical skull i needed or a better rolled item i already had or an item i actually needed to complete my sets.

Darkness Falls was made to take time to complete, you are not supposed to complete it in a day.

You will reach a point tho, where you will be able to kill every boss without much effort, and once you have 2 bone axes your survivability will be great (if you have enough gear to support it tho, not sure how many Residual Aftermath items you have atm).

arobi

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 07:43:44 PM »
For those that did it without cheating, how on earth did you progress to get to the point where you have the ideal set? According to the google doc spreadsheet shared, it seems like only the Dire Draconic set is possible to complete without killing Syrel'Khan. Add on top of that that many bosses don't even drop a mythic item when killed (why can't the drop rate be 100% with the HIGHLOOT mod?!) and when they do, it is often something that has already dropped several times (I hope I never seen another Dreadful Incognito Amulet, I must have had at least 10 drop by now!).

I booted up a windows VM (mac user) and loaded guts to have a look at he HIGHLOOT mod and the drop rate was 100%. Apparently the HIGHLOOT mod must be loaded before synergies in order to work. So even though I was loading the HIGHLOOT all this time, it was never working. That should make a drastic difference in alleviating some of my frustrations.

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 03:54:07 AM »
Ya it likely will change your loot issues, and the dungeon was created with exactly what Miothan was commenting on as the goal.

a challenging progressive gameplay.

that when you manage to finish a run, you most likely have something you can upgrade each time, until you progress far enough that you have it on farm, it DOES get to that stage, but its a climb, and because of that you will actually enjoy the end result a lot more.
People motivate themselves, and are inspired by others.
--- I love making FUN encounters, the ones that make you scream with terror, and remember them forever! ---
**more awesome then an awesome possum**