Author Topic: Revitalize Multiplayer Group  (Read 795 times)

PrimetimeUTK

Revitalize Multiplayer Group
« on: March 17, 2016, 09:41:12 PM »
Hey guys, I've been away from TL2 for a couple years now, but think I have finally Diablo'ed myself out and ready to come back. Also been busy with games like Fallout 4, The Witcher 3 amongst others...and as of last week The Division.

Been playing around with original Torchlight on console some as well (hooray backwards compatibility) and the itch to play TL2/Synergies just won't go away. Re-installed everything a couple days ago and been messing around with mods and mod combinations. Haven't really started up any characters...yet.

I'd like to see something like Potterman's Synelites group return. I'd be willing to try and help organize game times and whatnot. I have pretty consistent window of game time that might not work with everyone's schedule, time zones, etc. My time frame runs between 10pm and 2am Central Time Zone. I occasionally get some time during other parts of the day, but with work and 4 kids under age 6, usually have to wait til everyone else in house is asleep in order to get some consistent/quality game time in.

Anyways, I have a non-steam version of the game, but stay logged into Steam at all times for the most part.

TL2: PrimetimeUTK
Steam: PrimetimeUTK
Here: PrimetimeUTK (obviously haha)

As far as setting times up goes, I can literally almost play every night between that time frame of 10pm to 2am CST. So, we can attempt to setup certain days have SET play times or we can just take it day by day and just message each other to setup games. Either way is fine with me.

Things I'd like to see from group:
- Synergies Mod (most recent update) only. Just makes it easier for everyone to join each other's games.
- Elite Difficulty as it seems to be best and most balanced for Synergies.
- Be flexible for content played. Everyone will have different level or differently geared characters, so playing something that everyone can partake in will be important. Be willing to start a new character if those that are on and want to play are new or have low level characters.
- Be Active and Have Fun. This game is one of my favorites of all-time (and hell, I don't even know if I've ever finished the entire storyline, lol) and it is soooo much better as a multiplayer game.
- Make sure to share build ideas, playstyles, etc. There are so many options out there and there's some people out there who have played 100s of hours and will be full of info, tips, etc.

Anyways, if I get any response or interest in this, then we can come up with some sort of "tag name" for game names. I think Potterman used to put Synelite somewhere in the game name when the old group was going.

For now, I will be playing in game called "Primetime Synergies".

See ya!
Prime
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 11:16:19 PM by PrimetimeUTK »

PrimetimeUTK

Re: Revitalize Multiplayer Group
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 07:27:31 AM »
I started up a Warlock. Still looking for peeps to get some multiplayer going.

PrimetimeUTK

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 08:50:04 AM »
Been on the last 3 nights. Still looking for peeps to play with.

potterman28wxcv

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 01:25:15 PM »
Hey there, glad to see someone willing to give some punch to MP :)

The reason I stopped Synelite is the same reason why I wouldn't be able to start it again : lack of time. Plus Rollcage comes first.
However, I'd be glad to join a couple of games.

As for some recommendations, I'd say that this needs to be organized, or you won't have anyone joining you, considering how scattered MP is right now.

I originally went for the solution of steam group, because :
  • You can see who is online, and possibly invite them in the group chat in the beginning, or chat with them directly (this feature is possible as long as the group does not exceed 50 members)
  • You can set up steam events, which display a "popup"
  • You can have people commenting and stuff

You don't have to use a steam group, but you should use something nevertheless to actually gather people in a global chat independent of Torchlight 2 (IRC, Mumble, Teamspeak, Discord, ...). If you don't, well you will have no way to know if that guy has a problem with the game or if he's actually afk, etc..

Right now I'd say discord is nicer than steam, because it's really a chat, with permanent messages. Unlike steam where you have to go on the group's page and comment on it to have the same effect. Or go in the group chat.. But if no one else than you is in there, it just feels empty.

About what should you play, a few remarks :
  • Allowing other contents than Synergies is fine as long as you make it clear what this content should be. Otherwise, you will end up with everyone proposing his set of mods and it will be chaos.
  • About which character to play, if you just say "take any character you want", one guy will arrive with his lvl 100, will ask people to play with him, and everyone who has a lvl 100 will join him, except the 1 dude who is beginner and don't have one yet. At which point you will have to decide, either you ask every lvl 100 guy to switch to a new character, or you leave the dude alone. Or you split. That was why I was doing a fresh run from lvl 1.
  • But the problem with the lvl 1 thing, is that you really need to lock that character for these sessions. And as you have noticed, it goes very slowly then, and people gets bored out of it. So yeah if I had to recreate Synelite, I guess I would allow any character, so that people are free to continue them afterwards.

And about meetings vs no meeting - the no meeting works if you have a great playerbase. But if you have say 5 people in the group, you have very little chance that you happen to be willing to play TL2 at the same time.. On another hand, if you have meeting days on a particular hour, people are most likely to "block" these hours to be present in it.

You don't have to do only "meetings" though - ideally, if you choose for example discord, if you see someone else being online, you could ask him "yo man up for some tl2 ?".

But this will require a good bit of involvements for whoever is willing to do this. Once stuff are settled, it might work without the original creator - or might not :P (Synelite example : we had games for like 2-3 months, and then I could not attend to it anymore. Even though I had given instructions here and there to continue without me, no one was actually doing it. And I couldn't continue hosting the game every Fridays). But it definitely needs the creator of the group to be present in the first organized games.

Eventually, if you manage to make people use their microphone on Discord (or whatever you choose), this will create bonds between the players, which will be then more willing to join (not because of the game anymore, but just because of plain friendship). That's what happened with the Rollcage group (and I would have liked the same to have been achieved with the Synelite group..)

PS : PrimetimeUTK, weren't you the guy spanwing thousands of meteors with your wand build ? :P

potterman28wxcv

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 06:33:44 PM »
Oh well, you gave me enough hope to do this : http://forums.synergiesmod.com/index.php?topic=5955.msg44466#msg44466