Author Topic: New monk and assassin classes written for Synergies  (Read 2562 times)

arobi

New monk and assassin classes written for Synergies
« on: January 04, 2016, 03:37:08 PM »
I have just completed testing a new monk class that I have written enough to feel okay to publish it for public consumption. The class is inspired by the forgotten realms monk, having unarmed, sun and moon skill trees. I decided to make this as the monk was always my favorite D&D class.

In addition, I have just added a new assassin class. The previous mod is being replaced that incorporates both the Assassin and Monk together in one mod. The link to the combined mod is below.

Mod location:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=625832587

The assassin class is alpha/beta quality, so I will be working with it and changing skills as necessary to balance it more.

Please read the description for information on the mod page.

Hope you enjoy the new classes.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 02:38:21 PM by arobi »

Rick

Re: New monk class written for Synergies
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 06:25:16 AM »
I'm going to make some suggestions regarding skill descriptions, I know that doing that online is fraught with difficulty, but I hope that this will not impair our otherwise beautiful working relationship.  :D

And I'm not assuming you have much control, I haven't done any modding, so please don't feel like I'm blaming you or attacking you, I just want to help, and I apologise if any of this stuff is frustrating to you too and that you already know about it:

Shockwave:

"Causes all your auto-hits to generate shockwaves" - needs rewording; at a minimum 'auto-hits' probably needs translation into player-lingo instead of modder-lingo ;-)

Kiai:

Does it have a cooldown?  Is it stackable?

Meditation:

I'd replace the reference to HP with 'health', for consistency with how you refer to mana.

Fists of Fury:

"in within" - typo, remove 'in'

Quivering Palm:

"devistating" should be 'devastating' - then the formatting of the mechanics is weird, you've got "50% of Weapon DPS per second" in white, but indented?  So is it still flavour text or not?  Then you've got the standard purple mana and cooldown in purple, and then "Inflicts 100% of Weapon Damage as Physical Damage" and then below that "352 Physical Damage over 11 seconds".

So humour me - if I have a weapon with a Weapon Damage of 100, a Weapon DPS of 120, and I hit with quivering palm ... am I doing:

60 damage per second (for how many seconds?  Just 1?  11?)
plus
100 damage (once)
plus
352 damage over 11 seconds (32 bleeding damage per second)

???

Or should I ignore the white text?

NB: a couple of skills have range as a white text line above the purple mana line, I'd suggest (if the tools let you) choosing a different colour for the range text, yellow perhaps?

Same thing with Find Weakness.  You've got a damage line, mana line, then another damage line.  Is it doing 3% of dexterity as bonus damage in addition to 1% additional physical damage?

Summon Elemental:

"Minions deal 30-37 Physical damage" - I assume that 'minions' means just the Fire Elemental?  I think I've seen the same thing elsewhere in descriptions, so I'm assuming this is an engine limitation.  (Otherwise perhaps 'Elemental deals 30-37 fire damage'???  Fire vs Physical???)

Corona:

"Any foes striking you are damaged by the fire" - ???  How much damage?  Is it a set amount, or a percentage?

Ground Slam:

Has 'radius' instead of 'range'?  (Compare with Awareness)

Supernova:

See comment for Ground Slam.  Also "explosion from your body blinding," should probably be 'explosion from your body; blinding, ' - though I could be wrong with my remedy (English be whack, yo) that 'body blinding' bit doesn't parse.

Solar Wind:

"You are able to inflame the fire on burning enemies, causing additional fire damage on hit of a burning enemy"

may I suggest instead - 'When you hit an already burning enemy the flames intensify, dealing additional fire damage'

Frozen Fists:

"Your fists strike with extra ice damage and slows enemies."  At first I was convinced it should be 'slow' not 'slows' but the more I look at it the more SAN damage I take.  English is like that.  (Sorry)  (Maybe it should be 'slowing' not 'slows'???)

"Damage is only applied to non-skill melee attacks" - I think 'non-skill melee attacks' needs better translation into player lingo from modder lingo.  There was another skill with a similar problem.  (Burning Fists)

Icicles:

Tip of the hat to you for getting the spelling of this one right, I confess I had to look it up online!  ;-)

Northern Lights:

Silly question - what would happen if I was using a shield?  Would I get two shots at reflecting the damage?  Or would it try the first one and only if that one failed would it move on to the next one, or would it combine them into a single chance, or would it just pseudo-randomly pick one?

Waning Moon:

Range vs radius problem.

"Ice damage dealt to enemies in a 4 meter radius" - Maybe try 'Ice damage dealt to all enemies within 4 metres'

Hard Freeze:

Has both a range and a radius!!!?!?!?  :-p

Solar Eclipse:

Does less cold damage than hard freeze?  ???

Immovable Stance:

The last one you list is "+15% Interrupt Resistance", but all the others don't have the '+' sign?  E.g. "15% Slow Resistance".

So is Interrupt Resistance the only one that stacks?

arobi

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 05:53:40 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, I did not spend much time on the descriptions and ensuring my grammar, etc. was in good shape  :o

I'll work on it. In general, the purple color is what the engine shows (I have little control over it except that I can hide it or not). The indented white is a sub-description. So for example, in the quivering palm, I state, in white, what the skill provides (a percent DPS) and the engine shows the actual damage that will be applied (based on the characters current DPS). I could hide the purple text, but I'd have to see if I can make the description purple so that it doesn't look like I manually hacked it (there is no WDPS OT that I'm aware of).

Radius and range are basically the same thing, it is the distance from the character to the target. I'll try to fix anything that I wrote (not from the engine) to keep it consistent.

Shields add no reflection, that is blocking, so the Northern Lights adds missile reflection. Check the journal for what your end % is and at what damage if you have more than one skill / item providing missile reflection.

arobi

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 02:07:28 PM »
Shockwave:
"Causes all your auto-hits to generate shockwaves" - needs rewording; at a minimum 'auto-hits' probably needs translation into player-lingo instead of modder-lingo ;-)

Updated

Kiai:
Does it have a cooldown?  Is it stackable?

No and no. In TL2 no skills should be stackable unless otherwise noted (common to all TL2 classes AFAIK). This is the same basically as the berserker howl.

Meditation:
I'd replace the reference to HP with 'health', for consistency with how you refer to mana.

Done

Fists of Fury:
"in within" - typo, remove 'in'

Done

Quivering Palm:

"devistating" should be 'devastating' - then the formatting of the mechanics is weird, you've got "50% of Weapon DPS per second" in white, but indented?  So is it still flavour text or not?  Then you've got the standard purple mana and cooldown in purple, and then "Inflicts 100% of Weapon Damage as Physical Damage" and then below that "352 Physical Damage over 11 seconds".

So humour me - if I have a weapon with a Weapon Damage of 100, a Weapon DPS of 120, and I hit with quivering palm ... am I doing:

60 damage per second (for how many seconds?  Just 1?  11?)
plus
100 damage (once)
plus
352 damage over 11 seconds (32 bleeding damage per second)

???

Or should I ignore the white text?

NB: a couple of skills have range as a white text line above the purple mana line, I'd suggest (if the tools let you) choosing a different colour for the range text, yellow perhaps?

Same thing with Find Weakness.  You've got a damage line, mana line, then another damage line.  Is it doing 3% of dexterity as bonus damage in addition to 1% additional physical damage?

I updated the description a bit. The white text is additional description, the blue text is from the EFFECTS applied and the text is generated by TL2 based on those EFFECTS. The EFFECTS are applied by AFFIXES which are applied by the SKILL. So in this case, the QP skill hits for a normal hit (the hitting of the palm on the enemy) and applies internal damage. That damage is based on the character weapon damage per second (WDPS). The actual amount the engine is applying is shown in blue.

Same thing for find weakness. The white is describing the actual skill (what percentage of the dexterity). The blue is showing the actual EFFECT applied by the TL2 engine (currently with the character dexterity value how much % is actually applied)

Summon Elemental:

"Minions deal 30-37 Physical damage" - I assume that 'minions' means just the Fire Elemental?  I think I've seen the same thing elsewhere in descriptions, so I'm assuming this is an engine limitation.  (Otherwise perhaps 'Elemental deals 30-37 fire damage'???  Fire vs Physical???)

That is just how TL2 decides to show that EFFECT text. Same as other minions in core classes

Corona:

"Any foes striking you are damaged by the fire" - ???  How much damage?  Is it a set amount, or a percentage?

Fixed (put in a dummy trigger in the skill so that the damage is shown)

Ground Slam:

Has 'radius' instead of 'range'?  (Compare with Awareness)

I fixed awareness to use radius. I prefer radius and use it, although I've accidentally interchanged them on occasion. The range really should be used as an approach range for the character and radius to signify the damage shape radius that is used to find the enemies from the point of skill layout launch.

Supernova:

See comment for Ground Slam.  Also "explosion from your body blinding," should probably be 'explosion from your body; blinding, ' - though I could be wrong with my remedy (English be whack, yo) that 'body blinding' bit doesn't parse.

Description updated

Solar Wind:

"You are able to inflame the fire on burning enemies, causing additional fire damage on hit of a burning enemy"

may I suggest instead - 'When you hit an already burning enemy the flames intensify, dealing additional fire damage'

Description updated

Frozen Fists:

"Your fists strike with extra ice damage and slows enemies."  At first I was convinced it should be 'slow' not 'slows' but the more I look at it the more SAN damage I take.  English is like that.  (Sorry)  (Maybe it should be 'slowing' not 'slows'???)

"Damage is only applied to non-skill melee attacks" - I think 'non-skill melee attacks' needs better translation into player lingo from modder lingo.  There was another skill with a similar problem.  (Burning Fists)

Icicles:

Tip of the hat to you for getting the spelling of this one right, I confess I had to look it up online!  ;-)

Northern Lights:

Silly question - what would happen if I was using a shield?  Would I get two shots at reflecting the damage?  Or would it try the first one and only if that one failed would it move on to the next one, or would it combine them into a single chance, or would it just pseudo-randomly pick one?

Shields do not reflect missiles, they block attacks. Check your journal page for the sum of all your missile reflection and missile reflection damage.

Waning Moon:

Range vs radius problem.

"Ice damage dealt to enemies in a 4 meter radius" - Maybe try 'Ice damage dealt to all enemies within 4 metres'

Hard Freeze:

Has both a range and a radius!!!?!?!?  :-p

Adjusted the tier descriptions

Solar Eclipse:

Does less cold damage than hard freeze?  ???

The solar eclipse damage is far greater as it uses WDPS. The ice damage is really just there to apply the freezing effect. By end game you will notice that flat damage like that dealt via hard freeze is pretty much useless.

Immovable Stance:

The last one you list is "+15% Interrupt Resistance", but all the others don't have the '+' sign?  E.g. "15% Slow Resistance".

So is Interrupt Resistance the only one that stacks?

Nothing stacks, that is just how TL2 chooses to display that EFFECT (I can't change it without affecting all EFFECTS in the game).

I'll be uploading the changes soon. Thanks for the feedback and helping me improve the descriptions.

Rick

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 10:07:48 PM »
Shields do not reflect missiles, they block attacks. Check your journal page for the sum of all your missile reflection and missile reflection damage.

Sorry for explaining that badly, I've been saving in my shared stash a bunch of green/blue shields with missile reflection magic modifiers.  I've also got a unique gloves with some more and a bunch of little chaos gems for socketing even more of it.

The basic idea was a weapons based monk (e.g. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, House of Flying Daggers, Hero etc.), relying on the passives to increase my weapons damage and help with tanking.

I was trying to benefit from the passive which added damage if they were already on fire, but didn't seem to be able to get much out of it.  I was using a fire based weapon with the fire-based 'charge' skill, with a pair of set boots with 5% chance to set target on fire.  And yet ... it didn't do much.

I started running into problems - it didn't take long (lvl ~10) before I could not break shields!  As soon as I switched to fists ... boom!  Shields broken.

I've got another idea I'm thinking of trying - dual wielding 'guns' (or hand crossbows) - as in Equilibrium's 'gun kata'.  I've found some low level hand-xbows with a ridiculous looking dps.  But the previous experiment has made me think that perhaps you've balanced it (for the end-game) so that the fist damage is very high and passive are very low to compensate for that.

arobi

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 12:26:19 PM »

Sorry for explaining that badly, I've been saving in my shared stash a bunch of green/blue shields with missile reflection magic modifiers.  I've also got a unique gloves with some more and a bunch of little chaos gems for socketing even more of it.

The basic idea was a weapons based monk (e.g. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, House of Flying Daggers, Hero etc.), relying on the passives to increase my weapons damage and help with tanking.

I was trying to benefit from the passive which added damage if they were already on fire, but didn't seem to be able to get much out of it.  I was using a fire based weapon with the fire-based 'charge' skill, with a pair of set boots with 5% chance to set target on fire.  And yet ... it didn't do much.

I started running into problems - it didn't take long (lvl ~10) before I could not break shields!  As soon as I switched to fists ... boom!  Shields broken.

I've got another idea I'm thinking of trying - dual wielding 'guns' (or hand crossbows) - as in Equilibrium's 'gun kata'.  I've found some low level hand-xbows with a ridiculous looking dps.  But the previous experiment has made me think that perhaps you've balanced it (for the end-game) so that the fist damage is very high and passive are very low to compensate for that.

My monk class is solely built around using bare fists and not weapons and I'm not sure there is any viable weapon based build with this class. Synergies has a lack of good melee classes and Salan is currently working on the Paladin, so that was another reason I made this. Like the D&D monk, I wanted the ability to have no weapons and have the monk's body become the weapon. The big difference is that in D&D, the monk will gain higher AC with no armor, but I didn't think that would be much fun in TL2 (people are already asking me about weapons for the monk, including you).

Most of the best passives are also built around the bare fists (hence the dual fist wrap requirements). The "big-bang" skills all have cooldowns that make spamming them not an option, they are more for supplemental damage. The Solar Wind passive has a cooldown too which makes it a nice bonus, but not enough on its own. It is basically a clone of the embermage fire brand skill. I originally had it spawning fireballs but I had issues with getting it to target correctly (the documentation out there on modding is poor to be nice, so it is a whole lot of trial and error development).

You can try this build with weapons, but I doubt its feasibility, especially in synergies table mountain based quests. The most feasible build I have built with this class is a fists of fury based character. I was even able to beat the netherlord with a fully equipped penitent FoF monk (died a few times at least though). 

Rick

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 09:36:58 PM »
I loved the Diablo I (Hellfire) Monk.  Awesome defence, could stand in mobs of enemies that other characters couldn't (basically in D1 your defence only applied against the front arc, so you had to try to fight in doorways and narrow corridors where possible to avoid getting flanked).

Best moment - one of my friends is watching ...
and he says "look out, you're going to get surrounded"
and I'm like "no sweat man, I got this"
and he's like "huh, that's pretty amazing"
and I'm like "that's nothing, watch this."
//releases the butcher
"AAARRRRHHH FREESH MEEAT"
him "you should not have done that, now you die"
me "nope"  (stands in middle of room getting mobbed by low level monsters and the butcher, and laying the smack down)
him "holy shit!  How are you still alive."

I wasn't suggesting you add monk weapons.

There is a type of player that if they are told "this class only uses melee weapons" will straight away start plotting and scheming to see if they can make a viable bow build.  See for instance the melee sorceress in D2.

I like trying oddball combos.  I don't expect them to be end-game worthy, though sometimes they pay off (e.g. won a D2 hardcore golem-mancer tournie with an Iron Golem combo, and nobody else even made it past nightmare).
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 09:40:02 PM by Rick »

arobi

Re: New monk and assassin classes written for Synergies
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 02:39:16 PM »
Note that I have change the first post to add in the new mod URL that includes both the Assassin and the Monk.

GotherL

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 10:04:02 PM »
Tbh, I think the melee assassin needs a better spam skill.... In darkness falls assassinate is pointless the delay takes to long and there is no other spam skill besides shuriken which doesn't really do enough damage.

arobi

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 09:37:52 AM »
Tbh, I think the melee assassin needs a better spam skill.... In darkness falls assassinate is pointless the delay takes to long and there is no other spam skill besides shuriken which doesn't really do enough damage.

I have not tested the assassin with a melee build, only a shuriken and poison arrow build. Both were feasible and did enough damage. The poison arrow actually was worse due to missile reflection in darkness falls it seemed. I'm considering changes to the druid at the moment, but will start considering what I could do to make a melee based assassin more appealing.