Author Topic: Respec bug, potential cause.  (Read 776 times)

mrfox123

Respec bug, potential cause.
« on: April 23, 2016, 07:25:59 AM »
I'm not experienced with modding,but decided to take a look at the potential cause for the additional skill points on respec bug.
Synergies.1324 and "Respec/Restat potions.21" are the only mods i have.

I did some testing on a newly made necromancer, and found out that "Bubonic Burst" seems to be one skill that triggers the bug while the starting skill "Skull Barrage" did not.

I extracted the mod and took a look at the respec potion itself and could not find any notable issues with it.

Then i took a look at the skill "Bubonic Burst" and saw that the skill was split into ultiple skills. I proceeded to remove the first additional proc skill "BUBONIC_BURST_PROC1.DAT" and the content inside [Level1][/Level1] into the [AFFIXES] part of the baske skill.

I then tried out the bug on a newly made necromancer. Hit level 2, learned Bubonic Plague, used the respec potion and was left with 2 skill points.

So my best guess is that there are issues with the attached skills that causes the extra skill points.

potterman28wxcv

Re: Respec bug, potential cause.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 05:40:22 PM »
The bug comes from Respec/Restat potions. If you use the Respec potion from Salan's NPC, no problem.
If you use the Respec potion from a general merchant, you have the bug.

The Respec potion added by the Respec/Restat potions (so the one that spawns in general merchants) is bugged indeed with Synergies

mrfox123

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 05:43:11 AM »
Disabled the respec/restat mod and made a new necromancer. The respec potion do exactly the same which is utilizing the "RESPEC" Effect. Only difference is that Salam is twice as expensive.

So the fault lies either in the Respec effect or the way the skill "Bubonic Burst" set up.

Though it would seem the respec npc does not trigger this bug. So the easiest option might be to remove the potion so that you don't have to correct all possible skills across the board, and instead remove the 3 skill limit on the respec npc.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 10:55:14 AM by mrfox123 »

potterman28wxcv

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 03:58:09 PM »

Though it would seem the respec npc does not trigger this bug. So the easiest option might be to remove the potion so that you don't have to correct all possible skills across the board, and instead remove the 3 skill limit on the respec npc.
Yes i guess it would be a cleaner solution. If Salan hears us !

arobi

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 11:23:27 AM »

I have the same issue with my Druid class that I created. I'll see if I can find a solution and if I do I can share the solution with Salan to see if we can get it fixed for all classes. My Druid also has skills that are "proc'd" from other skills. What I have seen is that before I changed the skill from "NORMAL" activation to "PROC" was that the skill bar on right-click showed many instances of my additional skill (the one that is fired from another skill based on an event). So what may be happening is that TL2 is actually adding that skill to the player as a level one skill. Every time that skill is called, the player gets another 1-point skill. When you respec you character, all those 1-point skills then get added into the skill point pool and you have way too many. I'll need to see if I can find the TL2 bug that is causing the skill to be added to the player instead of just being cast. I may not look into it right away, but I'll hopefully try soon. If I fix it for the Druid, I can hopefully patch the other classes and send that patch to Salan.

arobi

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 03:05:08 PM »

I have the same issue with my Druid class that I created. I'll see if I can find a solution and if I do I can share the solution with Salan to see if we can get it fixed for all classes. My Druid also has skills that are "proc'd" from other skills. What I have seen is that before I changed the skill from "NORMAL" activation to "PROC" was that the skill bar on right-click showed many instances of my additional skill (the one that is fired from another skill based on an event). So what may be happening is that TL2 is actually adding that skill to the player as a level one skill. Every time that skill is called, the player gets another 1-point skill. When you respec you character, all those 1-point skills then get added into the skill point pool and you have way too many. I'll need to see if I can find the TL2 bug that is causing the skill to be added to the player instead of just being cast. I may not look into it right away, but I'll hopefully try soon. If I fix it for the Druid, I can hopefully patch the other classes and send that patch to Salan.

I did a bit of playing around with GUTS and here is what I found with my Druid:
  • If a skill is referenced by another skill, it will add 1
  • If a skill procs another skill by a triggerable it will add 1 the first time
  • If an affix calls "CAST SKILL" it severely messes up the skill count (+30 in my test for the first cast)

One fix that I found works for issues 1 and 2 is to add the skill to the player file as a level 0 skill that is not enabled. When I did that, no matter how many times I called "resetskills" in the console, it always went back to 100. I have yet to find a solution to #3.

Example of what is causing #1:
Code: [Select]
[EVENT_MISSILEHIT]
[EXECUTE_SKILL]
<STRING>SKILL:DRUID_FURY_DUMMY
[/EXECUTE_SKILL]
[/EVENT_MISSILEHIT]

This reference to the skill DRUID_FURY_DUMMY (even when not triggered, as in the case of this skill) will cause 1 skill point to be added each time the skill is reset. By adding DRUID_FURY_DUMMY to the Druid base class DAT file with level 0 and not enabled, the issue no longer happens.

An example of issue #2 is to have a triggerable like:
Code: [Select]
[TRIGGERABLEACTION]
<STRING>NAME:DRUID_HUNGER
<TRANSLATE>DESCRIPTION:Gain Health on Crit
<STRING>GAMEEVENTTYPE:CHARACTER
<STRING>EVENTCREATOR:ENEMY
<STRING>SUBTYPE:GOTCRIT
<INTEGER>LEVEL:0
<FLOAT>FLOATCONDITION:0
<INTEGER>COOLDOWN:0
<BOOL>USEOWNERLEVEL:0
<BOOL>FILTERSELF:1
<BOOL>SAVES:0
[TRIGGERSKILL]
<STRING>SKILL:DRUID_HUNGER_PROC
[/TRIGGERSKILL]
[/TRIGGERABLEACTION]

Adding DRUID_HUNGER_PROC to the druid base class DAT file with level 0 and disabled prevents the extra skill point from being added onto the character.

I tested all the base classes in GUTS (without synergies) and all work fine with "resetskills". Basically we just need to find the "bad way" of invoking other skills from skills and either patching them or implementing them differently so that skills do not get added to the player, but are only cast from the player.

arobi

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 04:41:27 PM »
Turns out setting the proc'd skill's HIDDEN property to 1 stops the issue.

Salan

• Synergies Developer
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 03:11:47 PM »
this is something i def want to stop happening and will update the mod soon on, im going to work real soon, but will sticky this and prioritize it as immediately needing fix.  Thought I had removed all of those issues sorry.
People motivate themselves, and are inspired by others.
--- I love making FUN encounters, the ones that make you scream with terror, and remember them forever! ---
**more awesome then an awesome possum**

Lothrik

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 11:27:27 PM »
Embermage's Charge Mastery has this bug as well, it refunds 2 points instead of 1 because of the proc "Life Mastery." I'm trying to fix it myself because I'm impatient, but I've never used GUTS before and I'm pretty sure I'm going to break something. :(

Edit: Also, the Charge Mastery heal proc definitely doesn't even do anything.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 01:35:09 PM by Lothrik »