Author Topic: Embermage CHARGE and STATIC DAMAGEs  (Read 8212 times)

Craftea

• Synergies Focus Group
Re: Embermage CHARGE and STATIC DAMAGEs
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2013, 11:41:22 AM »
So as I understand it, fixed damage spells are weird in synergies because they aren't benefiting from A) a bigger emphasis on WDPS and B) Higher DPS weapons. This makes them scale poorly into synergies end game content, where mobs have tons of health and armor, yada yada, yes?

The goal is to make sure classes with a large portion of spells that rely on fixed damage aren't left in the dust as more content (harder content) and better weapons are released?

Fixed damage spells suffer in Synergies end-game because the monsters are more difficult (i.e. more HP, damage, abilities) than vanilla. WDPS skills don't suffer as much because Synergies introduces various end-game weapons as well. WDPS would scale into Synergies end-game because of those weapons.

In addition, fixed damage spells scale based on level. Synergies end-game starts when you are lv100. (i.e. your fixed damage spells are fixed) Therefore, they stop scaling completely.

The vanilla classes are completely untouched (as of current), and thus some fixed damage spells suffer from these problems.

I) A hidden passive that buffs static damage attached to weapon item level. The higher the item level of the equipped weapon, the bigger the boost from the hidden passive. No WDPS component, but now fixed spells scale with better weapons. (assuming that each tier of weapons is going to have a higher item level than the previous tier)

II) Tie fixed damage value scaling to Level and Fame instead of just Level? (Did synergies increase the fame cap? Or is that vanilla?) May not be doable depending on how fixed damage scaling is implemented in the game.

I) Personally, I don't agree with this idea. The point of fixed damage spells is to have them be completely separate from the weapon. In a sense, the weapon for builds relying on fixed damage spells is just a plain stat stick. (sort of like the off hand weapon for WDPS-skill based builds)

Fixed damage spells benefit from weapons differently than WDPS spells. WDPS rely on weapon damage a lot, whereas fixed damage spells care about certain affixes (+FOC, +% DMG, +Cast Speed etc.). (Note that there is some correlation between item level and weapon DPS.) It's an appreciable difference between the two types of spells, and removing that kind of difference would reduce the content of the game rather than add to it.

II) Fixed damage spells already scale with level. Scaling to level + fame is not vastly different from scaling to level. May as well simply raise the current maximum values instead of having Salan doing all that extra work. (Synergies has a higher fame cap than vanilla, yes)

sinergistic

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2013, 11:38:03 PM »
Well, ok.

My thinking is thus: Boosting fixed values by a fixed amount is all well and good until the content gets harder again. An 'ideal' solution would be a one time change to fixed spells that keeps them relevant even as the content increases in difficulty.

What about skill mastery shrines? Is the code in place for a rank 15 spell to be boosted temporarily to (and actually get a damage increase from) rank 16? That could be a solution. Not sure what you would tie the boost to though. What about

If (in tablemountain AND level 100)
.....apply FixedDamageSpellRankUp for 1hour
endif

FixedDamageSpellRankUp would just add ranks to spells that only have fixed damage components, and maybe some spells that have really weak WDPS aspects. 1hour subject to change, but it should last a while so you aren't forced into revisiting tablemountain every minute, and it should last through death.

Prevents sub 100's from popping into table mountain for a free damage increase, and could be easily tweaked in the future to offer +2 to rank as harder content gets released, allowing fixed spells to scale.

laian

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2013, 12:53:37 AM »
Compared to the %weapon DPS skills, all of the flat damage skills are pretty terrible.  I would consider buffer them by up to 45% more damage.  Of course, this is from my experience leveling.  I don't see how the trend would suddenly stop once I'm level 100 though.  I've respeced over and over, and pure magma spear has been the only viable build!

Idea: buff focus's effect on fixed damage?  Maybe 2-3x bonus on ONLY fixed damage sources?  Is this even possible?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 01:04:50 AM by laian »

Craftea

• Synergies Focus Group
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2013, 07:24:09 AM »
Well, ok.

My thinking is thus: Boosting fixed values by a fixed amount is all well and good until the content gets harder again. An 'ideal' solution would be a one time change to fixed spells that keeps them relevant even as the content increases in difficulty.

What about skill mastery shrines? Is the code in place for a rank 15 spell to be boosted temporarily to (and actually get a damage increase from) rank 16? That could be a solution. Not sure what you would tie the boost to though. What about

If (in tablemountain AND level 100)
.....apply FixedDamageSpellRankUp for 1hour
endif

FixedDamageSpellRankUp would just add ranks to spells that only have fixed damage components, and maybe some spells that have really weak WDPS aspects. 1hour subject to change, but it should last a while so you aren't forced into revisiting tablemountain every minute, and it should last through death.

Prevents sub 100's from popping into table mountain for a free damage increase, and could be easily tweaked in the future to offer +2 to rank as harder content gets released, allowing fixed spells to scale.

It could check for Quest completion as opposed to applying an affix. (I'm not sure if there is an event/quest associated with coming into Table Mountain, but definitely could use that)

Another possible solution is to introduce affixes exclusive to fixed damage spells. (just like how some affixes are exclusive to autoattacks, and some exclusive to WDPS/auto attacks e.g. attack speed, +raw damage, Convey effects) They would probably have to be different though, somehow......

laian

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2013, 10:11:44 AM »
Where is this on the priority of changes for synergy?  I know that warlock/paladin are the two priorities right now, but I'd like a general estimate.  These changes aren't game breaking overall, but they really do make half of the skills unusable for the embermage and I think the sooner the better :X

dreams

• Synergies Focus Group
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2013, 09:13:54 PM »
Out of curiosity when you guys say flat damage skills have low damage compared to %wdps skills, how low and how high with what skills are we talking about?

Bodo8505

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2013, 05:49:38 AM »
Hello.
The embermage is fine...the dps and hits from my embermage are over 400k almost all the time and i did over 1,2 mil hit ..max dmg...